RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Problem - Help: Spontaneous not wanting to idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 04:07 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Problem - Help: Spontaneous not wanting to idle problem

Yup, the worst types of problems. Spontaneous (can't demonstrate it to the dealer - that's why).

Problem: When I would start the car up, it would turn over, idle for a fraction of second, then completely shut off.

Time being remedy: I would just give it a little gas to keep it idling, and would drive, but while driving, it still will not idle at stops, therefore, i would have to manually keep it idling.

The car drives flawlessly, no lights on the dash, but it just will not idle. The thing is, after driving it for a while (10 - 15 mins), like during the occurrence today, it would drive regularly.

What is the problem? This has happened a few times before, but it would randomly do it. No hard driving, regularly maintained by the dealer. Maybe IACV?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 09-29-07, 04:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I would also check out your MAF sensor to make sure the red diode is clean as are the two wires inside of the MAF (the latter being key and often forgotten). I have had what you had occur before and followed steps like I had in the sticky on gas mileage at the top of the forum and no issues after that. What can occur is for a while from start up, vehicle will act just as it did for you. Then as the vehicle's ECM or computer adjusts to the air intake readings it is getting...gradually...then it will adjust to normal.

Now, one may ask, well should'nt it adjust the first time. If everything else is normal it should, but not if there is a dirty sensor, bad IACV or someting else amiss. In addition, air temperature, humidity, etc, vary and also factor into this.

Barring that, likely the IACV valve has gone bad.

Now, I will add something else. You are able to check out the OBDII code in the vehicle's computer, since as you mentioned the vehicle did go out on you and I am pretty sure a CEL would have resulted. In that case, it is stored as a PD or pending code that is still retrievable via an OBDII scanner and that code would be invaluable for us in helping you further.
Old 10-01-07, 01:57 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the awesome response LM, i'll check the sensor and try to find a code although there weren't any check engine lights after the ordeal.

I'm hoping the IACV is an easy fix and is the problem. Thanks for the very detailed response once again.
Old 10-01-07, 02:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
Thanks for the awesome response LM, i'll check the sensor and try to find a code although there weren't any check engine lights after the ordeal.

I'm hoping the IACV is an easy fix and is the problem. Thanks for the very detailed response once again.
There should be a pending code in there when the vehicle dies, even though the CEL may not come on.