RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Warranty ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 05:31 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Warranty ?'s

My rear brakes just wore all the way through without any warning from the “squealers” just metal on metal. I looked at them and noticed that one of the rotors is all rusty on the outside. My guess is the caliper is hanging up and just working on the inside. From the amount of dust/rust on that wheel I would guess that this is where the noise is coming from. I am still under a Certified warranty. So I would assume that the caliper is covered, but what about the rotor? The rotor on the other side looks fine. Do I have a good argument that they should be replacing the caliper and rotor under warranty (assuming it can’t be turned)?

Also, I have that box of rocks sound coming from the servo in the climate control system. That should be covered too, right?

Last edited by carguy07; 08-13-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-12-07, 07:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

The warranty base and extended (certified in your case) are based on years from date of purchase and milage. Since posted in RX300 forum, it is very likely that the time may have run out even if you have not crossed 100k miles.

Brake are wearable items and were not included in warranty and any damage that can be traced to neglect is typically refused. Lexus dealership/corporation has the option to do good-will repairs.

One of the things that gets checked during scheduled service intervals is condition of the pads. Typically the service adviser will either call you to authorize repairs or tell you that by next service time, the pads may be completely worn out.

It may not help you now, but for the benefit of readers, the tell tale signs of pads needing replacement are ... drop in the brake master cylinder and excessive dust on wheels. The squeeler is of very little use as my pads are noisy and with the windows up, ac fan and radio-cd on , I can not hear much of the outside noise in RX. [some replacement pads do not come with squllers and the mechanic has to transfer the squeeler over from original to the new pads.

I dont think the rears have squeelers ... please correct me if I am wrong.

Salim
Old 08-13-07, 07:10 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm still under the Certified Warranty for another 6 months and paid to extend it for an additional 2 years. Let me rephrase my question.

My rear brakes just wore all the way through without any warning from the “squealers” just metal on metal. I looked at them and noticed that one of the rotors is all rusty on the outside. My guess is the caliper is hanging up and just working on the inside. From the amount of dust/rust on that wheel I would guess that this is where the noise is coming from. I am still under a Certified warranty. So I would assume that the caliper is covered, but what about the rotor? The rotor on the other side looks fine. Do I have a good argument that they should be replacing the caliper and rotor under warranty (assuming it can’t be turned)?

Also, I have that box of rocks sound coming from the servo in the climate control system. That should be covered too, right?

Last edited by carguy07; 08-13-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-13-07, 07:43 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by carguy07
I'm still under the Certified Warranty for another 6 months and paid to extend it for an additional 2 years. Let me rephrase my question.

Your question already has the answer ...
If you have the warranty in effect, then the repairs should be covered .. turning .. replacement etc. Both for brakes and the servo.

If the problem is traced down to neglect, failure to take action in a reasonable time or letting the pads to wear beyond safe region, you are at mercy of Lexus goodwill. Give it a try, and many customers came back happy and some disappointed. For any outcome, you have to take it to the dealer.

Wish you luck.