RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

better handling needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 12:23 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better handling needed

ive been reading forums today and im not sure what to do yet. i want my rx to have better handling, specifically when turning. sway bars seems like the best thing, but that's not possible because no aftermarket ones are made. is there anything that has the same effect? i dont want to lower or raise my car, i just want less lean, better grip and such when turning. other than that, is there anything else to improve handling and control with lowering and such?

--thanks
Old 07-26-07, 08:02 AM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

There isnt much you can do to the car that i can think of besides new wider tires (Slicks/Racing Tires) and upgrading your suspension. When you upgrade your suspension, you dont have to lower it. You can replace the struts and it will feel like you just bought the car (not sure how many miles are on it). Pretty sure that wasnt the answer you were looking for, but i dont think there is a better option. Do u have AWD or FWD? If you had FWD, they do have coilovers for those models :'(.
Old 07-26-07, 09:42 AM
salimshah

Received 1,074 Likes on 967 Posts

You can not transform a kitten into tiger. You can invest in better tires and suspension but that would give you incremental improvement.

Much easier to adjust expectations than actual results.

Salim
Old 07-26-07, 10:09 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ Well said.

You might want to consider TTE's lowering springs. Here's a link to one vendor:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/model/st...id=19&cat_id=7

I just installed these on my 350 and am VERY impressed. Really subtle hit to ride quality and an amazing improvement in handling response. Plus, the drop itself is so subtle that it's nearly impossible to tell the car is lower.

Otherwise your best bet is to go to a larger and wider wheel and a wider tire with less sidewall. This will improve stability, but will do nothing for body roll. It'll also make your ride noticeably more harsh.
Old 07-26-07, 11:59 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

what is the purpose of using lowering springs? forgive me....but i dont know a single thing about suspension or struts or the like. what differences do u notice from using lowering springs that absolutely barely lower your car? what parts make up the suspension? what is the suspension? is that like the shocks or something? what could i do to them (some product names and such)?

--thanks for all the help!!
Old 07-26-07, 08:18 PM
salimshah

Received 1,074 Likes on 967 Posts

The biggest problem with SuV is the high center of gravity. This center of gravity is connected to ground through the wheels (contact patch, side walls, air in tire) springs and shocks. [strut = concentric spring and shock assembly]. When you desire a change in direction of motion, the whole system comes in play and lack of compliance is the floaty feeling you get. If you ride a go-cart the tires are the only suspension components. Lexus (RX) is tweaked for comfort .

Back to your question ... when you lower, [think of inverse pendulum], sway is shortened]. Shorter springs usually will be stiffer too.

Salim
Old 07-27-07, 01:07 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

ok...what kind of lowering spring is the best for improving handling, turning, etc. without making a noticeable difference in the height of your car (brand and model etc.)? Ill do some research, but itd be easier if someone told me because you could answer the exact question and tell me for exactly what im looking for. other than new lowering springs and a sway bar (which im not getting because it impossible), what else can help on turns (reduce body roll i guess)? is what i want the most is something to do basically what the sway bar does. i want my car to not dip so much on turns but rather maintain a 'straighter posture'. any ideas? ill keep searching and if i find something ill post it for others who are interested.

--thanks

Last edited by jg 368 48; 07-27-07 at 02:01 AM. Reason: add info