RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help with rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 12:44 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with rubbing noise

2000 RX300 AWD 78,000

I've noticed a quiet rubbing noise when I make sharp turns going >10mph.

The noise itself sounds like it's perhaps coming from the wheel well. It's rhythmic and has a cadence of the wheels or axle turning.

If I just make a "regular" turn, no noise. It's only deliberate sharp turns eg. in a parking lot that I hear it. I can't tell if it's coming from the back or front. I hope to have a buddy get in the car and stick his head out and try to determine where the sound is coming from.

I see no tire rubbing marks. I even stopped by a AZone and they looked over the tires and didn't see any rubbing.

So I'm thinking something with the brakes, C/V joint, wheel bearings or something else.

Any assistance on helping me pinpoint the problem would be appreciated. TIA.
Old 09-17-07, 01:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Hard to say, but only rubbing noise I know of is with the lower rubber support on the shock mount (shown below). I have to replace these a few times over the years and they are probably due for a changeout in another year. Mostly everything else in that area makes a clank, even the lower suspension arm bushings. Bearings and brakes also make more of a clank than a rubbing noise. I've actually got a bunch of mystery sounds on my RX, some I am aware of what they are and plan to take care of them in due time.

EDIT: Actually another one that it could be is the steering column needing lubing. Mine makes a rubbing type noise and about every 3 months I get it and the rest of the vehicle washed underneath and greased up.
Attached Thumbnails Help with rubbing noise-img_0811.jpg  
Old 09-17-07, 02:39 PM
81corolla
Driver

Thanks for the info Lexmex. You're right about the rubber sleeve on the shocks. Some of mine have tears in them. Is replacing them a DIY? Or do you have to compress the spring, remove the shock, etc?

As for the rubbing, I decided to put the car up on ramps and take a look. Nothing really out of the ordinary except more rust. :-( In fact, I found some clamps that are rusted out. They probably aren't the rubbing noise, but probably do explain why the car growls a little during acceleration. :-)

I've attached a couple of photos. The first has arrows pointing to the ring clamps that are shot. They simple spin freely over the exhaust pipe. Presumably I can get new ones, fit them over the pipe and tighten them up.

The second photo is of the flange from the forward exhaust to the Y-joint (there must be a proper term for that piece.) You can see one of the loose clamps, but I can't believe how much rust is on that flange. It's just flaking off and the bolts are completely shot. Is there any preventative measures on this? I wish stainless steel was used.
Attached Thumbnails Help with rubbing noise-exhaust.jpg  
Old 09-17-07, 02:45 PM
81corolla
Driver

This photo is of the flange from the forward exhaust to the Y-joint (there must be a proper term for that piece.) You can see one of the loose clamps, but I can't believe how much rust is on that flange. It's just flaking off and the bolts are completely shot. Is there any preventative measures on this? I wish stainless steel was used.
Attached Thumbnails Help with rubbing noise-flange2.jpg  
Old 09-17-07, 03:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Wow. I have never seen so much rust. In that first photo, I never had a piece like that around that tube in front of the converter. I figure that piece can probably be removed. My uncle and I know of a spray to prevent further rusting (kind of something similar to Ziebart in the states) that is used down here. I had this done about 2 years ago at a shop near my uncle, since we get a lot of rain in Mexico City during the middle part of the year. However, since I have done my exhaust modifications (tubing) I haven't had any trouble with the rain.

My godfather has a 93 GMC Typhoon (that's the little SUV that had the stock turbo) and it also has similar rust and he is just going to go over to an exhaust shop and have the tubing replaced and the joints (those pieces with the bolts as in your second photo) just replaced with pipe. In Mexico, for my RX300, this would run a few hundred to fabricate the tubing and labor, but not sure about the U.S.

On the rubber supports, you do have to the compress the springs. Another thing I do is spray WD-40 and and some lithium grease in the groove to keep the squeaking down.