RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

15,000 mile service cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 03:06 PM
billyboy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15,000 mile service cost?

Just called my nearest Lexus dealer to set up appointment for 15000 mi service. This particular dealer (Westmont, Illinois-Chicago area) is charging $450.00.
Called around to three other dealers and the three other dealers averaged around $310.00. I just had four new tires put on last month so all four said to knock off about $50 for the not needed tire rotation.
Whats everybody else paying for the 15,000 mile service?
Billyboy
Old 01-05-02, 10:09 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Question

What's all involved in the 15K srevice? We just broke 16K and didn't do anything special except the oil change although I do think the tires are in need of balancing.
Old 01-05-02, 11:30 AM
billyboy
Rookie

Default 15k service

They tell me (local Lexus dealer) that this is a major service. They claim the engine oil, transmission oil and differential oil's are all changed.
I checked the book and the only thing required at 15k is engine oil and filter, rotate tires and road test vehicle. Under inspections it calls for exaust pipes, brake linings etc, steering linkage, ball joint dust covers and inspect differential oil.
Where the Westmont, Ill dealers gets off trying to charge someone $450.00 is beyond me (includes tire rotation).
I just spoke with another Lexus dealer in Highland Park, Ill and they are changing the trans oil and the differential oil along with the engine oil just like the dealer in Westmont. According to the maintenance log book, the transmission and differential oils are only to be changed at 15k under "Special operating conditions" NOT nornal driving. They are ripping people off big time. When I questioned the service department in Highland Park as to why they are doing all of this unnesscary "expensive" maintence he turned around and told me an oil change is $45.00. All I want done is what the maintence books requires. He couldn't tell me what the price of that is, just the oil change price.
I plan on calling Lexus on monday and informing them of some of there dealer practices.
Old 01-05-02, 12:04 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Billyboy,

I took my RX to Woodfield, found it to be the cheapest in the Chgoland area. I paid approx $280. Don't recall exactly what they did, but did what was required in the Lexus Manual. They tend to be the cheapest for oil changes also, $28. I get mine done at every 5K, not at 3700miles as some of the dealership want you to. If you drive mostly on the highways, you can get by with oil changes even at 7.5k according to the manual. The 5K service (as the dealership call it) costs about $80-90, which is just a waste of money. The only thing that they do extra from an oil change of $28, is tire rotation. Take the RX to NTB, they rotate them free of charge.
Old 01-08-02, 03:55 PM
Francis
Pole Position

I think 15k service is not a major service. I only changed engine oil/filter, rotated tires and cleaned air filter at 15k miles.
Then I changed Transmission oil, air filter, coolant… (the 30k miles service at S.CA. Longo Lexus $320) at 30k miles. And my RX runs fine.

Good Luck!
Old 01-10-02, 02:05 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Default Francis

Are you the one with the 99 RX who put on the 2001 clear taillights and did a few other things to revise the look of your RX?

The reason I ask is I remember that you put a chrome "L" in the center of your steering wheel, and am interested in finding out:

1. where did you get it?
2. how much?
3. installed it with glue on top of current plastic "L"

Appreciate the reply... Thanks!
Old 01-10-02, 02:45 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default money to burn

If you have the excess cash then do whateevr the dealer says.

If you want to save your money and spend it on what YOU choose then unless you're using your RX as a Taxi the first major service is at 90K miles. Up until then every 15K service interval should mean:

$30 for six quarts of Mobil 1.

$12.00 for a LEXUS oil filter.

$18.00 for an engine intake air filter.

$50.00 for an A/C air inlet filter.
Old 04-10-02, 02:38 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Hi!

Thanks for this thread, I/ve learned a lot.

One final thing though... I have a 99 GS300 with only 15K miles on it. I dont' drive the car much (only 5K a year).

Do the regular rules of 1) oil change and 2) transmission fluid change apply?

What I mean is, you're only supposed to change oil every 3-5K miles but does that apply to cars driven only 5K a year? (I guess I'm asking , "are fluid changes mile based or mile/time based?"

Also, tranny flushing/changing. I still haven't done mine (I've got 15K) and I was planning on waiting for 20K or maybe even 30K to do it. Is that too long a wait?

Ryan
Old 04-11-02, 03:55 PM
dmk
Driver School Candidate

Default maintenance

My dealer seems to charge about $450 for every service. Then I happened to receive a flyer from a dealer in Ohio, which was for about $229. The issue is what services are performed. In most cases, the dealer performs many services NOT recommended by the manufacturer. The way they get around this is to say that the manufacturers service interval is for "normal" usage, "but of course in our climate, we recommend shorter intervals." As an example, my dealer "recommends" changing tranny fluid every 15,000 miles. No manufacturer requires this.

The Lexus web site only gives the mileage intervals, but does not specify services to be performed, (giving the dealers freedom.) BMW actually specifies services, such as coolant change for every interval thru 200,000. Have you seen a Lexus factory service interval?
Old 04-12-02, 07:57 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

Last edited by malhokc; 04-12-02 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-12-02, 07:59 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

This is what the MFG requires for a 15K service

REPLACE
OIL & FILTER
ROTATE TIRES

INSPECT
EXHAUST PIPE & MOUNTINGS
BRAKE LININGS & DRUMS
BRAKE LINE PIPES AND HOSES
BRAKES PADS & DISK
STEERING LINKAGE
STEERING GEAR BOX FOR LEAKAGE ONLY
BALL JOINTS & DUST COVERS AND DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS
DIFF OIL
DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS
RETORQUE DRIVE SHAFT FLANGE BOLTS
TRANSFER CASE OIL
AIR FILTER

REPLACE FOLLWOING IF DRIVING UNDER SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS (TOWING, ETC)
REPLACE TRANSFER CASE OIL

BOY, THIS LOOKS A LOT LIKE THE 5 K SERVICE OR JUST AN OIL CHANGE.
Old 04-12-02, 05:38 PM
fire
Driver School Candidate

Post 15,000 mile service cost?

