RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can K&N air filter help on MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 08:43 AM
bowen.chau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can K&N air filter help on MPG?

Can K&N Air Filter help on saving some gas?
Old 07-24-07, 09:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

It can to an extent. It and some other aftermarket filters have a more free flow design compared to the stock air filter. Problem is (and one I faced) is that the oil can coat the MAF sensor. What I did was rinse off all oil and reoil a small amount on the front side of the filter (the side that goes face down in the air box).

When I had a K&N many years ago I could notice an ever slight improvement in MPG and acceleration, maybe 1 MPG.
Old 07-24-07, 09:12 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bowen.chau
No. The best way to save gas is to drive with your engine off.
Old 07-24-07, 09:46 AM
bowen.chau
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
It can to an extent. It and some other aftermarket filters have a more free flow design compared to the stock air filter. Problem is (and one I faced) is that the oil can coat the MAF sensor. What I did was rinse off all oil and reoil a small amount on the front side of the filter (the side that goes face down in the air box).

When I had a K&N many years ago I could notice an ever slight improvement in MPG and acceleration, maybe 1 MPG.
Alright, that's fine.
Actually, I have used a K&N filter in my Camry. However, I was told that K&N filter cannot improve the fuel efficiency.
Old 07-24-07, 10:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Alright, that's fine.
Actually, I have used a K&N filter in my Camry. However, I was told that K&N filter cannot improve the fuel efficiency.
It does improve MPG (ever so slightly), but it is not the thing that would even make you say "hmmm, that's interesting".

I have been running no air filter for several years (I don't recommend this), but getting 10 MPG was not fun. For me, part of the issue is high altitude and the other is bad gas.
Old 07-24-07, 02:30 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meetya
No. The best way to save gas is to drive with your engine off.
hahaha!

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Problem is (and one I faced) is that the oil can coat the MAF sensor. What I did was rinse off all oil and reoil a small amount on the front side of the filter (the side that goes face down in the air box).
when i first bought my k&n filter from a lexus dealership (only $25!!!). they said to leave a brand new from factory K&n filter outside (not in direct sunlight) for a couple of hours, so some of the oil will dry up and not clog up the maf.
Old 07-24-07, 09:52 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it did nothing for me.
Old 07-24-07, 10:05 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It might, or it might not. But it does save you $$$ from buying expensive OEM filters at the dealership everytime you service it, or even saving you from buying paper filters ever again.
Old 07-25-07, 12:45 AM
rx300s415
Driver

I have hard many people on my other forum (Mercedes) that when they slapped on a K&N many of them had failed MAF sensors. I only run K&N Air filters on my Lexus and I have only bought one. I did the same thing as zombie. Two days before installing it, I let it sit next to my opened window (hoping the sun and wind will help soak the oil better since it seemed excessively greasy). Only thing I noticed was a slightly louder "breathe in" sound but that can be just me. Also, is it just me or is this scenario the same for everyone: On cold mornings when you're just in a rush for work...you don't warm up...and you drive...Each time the car is about to kick up to a higher gear you hear a loud noise from the engine as if it is breathing in (you actually hear the car trying to breathe-in it seems like....like taking a breath of deep air). Anybody else have this problem? Or do you guys think I just have a gasp somewhere in my air filter box? Because I noticed the box fitted more snug with the OEM air filter than the K&N.
Old 07-25-07, 06:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rx300s415
I have hard many people on my other forum (Mercedes) that when they slapped on a K&N many of them had failed MAF sensors. I only run K&N Air filters on my Lexus and I have only bought one. I did the same thing as zombie. Two days before installing it, I let it sit next to my opened window (hoping the sun and wind will help soak the oil better since it seemed excessively greasy). Only thing I noticed was a slightly louder "breathe in" sound but that can be just me. Also, is it just me or is this scenario the same for everyone: On cold mornings when you're just in a rush for work...you don't warm up...and you drive...Each time the car is about to kick up to a higher gear you hear a loud noise from the engine as if it is breathing in (you actually hear the car trying to breathe-in it seems like....like taking a breath of deep air). Anybody else have this problem? Or do you guys think I just have a gasp somewhere in my air filter box? Because I noticed the box fitted more snug with the OEM air filter than the K&N.
I used to also notice that with the K&N. Now without an air filter, I noticed a huge hiss on start up and when in idle at say a traffic light.

That air filter box can get warped over time. I used to wrap duct tape around it to keep the hot air out.
Old 07-26-07, 08:21 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From my experience with my last car, NO. It will let some sizeable dust bypass the filter and scratch the cylinder walls, resulting in compression loss and oil burning.

So many baloney auto products in the market nowadays.