RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My Poor Door

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 04:03 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Poor Door

Does anyone know where I can find this part missing off my door. It has fallen off once before, but luckily I found it inside the RX, but now it has fallen off again and I cannot find it. I have not yet checked the dealer, but I doubt if it can be ordered alone. Does anyone have any ideas? The only good thing about this situation is that I get to use my new digital camera

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails My Poor Door-rx-door.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 06:26 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick, why worry?! Doesn't matter, unless you tried to pry it off on purpose, it's covered under warranty. Whether they have to order a whole new door or not, not your problem. Take it in ASAP so that they can order whatever they need to fix it.

Example: I made a remark about the front gold emblem "flaking" some kind clear protective layer. Even though the emblems come as a set, they ordered a whole new set and replaced the one emblem.

One may pay more for a Lexus, but you gotta love the service. And if someone out there isn't getting service like this, then you better find a another Lexus dealer.

(I threw that last sentence in in case ***** tried to throw his 2-cents in with his whining about incompetent dealers)
Old 12-27-01, 06:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You know, RX300TC, you're right! I won't worry about it at all. I wasn't sure if this would be covered under warranty, but why shouldn't it be!?! Thanks I'm feel so much better

-Nick
Old 12-27-01, 06:57 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

it will be covered under warranty.don't worry about it.anybody else notice that wwwest is an idiot and he always gives his 2 cents even when hes wrong or no one cares what he thinks.thats just my 2 cents.
Old 12-27-01, 07:42 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default parts shouldn't be a problem

For some reason I, too, had that little piece missing when I picked it up as a CPO vehicle. They simply ordered the part and snapped it back on. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership near you had one in stock. And if they're really a good dealership - they'll just give you the part at no charge (it's not that expensive!).

BTW, looks like you got a nice camera - images look fine!
Old 12-27-01, 09:01 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: parts shouldn't be a problem

Originally posted by satxrx
BTW, looks like you got a nice camera - images look fine!
Thanks, I'm still messing around with it, trying to figure out how to take just the right pictures. It's a Fuji Finepix 4800 - I've finally gone digital. I haven't even had a decent camera is years. Need pictures of something, I'd be glad to take them

-Nick
Old 12-29-01, 06:06 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

lexrx,

How much was that little bad boy?:eek: I need me one of them. Does it connect through USB or do you have to have those stupid card readers?

Danke,

Erfan
Old 12-29-01, 10:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Erfan
lexrx,

How much was that little bad boy?:eek: I need me one of them. Does it connect through USB or do you have to have those stupid card readers?

Danke,

Erfan
It's $499 retail at most stores like Circuit City. I got mine online at http://www.buydig.com It is about $100 cheaper through them. We had to order it overnight close to Christmas, so overnight shipping (basically it was Christmas Eve guarantee) was about $60. Outrageous shipping, but even with that, it was still almost $100 cheaper than at Circuit City when you add 5% tax. Shipping is MUCH cheaper when you don't have it shipped overnight close to Christmas

It connects with USB. It's very simple to do - and the camera itself isn't difficult to use, and has many, many features. It is smaller in person than it looks in pictures. It comes with a base that charges it while connected to USB. You can also hook the USB directly to the camera as well as the power cord (all supplied). It also comes with a 16mb SmartMedia card. Check out http://www.steves-digicams.com He has some very comprehensive reviews.

-Nick
Old 01-01-02, 03:48 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

In case anyone cares, I won't leave this thread unfinished. I went to Nalley Lexus on Monday and, after going through hell with the service department, the door part was replaced under warranty.

-Nick
Old 01-01-02, 04:38 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Just out of curiousity, what hell did they give you? They'll be sorry once the service survey comes from Lexus Corp (we get one everytime there is warranty work done, since the dealer has to make a claim to get reimbursed).

Also, don't forget to list your experience under the Dealer Ratings in the Maintenance forum here.
Old 01-01-02, 05:07 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

what is up with these damn lexus dealerships, they talk about the lexus experience and how they treat thier customers, and then when you have to get something done under warranty, they make people mad and unhappy what is up
Old 01-01-02, 05:31 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Erfan-

I think it's a regional thing. For example, in the NY tri-state area where I live, I have about 5 dealers within a 1 hour driving radius. This enabled me to get the exact vehicle I wanted at an extremely competitive price when we purchased last January.

And when it comes time for warranty work or scheduled maintenance, every dealer (at least 3 different ones) I've brought the vehicle to have gone out of their way for me. They realize that a good part of their income comes from scheduled maintenance and non-warranty work. I've gotten loaners eveytime (even for the quick 1000 mile look over).

