RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

YEA!!!!! Took Delivery last night, heres the pics and impressions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-02, 07:38 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YEA!!!!! Took Delivery last night, heres the pics and impressions!

Drove about 70kms (40miles??) last night, all i have to say is im very very HAPPY. In case anybody cares, i got a Gold 02' RX with beige interior basically no additional options except a full tint that includes the front windshield. I even have the sales delete the roof rack and everything.

Exterior:
I never really like the looks when it came out because i thought it look like a bug or something from Mars. I got it for mom here in taipei, but mom cant drive so its like a Xmas+birthday present to me, hehe, because mom's E class and chrysler was submerged by flood damage in taiwan couple months ago.
I really like the gold color, and gotten used to it after 5 seconds of seeing my car being preped. I used to dislike the looks and now i like it. One thing that i notice that might be different from the ones i see in cali is the exhaust tip. They added a chrome tip thats is thicker and bigger than what i have seen and it actually looks better now. But im sure i'll swap the whole thing for a Greddy or something. If i stay in taiwan any longer. Other than this little detail, my RX is no different than others in the u.s.

Interior:
I really like the tan interior and the feel of the leather, but i dont really like the small bi-level rows of buttons of the ac/stereo controls, its too complicated and not easy to get used to on my first day. Then there's the stereo: taiwan doesnt have the nakamichi or mark whatever u call it option, so this "stock" stereo plain SUCKS big time, since i only BUY black music, all the bass and other goodies cant be heard and when i turn it up to wake the neighbors, it just cracks and sounds BAD!!!! Also there are like 3 blank buttons around the center dash that i dont know whats used for, maybe other options like rear rador sensors, etc. And where is the 4wd button?? My last pathfinder had a big-a$$ lever that shows everybody that i have 4wd, but im told this thing is all automatic so thats why it doesnt have a button, but how do i know when its engaged? i never go off road anyway. One last thing, the seat memory for seat control does not include the mirrors???!!!! whats up with that??!!
All in all, im very satisfy with the interior..................EXCEPT FOR THAT POS they call a stereo!! SERIOUSLY!!! COME ON!!!

Driving:
Driving this thing in the crowded streets of taipei is a nightmare. I cant really see the motorcycles and cars beside me and its hard to calculate the distance of my mirror with other car's mirrors. People miss each other by MMs here, not inches!! Im never scared when driving a new car, but this time i was down right nervous and was keep smoking after i parked! and im suppose to quit! Since im on break-in i dont want to rev over 4000rpm, so i dont really know how powerful this car is. But i was impressed with its smoothness and power delivery of this car, it feels strong thats all i can say. I can easily run ahead of taxis and motorcycles from a stop light. Then theres the steering, its very smooth and everything, but its very very light and not as communicate as most sedans i driven. Even my pathfinder has better road feel and its heavier. But the smoothness is really Lexus smooth...... The ride is also very good, very SMOOTH again, cutting 4 lanes weaving back and forth feels like a sewning machine, very good. Its also very quiet, i guess this is what they call lexus quiet. But if i drive fast over rough road, the suspension skips or hops over them instead of absording them......just like my pathfinder before.

Overall:
Im very impressed with my first lexus and regret i never thought about it untill 3 days ago when i went to see one. And the only reason i got it, its because of Lexus's reputation and this Rx's price. I got this one for U.S$51k thanks to local stupid tax laws.
I can go on and on about my impressions but i dont want to bore you with something u guys already know!=)
Look at these pictures i attached when im taking delivery. Oh, and the lexus service was pretty good here in taiwan too, not as good as the U.S service but good.

John.
Attached Thumbnails YEA!!!!! Took Delivery last night, heres the pics and impressions!-p1010061.jpg  
Old 01-10-02, 07:39 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default One more...

Attached Thumbnails YEA!!!!! Took Delivery last night, heres the pics and impressions!-p1010062.jpg  
Old 01-10-02, 07:41 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Another one....

