RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

OEM Nav Installation w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 03:27 PM
jtstitzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am pretty sure that I have the tapped the correct wires for the speed sensor and the diagnostic. The connectors that were missing are the 'clamps' that squeeze on to the wire that is being tapped and then inserts into Lexusaudio's wire on the harness. Do you happen to know if all the clamps are for 22-18 gauge wire?

It looks like the original owner was in MA. All the saved addresses are MA. I deleted them all. The navigation is tracking and moving as I drive, but it is tracking as if I am in the state of MA. Is there some type of reset for the computer? The "GPS" sign that you spoke of is not there, but like said the tracking on the screen is there and voice guidance is working.

As far as the air, the fan works and it powers on but the "AUTO ****:OFF:FRONT:MIRROR, REAR DEFROST...etc" buttons you do not light up, nor does anything appear on the screen for temp/fan control.

I hope Lexusaudio responds soon.
Old 04-03-08, 03:55 PM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order for your GPS to track your current position/location, the word "GPS" should be there on the top left of the screen. Look at my pictures and you will see what it looks like. If you are not receiving a GPS signal it will never tell you your current location, but yes it will move as you move while thinking you are still in MA. Is your antenna connected to the computer? There should be 3 connectors behind the computer. N3, N4 and GPS Antenna.

As far as the buttons, I'm not sure as to why they are not lighting up. Could be a fuse? Not 100% sure. Gus will know.
Old 04-07-08, 10:38 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the problem was the late 2000 milenium model had different dash wiring. i have sent janice a pdf with the correct speed sensor and tc wiring connctions. everything will work once these 2 wires tapped to correct wiring. the 1999 and late 2000 rx300 both had different wiring harness than the 2001 and up rx300 models. i have done nav retrofits on 3 99 models and 15 2001 up models but this was the first late 2000 model which was manufactured right before the rx300 nav became a factory option with 2001 models. the speed sensor wire on the late 2000 is on engine ecm connector e9 pin 22 instead of e6 pin 22. so the dash harness was totally changed 3 times from 1999 to 2001 then it stayed the same for the rest of the run of rx300 in 2002 and 2003.
Old 04-10-08, 12:06 AM
micnn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jtstitzer, congrats on your success. I am curious to know how the bluetooth integration went? BT will be the biggest incentive for me to go the same route.
Old 05-02-08, 06:26 PM
audioboy
Driver School Candidate

I was going to wait until everything was 100% complete to post but I decided to go ahead and write up how things are going so far anyways.

First of all, lexusaudio is fantastic and will be there at every turn to help. Yosh has also answered some of my questions, so thanks to those guys.

I installed the nav system, Gen4 2 weeks ago. I added the bluetooth option and got a VAIS Tech unit for my Ipod. Lexusaudio and I are still working through the kinks of the Parrot Bluetooth unit as it's not functioning properly yet. I will post more later after it's been fixed. The VAIS unit is great. I will point out a few of its aspects that I really like and how it works.

1. It automatically "presses" the "I agree" button each time you start your vehicle for you after about 10 seconds.
2. When you press the CD button, you toggle between the 6 disc changer and your Ipod. The Ipod is registered as "CD Changer". The 6 disc changer is just registered as "CD".
3. When on the Ipod screen, you have 12 disc buttons. Each of those 12 buttons are playlists in your Ipod. So you can make those whatever you want in Itunes - genre, artists, etc. This will help you remember because as has already been stated in this thread that you DO NOT get text capability with the RX300 nav screen.
4. You have 2 control mode options. The first is for the nav screen and all CD controls to control the Ipod. You can seek, skip tracks, random, and each disc button will select a different playlist. In this mode, you are locked out of controlling the Ipod itself. Second is what is called "simple mode" which you obtain by pressing SCAN repeatedly about 8 times. Now, you can control the Ipod itself like usual and the audio controls from the RX300 are non-functional.
5. The Ipod charges while the vehicle is turned on and pauses it when you turn it off. So, it will automatically start playing where it left off when you restart the vehicle.
6. You can match the volume level of the Ipod to your CD changer so they are the same when you switch sources.

I am actually a beta tester for VAIS for video playback on the nav screen with Ipod. I am working with them to see if it will work. I received a 2nd video harness yesterday and we're working on it. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

The nav is awesome. The override is easy to do with the screen trick so POI and addresses can be entered while the vehicle is on the move. The nav can save you gas by getting you there quickly and safely, which is very important as high as gas is now! Its capabilities are extremely comprehensive and I learn something new it can do everyday!

The installation will take you most of a Saturday so don't plan on doing much else that day. A friend is recommended for help.

Last edited by audioboy; 05-02-08 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 10:18 PM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that the main obstacle is installed and working properly. I mite just splurge and get that VAIS adaptor for my i-Pod, seems worth it. Please do let me know if you get the video to work, cause thats a cool tool to have.

-Yosh
Old 07-05-08, 08:28 PM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

BUMP

for an incredibly awesome thread
Old 07-15-08, 11:18 AM
tangalanga
Driver School Candidate

Very Good Thread!?!!? I just recently purchased a RX and wanted to ask has anyone made a DVD player compatible with the screen when not using the Navigation?? I am really considering adding navigation to the car but DVD package would just put icing on the cake.

Thanks, and This forum is great.
Old 07-21-08, 08:32 PM
micnn
Driver School Candidate

Talking

I finally replaced the gen3 nav to gen4 on my 2003 gs430. The installation is just plug-N-play. It took less than 10 minutes. After seeing the difference of the two generations, I'd say anyone who is relying on thier nav at all should seriously consider this upgarde. The biggest improvement IMO is the search function. In gen3 it's just helpless. I'd say gen4 turns the table around that it even exceeds my old Garmin nuvi 660 and quite easily the later 760 as well.

To my surprise though, this upgrade affects mostly the navigation portion. A/C and AUDIO remain original. The thing that I was looking forward to was the Trip Info, which in original setup would show all the MPG info in one single page with its flashy MPG bar... oh well.

I am also looking at coastaletech's lockpick. Would it be another plug-n-play? It looks like I could just do this hack in the trunk. Any info? I would go for the ultimate lockpick just to be in preparation of the next upgrade... hehh Lexusaudio, I hope you are reading this !?
Old 07-09-09, 02:14 PM
chs.1982
Driver School Candidate

I want this exact one! You did this 2 yrs ago so this can't be 1500 bucks anymore? Where can I find this! Please help!!! I hate this stock blue info screen, lame.
Old 07-09-09, 09:06 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im actually about to do it on my car and its still around 1500-1600 if you want the gen 4 computer. get in touch with lexusaudio he is the man for this sort of thing. If you want PM me for details.
Old 07-09-09, 10:45 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Anyone know if gen 5 works when upgrading from gen 2? The plugs look the same shape and size as my gen 2.
Old 07-10-09, 11:52 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

aww man. this is such a clean install! but i no have $1500 *sigh* stupid economy
Old 10-18-09, 09:10 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gus + Jon,

Im getting a no external source connected message when i try to go into the map/ nav functions. Other then that everything works- I did notice that the antenna no longer just goes up for radio but rather comes up when the car turns off and goes down then the car turns off...is that normal with nav? Im guessing my computer is from a Gen 3...Gus how much would it cost me to swap out for Gen 4 (assuming mine is not broken and something is just not installed right). Give me a heads up guys.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-10, 02:10 PM
ryan813
Driver School Candidate

I didn't have any luck on ebay, can't message lexusaudio directly because of security measures for the site.. bleh. Any pointers on where these kits can be ordered from?
Thanks,
Ryan

2002 RX300

Quick Reply: OEM Nav Installation w/ Pics