You guys are right. There are dealers who are recommending maintenance above "normal usage" in the owner's manual. This "normal usage" menu also includes oil changes at 7500 miles and no recommended trans fluid or pcv valve change EVER. I've heard dealers say to change your oil every 5k if you own your car and every 7.5k if you're leasing. Ever heard of engine oil gelling? Sludge? Personally, I change my oil every 3k. Cars are better now, but trust me, going by the manufacturer's minimum maintenance schedule will get you just far enough out of powertrain warranty before repair bills set in and it's time to buy another new car. Keep in mind...manufacturers are under pressure from the EPA to keep fluid change intervals longer and are under pressure from JD Power and the like to keep regular maintenace costs minimal for the first year or two of ownership.
Lexus dealers have made their money since 1990 on LS customers who aren't so concerned with what is done and for how much. They'd just expect their car to drive nice and smooth and get good customer service. Lexus has made it's money of late on the sales of countless RX and ES models. You've already witnessed a change in the dealer's recommended maintenance (getting cheaper) and you'll continue to see it wherever there is competition. There are plenty of Lexus (Lexii?) out there now and if the dealers won't cater, others will and do.
Old 04-20-02, 06:55 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Do as the manual says and you'll be OK! But more importantly, KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!!!
Old 04-20-02, 04:03 PM
hudoff
Driver School Candidate

I posted this in another forum and I it may really belong here so with the permission of those folks who already read it I'll repost it

I bought a Lexus RX300 on March 9. I had previously owned Mercedes Benz's. The Lexus was the best experience and also I think the best vehicle. The shopping experience was wonderful and the dealer almost perfect except for a little discussion of why I needed "Lo-Jack" <g>

What I didn't like was the recommended "locally determined" service costs.

For example:
5000 mile Oil Change 44.95
plus 14.95 to clean and test the battery!!
(I've owned cars for a zillion years and never cleaned or tested my battery <g>.
34.95 to clean and adjust the brakes. (at 5000 miles)?

Oh, BTW I think the 1000 and the 5000 mile service are on the house so they can clean and test and change whatever they want.
I just may paint a little red dot on the battery to see if they really "clean" it <LOL>

Hold on-- at 15,000 miles it gets even better:

44.95 for the oil change
37.95 for an air filter
74.95 transmission service (they want to add "conditioner")
14.95 for that battery thing again
32.95 for wiper inserts (no windshield replacement necessary <g>
14.95 for cooling system service
104.95 to replace the differential fluid!!! Am I missing something here?
34.95 for the brake service.
The total is 385.60
Obviously the 30,000 is 595.50 and the 60,000 mile is:
a whopping 782.95.
I'm going to check the owner's manual and see if what they say is really necessary

Oh my, do they have to make all their money from the service
department.

Shame on them and shame on me if I fall for any of that.
Well, what is your experience?

Looks like I'm back to changing my own oil with synthetic for much, much less. Also I can look at the battery when I'm under the hood for zero dollars!!

Many of the premium cars have built in oil quality meters and very lengthy service intervals. My MB ML-320 needed service at about 12,000 miles according to the meter on the dash. I did call MB and they verified that they would not need me to come in before the indicator told me to. It has something to do with the viscosity of the oil I think. Also many of the premium cars have all service costs included. Yes I knw that I'm paying for them somehow so TIA for the comment.

Looks like someone has to step up to the plate and get Lexus to pull their dealers back into compliance with the owners manuals.

In all the threads I've read about the general dissatisfaction with service costs, I've never read any reply from a dealer or dealer rep defending the practice of over maintenence. Hey, if you pull a trailer or use the car for a taxi in stop and go driving then it makes sense. C'mon clean and test a battery at 5000 miles and thereafter, that's a joke and everyone knows it is. It's $14.95 of pure profit for the service department

OK I challenge anyone reading this to justify the 5000 mile battery cleaning and testing routine. OK I can admit that you need to check or add some water at intervals but what else.

I need someone to give me a good argument for some of these dealer perscribed maintenence steps and all you long term Lexus owners are certaintly the experts, that's for sure. Make me feel better in spending my hard earned $595.00 for the 30,000 mile service.

XXX Lexus dealer I'm disappointed in you. At least you gave me the schedule and the prices in advance. BTW, if the service was included with the car I'm sure that the battery cleaning and all those fluid changes would be as unnecessary as they are now.

Just my frustrated two cents worth.

Thanks and enjoy the laugh,
Howard
Old 04-21-02, 07:19 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Dealer support NOT!

Not in support of anything the dealer says but I have seen lots of new batteries sold because the owner couldn't recognize the difference between a "dead" battery and a poor electrical connection due to a slightly corroded battery terminal.

This most commonly happens IMHO in the early spring so it is a good idea to clean, wire brush, and tighten, those battery terminal at least once a year.

I am absolutely not a fan of Lexus dealer service, my 92 LS with 80k miles hasn't seen the inside of the dealer shop since 93 and I may even go to a different, non-Lexus shop to have the 90k, timing belt done.

Quick Reply: 15,000 mile service cost?