RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

? about Changing Transmission Fluid when it's hot - how much to put back in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 04:01 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about Changing Transmission Fluid when it's hot - how much to put back in?

I know that the transmission fluid expands when it gets hot ... so if you drain the tranny when it's hot and you get out say 4 quarts or so of fluid ... and this is fluid that has expanded due to it being hot ...

How much fluid (which is cold fluid) should you put back in to not overfill it?

The same 4 quarts or 3? Please post!

Scott
Old 09-02-07, 04:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

It depends on the manner in which you drain.

What kind of RX is it, an AWD or FWD and how are you draining and filling the tranny (front differential and pan, just the pan, and if AWD are you draining via cooler)?
Old 09-02-07, 07:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

I just did mine (FWD) simple drain and fill. I drained the transmission and the transfer-case ... 12mm hex tool. I measured how much came out ... 4 bottles of Toyota Type IV.

Dont forget to buy new crush washers [torque 36ft-lbs].

Salim
Old 09-02-07, 10:38 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
It depends on the manner in which you drain.

What kind of RX is it, an AWD or FWD and how are you draining and filling the tranny (front differential and pan, just the pan, and if AWD are you draining via cooler)?

Just regular drain and fill. It's an AWD.

Why I ask is after I did the drain and fill - 4 quarts came out (car was hot) and I put 4 quarts in.

Today I thought perhaps I should just go ahead and check the level, so after being out for a while in the car and coming home, car was hot, and still running, the level on the dip stick was highter than the hot section by over and inch.

So I thought that perhaps putting in as much fluid as came out might be wrong if you take a measure of the fluid when it comes out hot due to the fact that it expands when it is hot. So I took my mightyvac and sucked out about a quart of tranny fluid and now it's just at the hot mark on the dip stick. I plan on checking the level again over the next couple days to make sure all is good.

I'm just trying to figure out how much to put in next time based on how much comes out - since this time it got over filled. Or maybe there was too much in there to begin with and I didn't know it. this is the first time I've changed it myself and I did not check the level before I did the drain and fill.

All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-02-07, 10:51 PM
salimshah

Scott:

Trans level is checked with engine running, trans in Park

Salim
Old 09-03-07, 05:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

When I change out my 99 AWD and do just the front differential and tranny pan, I put back in 4 quarts, as that is exactly how much came out usually.

I used to fill a little more for cooling reasons (and don't panic if this happens), but have recently been leaving tranny dipstick slightly open at top to alleviate that issue.

As Salim mentioned check it with engine running and trans in park. From a dead cold start, an RX300 should normally be at maximum temperature in Park at around 13 minutes or so if you want to be 100% sure on the level.
Old 09-03-07, 09:31 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

I have been checking it with the engine running and the car in park. That's what I meant when I posted above that I checked it with the engine running. Obviously the car was in park or I'd been chasing it down the street trying to get that darn dipstick out! Ha Ha!!!

Well, I'll just keep checking the level to make sure that when the car is hot that the dipstick level is on the hot notch. I just want to make sure it has enough fluid. The next time I change it with a drain and fill I'll put about 2/3rd's of what came out in - run it around for a little while - and then check the level with the car hot, running, and in park - and add more fluid if needed.

Perhaps the car just had too much fluid to begin with from the last time the mechanic did the drain and fill and I didn't realize it. This is another reason I want to do it myself to make sure it's done right. It sounds like when you guys do a drain and fill putting in the same amount that came out is fine.

And just to make sure - on the dipstick the hot level is the upper v cutouts and the fluid should be reaching here. Correct? Let me know. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-03-07, 02:35 PM
salimshah

Chasing a driverless RX would be a sight to see.

As long as you put in four bottles after draining both the trans and the trans-axle you will be fine.

One other thing you need to do is to rove through all gear positions, waiting about 30 sec at each detent. This ensures that all chambers get full.

Salim
Old 09-06-07, 11:14 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ATF usually does not expands to that big of difference, it would be nice if you checked the ATF level before but you should be in good shape from now on, which is what you really care about, right?
Old 09-08-07, 06:55 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I have found, from lots of experience, that 4.2quarts is perfect. I change my fluid every 15k miles or less. By the way that is for AWD RX300....