RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: Which is better?
RX300
42.31%
RX330
57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

RX300 better or RX330 better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 01:55 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Having owned both a 300 and a 330, I have to side with the newer model - but it isn't a simple case of the later model being more developed, there are very minor trade-offs.

The longer wheelbase of the 330 gives a bit more legroom, especially in the back seat. It also improves the ride, eliminating most of the pitching motions experienced on undulating roads. The 330 is a superior handler, with a good deal less body roll. Some of that is an artifact of the "optional" 18" wheels and lower profile tires. While the 300 tends to roll a bit in the corners, it does not affect the ultimate speed at which curves can be negotiated. You just have to recalibrate your sensory inputs. There is something French about the handling dynamics of the 300, as anyone who has helmed a Renault or Peugeot can attest. There is some loss of ride quality with the 330's more taut suspension, but it is a good bit less disconcerting to the novice driver. Other than that, the 330 cranks up the overall "luxury" feel a good deal over the 300 with improved acoustics and isolation from the environment - except on hard acceleration when those extra ponies start to paw the earth.

Offroad, the 300 is the superior mount. Again, it is wheelbase that makes the difference - a bit higher stance and larger breakover angle makes boondocking a bit less stressful. The early 300's used a viscous coupling to drive the rear wheels, but when they added the juddering braking of the VSC to drive output torque to the "slowest" wheel in '01 or '02, they wrecked what had been a smooth transfer of torque for a marginally better go-anywhere capability. The newer system works alright at crawling speeds, but the occasional hammering and banging of the brakes trying to redirect traction at anything over a walking pace on a slippery surface is out of character with Lexus. The new AWD coupling returns to an improved version of the original configuration on the latest 350's.

On the highway, the 330's slightly stiffer suspension is a bit less smooth, but it handles heavy weather and crosswinds better, thanks to its slightly lower stance and longer wheelbase. As noted, the turning circle of the 300 is a joke - requiring a three-point turn simply to get into a mall parking space.

We are only talking about tiny differences here - many people will not notice anything but the greater power and improved turning circle of the 330. None of these differences are deal-breakers. An RX of any vintage is an excellent road car that combines flexibility with a good deal of luxury to make a great tourer. It hauls more than a sedan, but it is not a minivan or a truck - it provides a luxurious ride, but it will never compete with a pure luxury car, it is silent for anything with sporting intentions, it has a surprising ability to traverse less-than-ideal surfaces out where the pavement ends, but it will never be a real offroader, and although it handles very well, you have to add - "for an SUV".
Old 01-12-08, 07:54 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having a RX300 for a few years now, and being able to afford a RX330/350, by me not "upgrading" to the new RX tells you that the two are close and then 330/350 is not a significant change to warrant a change. If the 2010 RX comes out and looks much better, then I might finally take the leap and trade in my 300.
Old 01-13-08, 07:47 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently had a RX350 loaner when my RX300 was in for service.

I really liked the improved turning radius. But, I really missed some of the storage spaces like the coin holder in the left dash and the two drawers in the center console. The "pit" in the center console and the larger glove box give more cubic inches but they are not as user friendly (i.e., usable).

I'm not optimisic about the next RX redesign. Cars seem to be getting larger with each redesign. Maybe the next RX can replace the GX and they can come out with an IX about the size of the RX300.
Old 01-14-08, 05:59 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I'm not optimistic about the next RX redesign. Cars seem to be getting larger with each redesign. Maybe the next RX can replace the GX and they can come out with an IX about the size of the RX300.
I agree, each succeeding generation of RX seems to be getting a bit larger and unwieldy. Somehow the market segment seems to demand a third row of seating, and personally I'd rather not see that happen to the RX. Its size is just fine for couples, small families, and empty-nesters. If someone wants to haul large numbers of people, a van or a bus is available to answer the need.

After many years with large, truck-based SUV's I found that the third row of seats was almost completely useless. Adults don't really fit, access is poor if undignified, and the primary use for deploying that seat is to keep the cargo placed behind it from rolling forward out of reach of the tailgate.

Lexus needs to redesign the GX and LX - moving them away from the 4Runner and Land Cruiser to a more modern platform, giving them useful third rows to silence those who believe they have to haul a family reunion with them to go to the grocery store. Leave the RX alone.

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-15-08 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 06:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I very much agree on the GX and LX. In Mexico I only see the 4Runner and the Landcruiser and especially of course in the latter case when I took a trip home over the holidays, there is not much distinguish either of those fine vehicles when you take a look at the real value and price.

I will say this on the new RX that will appear, LEXUS IS listening to these comments on the size.
Old 01-15-08, 08:46 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree that the size should not get any bigger. At some point, each generation of vehicle gets bigger and bigger, and then the manufacturer ends up putting in models to replace the smaller sizes they use to be. With that said, I would not mind having a "non-functional" 3rd row in a small RX, just for those times when I will haul more than five. I can still throw my kids in the back. I wouldn't put any adult back there, except maybe my in-laws... ha ha, just kidding. Throwing in an "in-law" joke there.