RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 09:13 PM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear spoiler

the 2002 RX300 I bought lacks the rear spoiler that I see so many other RXs appear to have. Anyone know where to get one? I have queried Sewell and Park Place in Dallas and will wait for replies but wanted to check with others to see what recommendations might come about. Has anyone ever installed the OEM spoiler and is it a DIY type job? What about painting? Anyone ever try an after market spoiler and are you pleased with the results?
Old 08-06-07, 09:19 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can get an aftermarket one of ebay for pretty cheap. I dont know how the quality though. the spoiler is pretty straight forward. you might need some rubber spacers between the body and spoiler to keep them from rubbing. but attachment is by bolts which you can access through the inside of the hatch. if your RX didnt come with a spoiler then you might have to drill the holes from the outside
Old 08-06-07, 09:28 PM
BBLexus
Driver

I take it from the photo in your profile that you have the spoiler. Is the spoiler a solid material or does it flex somewhat, like the same material as the clading around the lower portion of the bumper? I guess next chance I get in a parking lot I will have to check out the spoiler so what is involved. Should be fun to drill holes...you definetly are commited when the bit starts to turn in to the metal!
Old 08-07-07, 04:28 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BBLexus
... Should be fun to drill holes...you definetly are commited when the bit starts to turn in to the metal!
That's all I heard from my wife after we recently bought our 2002.
"All these other RXs have a wing, I want one too."

I told her 'OK' got out my big drill, put in a 2.5" wood bit and started making pencil marks on her rear door.

She came out, saw what I was doing and said "Nevermind."
Old 08-07-07, 10:21 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I take it from the photo in your profile that you have the spoiler. Is the spoiler a solid material or does it flex somewhat, like the same material as the clading around the lower portion of the bumper? I guess next chance I get in a parking lot I will have to check out the spoiler so what is involved. Should be fun to drill holes...you definetly are commited when the bit starts to turn in to the metal!
I actually have a Rod Millen spoiler but I'm pretty sure it's like the installment is like the OEM spoiler. I think its fiberglass
Old 08-09-07, 10:33 AM
Francis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please read this old thread. I got it from group buy in year 2002'. You also need rivet gun for installation. GL https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=francis
Old 08-09-07, 10:45 AM
BBLexus
Driver

Thanks - I haven't found an actual spoiler that Lexus made, seems the dealers in Dallas / Ft. Worth indicate it is no longer available. I have been perusing the internet and I am finding quite a variance of spoilers for the RX300, pricing from $125 up to $600 and the pictures don't do much to differentiate on the style or material that the spoiler is made from. I'll keep checking and then calling to narrow down what is out there and then see if anyone has selected a similar spoiler so that I can use their experience as reference. One alternative is to try a salvage yard and see if I can remove one that I know is a Lexus OEM spoiler that would be my last resort if I can't find something new that replicates the OEM that Lexus sold. If anyone else has purchase and installed a spoiler recently, I would be interested to know what you bought and how you installed it. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-07, 11:07 AM
gwong
Rookie

Thanks - I haven't found an actual spoiler that Lexus made, seems the dealers in Dallas / Ft. Worth indicate it is no longer available. I have been perusing the internet and I am finding quite a variance of spoilers for the RX300, pricing from $125 up to $600 and the pictures don't do much to differentiate on the style or material that the spoiler is made from. I'll keep checking and then calling to narrow down what is out there and then see if anyone has selected a similar spoiler so that I can use their experience as reference. One alternative is to try a salvage yard and see if I can remove one that I know is a Lexus OEM spoiler that would be my last resort if I can't find something new that replicates the OEM that Lexus sold. If anyone else has purchase and installed a spoiler recently, I would be interested to know what you bought and how you installed it. Thanks again.
Not quite true. I'm sure the prepainted spoilers are long gone, but the unpainted oem spoilers are still available. You just need to order one and have it painted. The spoiler does not come with a template, but a template is available for order through your dealer also.
Old 08-09-07, 03:27 PM
BBLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by gwong
Not quite true. I'm sure the prepainted spoilers are long gone, but the unpainted oem spoilers are still available. You just need to order one and have it painted. The spoiler does not come with a template, but a template is available for order through your dealer also.
I did get a response today on a spoiler at Park Place in Dallas but they want $600, installed/painted. JM Lexus in FL has one for about $250 but needs to be painted, which I couldn't imagine would be much - maybe a $100? And then there's installation.
If I am not going through the dealer, how do I know if a vendor/supplier has a true OEM spoiler?
Old 08-09-07, 03:48 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you wanna buy the one from JM, let me know. I live pretty close and I know a few paint guys. I could help you out over her on my end haha
Old 08-12-07, 09:36 AM
justin311
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a spoiler from ebay. Got it painted and ready to installed. Found out that the pre-drilled holes on the spoiler do not align correctly with the holes on the trunk.
Old 08-16-07, 02:11 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by justin311
I bought a spoiler from ebay. Got it painted and ready to installed. Found out that the pre-drilled holes on the spoiler do not align correctly with the holes on the trunk.
Did you get it sorted out? Pics?
Old 06-29-19, 05:55 PM
dragoneye4
Driver School Candidate

Yeah mine are off too. Doesnt make any difference tbh. Dont waste your time.