I'm not saying all of them are competent, but they all try to please and compete for my business. The one I currently work with the most (Ray Catena Lexus in NJ) has never said no to a single question or request. I mention something is the slightest wrong, they investigate and replace promptly.

An important thing to remember is that a Lexus dealership is a big $$$ investment. The top level folks who run these businesses aren't stupid, they realize a bad rep can break their long term viability. If you are not getting the service you expect, SAY SOMETHING. Give the person you are dealing with (most likely a Service Advisor) a chance to make thgings right. If that doesn't work, go over his head straight to the General Manager. If you calmly explain your case you'd be surprised what kind of results you can get.

FWIW,
TC
Old 01-01-02, 05:39 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default BIG story

Thats what I want to know about it. I think, overall, the Lexus dealers do a good job compared to other dealers, but sometimes it is hard to tell.

Let me elaborate on my story: I called last Saturday to ask about having the part replaced. I was told that "we most likely have that part in stock" and "we are busy today so you can just come by on Monday." Well, on Monday I called just to make sure that they knew I was coming and that the part was indeed in stock. The woman I spoke to wanted to force me onto someone else who was supposed to be my service advisor. I had no idea who this guy was - I don't remember ever dealing with him before. Needless to say, he was out to lunch, then when I called later he was with another customer and I left a voice-mail. It was an hour later when he called me back. I kept telling them that I wouldn't be there long and just need to stop by and have the part popped in place.

That is the short of the phone tag I played all morning. It was ridiculous. I went from front desk to service secretary to parts to service rep back to parts then to service rep again. I was the one who found out that they had the part in stock. I called to talk to a service rep to make sure they new I was coming down and that the part was in stock. The rep just transferred me to parts so I could ask.

Same deal when I got there. There were four cars in front of me and it took FOREVER to get the work done. After waiting in the customer lounge for a while I went back down to the service area to see what was going on. My service advisor didn't seem at all concerned about me. Someone else stepped up to help me, and was actually very helpful. I told him what needed to be done to my car, and that I wondered why it was taking so long. I said if they just gave me the part I would snap it in and be gone. He went and found my vehicle, snapped the part in, and had me on my way. I don't know why my original service advisor could think of this. Think people!! It's a no-brainer. It saves me and the dealer both time.

Even when he asked, in the beginning, if I wanted my car washed and vaccumed, I said "no." I reminded him that there isn't even any reason to have my car in the bay of the garage. Just snap and go. SNAP AND GO PEOPLE!!!

Basically the whole deal just took much longer than it needed to and I spent the majority of my day dealing with it. They didn't even seem all the busy.

Let me also add that, while waiting on Bill to call me back (I didn't think he ever would) I called the service manager to express my concerns. He was out to lunch (it was 1:30). So, I left him a voicemail. He didn't get back to me until 1.5 hours later.

It's a long drawn out story, as you can see, but that is the gist of it. I can see why others have such a bad feeling towards Nally's Serivce. I like Butler Lexus in Macon. The service dept is much smaller and more personal. Even though one of their mechanics stole one of my CD's, they are still my pick.

RX300TC, you're right about expressing your concerns. You eventually have to find someone who cares about what is going on.

-Nick

Last edited by LexRX; 01-01-02 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-01-02, 05:40 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

That is what i thought, I knew alot of them were good places, but hearing peoples stories makes me angry at how they treat people.
Old 01-01-02, 06:04 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default Sorry about your ordeal, LexRX...

Man, what a huge hassle over such a simple and a no-brainer of a thing.

As you may remember, I had the same little plastic piece missing on my RX. But knowing how most service departments work (and Lexus is no different) I merely went thru my salesperson and had him make sure the part would be there. After confirmation, I just went in and picked up the piece and went home. No fuss, no mess.

Admittedly, the Lexus dealership here in San Antonio is fine. They're definitely better than any dealership I had my vehicles (present and past) serviced. And I do like the fringe benefits (i.e. Lexus loaner car and complimentary bottled water, soda, fruit drinks, etc.) However, there's always room for improvement.

I, as I'm sure many as you do, typically try to work with the same service advisor that way they understand me and know what to expect and vice-versa.

As a side note, my best service advisor was at the Acura dealership when I bought my new 1990 Acura Integra. The service advisor I worked with was excellent and really went to great lengths to keep me happy. But on top of that he was honest with repair time estimates and treated me more like a friend and a person and not a bag of cash. That's what I appreciated.

My current service advisor with Lexus, Mike Q., is a great guy and a good example for Lexus service. There should be more like Mike.

I digress, sorry again to hear of your trials with the part, but glad to see it got resolved.

That was last year - now time for 2002. Happy New Year, everyone!

Last edited by satxrx; 01-01-02 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: My Poor Door