Attached Thumbnails YEA!!!!! Took Delivery last night, heres the pics and impressions!-p1010063.jpg  
Old 01-10-02, 07:42 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Another one....

[....
Attached Thumbnails YEA!!!!! Took Delivery last night, heres the pics and impressions!-p1010064.jpg  
Old 01-10-02, 09:34 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Do you have a full side view picture? You said you have front tinted windows, does it match the rear mirror tint? If so, how well, and what brand tint is it!?

If you have 4WD, it is really an AWD system. You don't have any levers or buttons or anything. On your pathfinder, you probably had part-time 4x4 where you could push a button or shift a **** and put it into 4x4, then you could multiply the torque by putting the vehicle in netrual and putting the vehicle into low range. The RX is basically AWD which means it is 4x4 all the time. It sends power to the wheels that need it. Primarily it is front-wheel drive, but power is directed to the rear wheels as needed. There really is no way to tell the difference b/t a FWD and AWD RX short of looking under it and seeing the rear differential.

-Nick
Old 01-10-02, 09:57 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default I'll take more pics later on

The tint i have is 3m's slightly gold metallic, but i think the windshield one is of a different shade, because otherwise u wont able to see out at night. So far i have not look at it long enough under the sun to tell u if its a exact match, but it definitely looks the same or almost. Its that small triangle window in the front that the dealer didnt tint, i'll have them do it, but now it looks good like a backlight in the interior.
In taiwan anything is legal and doing windshield tint is quite common due to the sun and the occasional drunk chick in the back seat!=)
Im pretty sure that i have 4wd, because it says so on the title, unless i got cheated!=) So there are no buttons?? Now, thats a minus in the show off factor.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LexRX
[B]Do you have a full side view picture? You said you have front tinted windows, does it match the rear mirror tint? If so, how well, and what brand tint is it!?
Old 01-11-02, 07:30 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LexRX
The RX is basically AWD which means it is 4x4 all the time. It sends power to the wheels that need it. Primarily it is front-wheel drive, but power is directed to the rear wheels as needed. -Nick
I hate to disagree with you Nick, but this is utterly wrong. Don't let ***** fool you. The 4WD version (yes, that's what it says on my invoice sticker 4WD, not AWD) is full-time 4WD, torque is split 25% to all 4 wheels, when the vehicle is driven.

Sorry to nit-pick, but I start to get the ******* (pun) thinking that folks start believing *****'s rantings. It's like believeing you could go 25k miles without an oil change
Old 01-11-02, 09:47 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by RX300TC

I hate to disagree with you Nick, but this is utterly wrong. Don't let ***** fool you. The 4WD version (yes, that's what it says on my invoice sticker 4WD, not AWD) is full-time 4WD, torque is split 25% to all 4 wheels, when the vehicle is driven.

Sorry to nit-pick, but I start to get the ******* (pun) thinking that folks start believing *****'s rantings. It's like believeing you could go 25k miles without an oil change
I don't see you disagreeing, I should have been more clear. Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was the amout of power sent to each wheel would vary depending on the traction needed, and that the RX is built as a FWD and not RWD vechile. I wasn't trying to endorse anthing ***** says. I ignore all of his AWD postings.

I didn't know the specifics on power distribution to each of the wheels so I wasn't too specific.

-Nick
Old 01-15-02, 02:03 AM
jamesquan
Driver School Candidate

think you git the wrong car for Taipei....but, if you can make it through the traffic withthe Rex, you can drive anywhere in the world with your eyes closed.
Old 01-15-02, 11:10 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

U are absolutely right!! Its my 6th day with the car, and it took just about 5 days to really not be scared, maybe another week i'll get it all down and not be afraid to go thru side-streets that are narrower than most people's bathrooms.

[think you git the wrong car for Taipei....but, if you can make it through the traffic withthe Rex, you can drive anywhere in the world with your eyes closed.]