RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Rear Suspension Failure???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 04:42 PM
big lar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 Rear Suspension Failure???

Hey everyone

Mom's RX300 was involved in an accident last week. She lost control, spun, tipped, but didn't tip over...

So, my question. Any other reports of rear suspension failures, in the AWD versions? The insurance rat bastid says it was mechanical failure. I've never heard of a single failure of the rear susp on any Toyota/Lexus product. (Front susp/ball joint is ENTIRELY different!!!) Even the dudes at the collision place affiliated with the Lex dealership said this was their first.

Anyone? Anyone?

So, anyway...mom is 72. Maybe a tire was low? There WAS a screw in one of the (deflated) rears...did she have a blowout? Sudden deflation?

Any input is welcome!

(Oh yeah. RX had $6200 in damage, and ins. will pay to fix it, and mom was OK to go on her trip to VT!)

Thanks!

Last edited by big lar; 10-02-07 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 05:54 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I havent read of any such failures on this site or the other site. could have been anything. but if it failed tell us what the body shop finds specifically. Maybe a u joint broke......That can happen, but usually gives lots of warning.
Old 10-02-07, 06:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

big lar,

I agree with thomas1. If you could take a photo or describe where this occurred on the vehicle, I can give you a better idea on a failure and why.
Old 10-03-07, 04:39 AM
big lar
Driver School Candidate

Because the RX is still on the ground, I couldn't really get a good suspension pic...
Attached Thumbnails RX300 Rear Suspension Failure???-brohman8-051.jpg  
Old 10-03-07, 04:40 AM
big lar
Driver School Candidate

Another pic...
Attached Thumbnails RX300 Rear Suspension Failure???-brohman8-055.jpg  
Old 10-03-07, 05:04 AM
big lar
Driver School Candidate

Stupid me...I think I threw out/recycled the estimate from the shop , so I can't tell you what all they want to replace. But I think you can see where the end of the stabilizer bar was.

I'll see if I can get them to tell me when they hoist the truck, and lay out the broken bits, etc.

Any other questions, just ask!
Old 10-03-07, 06:32 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought about this, and everybody is not the same, but my mother could cause something like that as she is not as acute as she was once. Maybe your mother hit something on the road, but the other thing I noticed is a great deal of corrosion...here in California we dont get that, but maybe the corrosion caused a failure of a suspension link....
Old 10-03-07, 06:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Not this past Saturday, but the previous Saturday (and I didn't have my camera with me), my uncle and I replaced a torn drive shaft boot. In addition, I some slight clanging/sway on one of the front rightside inboard joint shaft (the one closest to the transfer case). However, we had to pull both joint shafts out to do this, including the outboard one closest to the wheel (this was some sight). My uncle took a mallet to the subassembly and managed to get the inboard shaft out of it. This is what happened to you above, only the force came not via a mallet.

I see this happen in Mexico quite a bit.

Again, given enough force, this can occur and if a mallet can do it, so can a car crash where the forces are much greater.

Last edited by Lexmex; 09-20-11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 06:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thomas1
I thought about this, and everybody is not the same, but my mother could cause something like that as she is not as acute as she was once. Maybe your mother hit something on the road, but the other thing I noticed is a great deal of corrosion...here in California we dont get that, but maybe the corrosion caused a failure of a suspension link....
Also a possibility.

I have seen rust/corrosion on suspension units that was just enough to pop something out of place. We get the problem here because we get a lot of rain, but rarer to see it in an SUV than a car since it sits up a little higher.
Old 10-03-07, 08:22 AM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

I notice the stabilizer bar sheered off, ... the stab is not supposed to keep the rear wheel from being pushed out/in. If for some reason something broke and the wheel does have, out/in motion the stab will try to hold but eventually shear off.

From the looks of it (can be deceiving) the wheel was subjected to sideways force [rut/railroad track or side impact] which the current state could not handle. Either the force was excessive or the things that hold the wheel sideways had weakened over time. BTW the front wheels suspension is beefed up for this side to motion, while the rears are not expected to be subjected to excessive sideways impact.

really reaching (you have been warned)
If the wheel is properly inflated and you get a sideways push, the rim to tire seal breaks and you get flat tire but it does provide a give. Again it is a matter of the weakest link giving in first.

Finally: The sight is not uncommon (aftermath of an accident) but happening on its own .. this would be the first time. My gut says it is either a shoddy repair job in past (which you did not mention) or rust. For rust, look at the other side or the front on the same side. For shoddy repair, look at vehicle history or missing nuts/bolts.

Salim
Old 10-03-07, 08:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never heard of a spontaneous suspension failure on a RX. From the looks of the damage to that wheel, it would seem that Mom smacked a curb at speed, possibly as the result of a tire going down. The impact with the curb could have broken the lower suspension arm/bar and pulled apart the CV joint.

Your Mom is lucky to have not have been injured in the incident - and to have a son who is looking out for her.
Old 10-03-07, 11:11 AM
big lar
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, all, for your inputs and responses.

My bad...upon further review, it looks like the stabi bar is up top, and that's a sheared link...look forward, and you can see another link...similar bushing and bolt set up.
Old 10-18-07, 12:07 PM
jimmouse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like one of the two lower control arm broke at the toe adjust bolt mntg area, as shown near right bottom of the picture. The second arm is at the up left of picture. I replaced one of mine for about $200 (parts + labor).