RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Stripped the wheel lock, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 08:08 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stripped the wheel lock, now what?

Just had my winter tires on at Discount Tire. As usual, they over-torqued my wheels, so I wanted to re-torque them myself.

It wouldn't bulge even with my entire body weight on. Obviously over-torqued. Then the whole thing gave suddenly. I felt off the wrench and the wheel nut still didn't move, but the wheel lock tread is damaged and I couldn't put it back on. The wheel nut itself appeared to be OK.

Where can I get the lock replaced other than Lexus? I have the 5-digit code.

Do I have a claim against Discount Tire, though I am the one who actually broke it?

Thanks.
Old 11-11-07, 08:19 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The stud (bolt) looks OK? I would be tempted to take your RX back to Discount Tire, have them set a torque wrench to the proper spec (76 ft-lb / 103 N-m, I believe), and see if they can loosen the lug nuts while you watch at anything close to that reading. My guess would be they can't, and that should cinch your claim against them for overtorquing. Do you think that would work?

I seem to recall the coded lug nuts are made by McGard. Maybe they can replace yours with the documentation you have. Otherwise, I can't think it would be TOO much money (hopefully!) from Lexus.
Old 11-11-07, 10:58 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

One should tighten (torque) the key-lock as the last nut and when undoing the lug-nuts, it should be the first one that should be loosened.

I would start by visiting or calling the Discount store who did the install. Pass along the key number and Lexus dealership parts phone number.

Salim
Old 11-12-07, 09:32 AM
jimmouse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to me also. I bot a new one from McGard and removed all lock nuts. The key is too soft. BTW, they raised the price now, but come with life time warranty.
Old 11-12-07, 07:38 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Thanks to all who responded. I found some wheel locks on eBay. The seller just needs to know the model/year. I wonder if the wheel locks are identical for the entire model. The pattern in the pic looks exactly like mine. Please take a gander and let me know. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-12-07, 10:44 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Replacing all 4 with new key seems like a better idea, than trying to locate one matching your old key.

Salim
Old 11-12-07, 11:09 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I just went through something similar. PM me.

see this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=313028
Old 11-15-07, 09:04 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys. I found my McGard key info and just ordered a wheel lock key for $10. If I can un-do the lug nuts with the new key, I'll probably just let it go. Otherwise I'll raise hell with Discount Tire.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 11-16-07, 12:01 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

remember to relieve tension on the keyed nut, by torquing the other 4 lugnuts.

Salim
Old 11-17-07, 10:11 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Good point. I usually just do the criss-cross pattern and un-torque the keyed lug nut when I get to it. Will do the keyed lug nut last when I get my new key. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-08-07, 03:27 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

UPDATE: Discount Tire really came through for me.

I drove through an accident scene and got a leak in a tire. So I took it to Discount Tire to get the tire patched and showed them the stripped wheel lock key. I told them what happened and politely told them that I was not accusing them of anything. The manager simply said that he'll order me a new set free of charge and fix the tire for free without me asking. (wow!) They used some special machine to remove the wheel locks.

So I picked up the set of wheel locks and key today. It's the genuine Toyota locks made by McGard - not some cheap knock-offs. Discount Tire offered to put them on for me, but I politely declined and put them on myself.

Of course, I wish that the whole thing didn't happen in the first place, but I was very pleased with the way Discount Tire handled the situation. Also, I learned that when filing a complaint, politeness and courtesy can get better results.

On a side note, the McGard key that I have ordered just arrived in the mail today as well. They've raised the price to $14.99. Though I may return it for credit (not refund.)

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 12-08-07, 06:00 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

I have used discount tires and find them A+.

The odd thing is that no-single attitude gets you the desired results. Being polite and firm wins out most of the times, but again not 100% successful. After intentionally trying out different techniques, I have come to the conclusion that you need to go with the one that is most comfortable and genuine to "yourself" and let the cards fall as they may.

Salim
Old 12-11-07, 04:56 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
...After intentionally trying out different techniques, I have come to the conclusion that you need to go with the one that is most comfortable and genuine to "yourself" and let the cards fall as they may.

Salim

It's kinda silly watching a nice guy trying to get tough.
Even more entertaining is the Jack Nickelson technique.
The words used are as polite as can be but, the facial expressions well...
Jack Nickelson does it best.
Old 01-24-09, 12:06 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring this thread back.

My key is somewhat stripped and 2 out of four nuts are too. So I was thinking of just getting a new set(I don't think you can order nuts from McGard can you?)

Got the car used and can't find the wheel lock documentation.
How can I determine if a pack of wheel lock works on this car? Some type of number system that I should know of? Also I heard of ball/cone style. Somebody please explain a little. Thanks!
Old 01-24-09, 01:08 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0
Hi guys,

Sorry to bring this thread back.

My key is somewhat stripped and 2 out of four nuts are too. So I was thinking of just getting a new set(I don't think you can order nuts from McGard can you?)

Got the car used and can't find the wheel lock documentation.
How can I determine if a pack of wheel lock works on this car? Some type of number system that I should know of? Also I heard of ball/cone style. Somebody please explain a little. Thanks!
I just went to Toyota and bought 4 lug nuts and through out the the locks. Locks never last if you are going to let tire guys remove and install them. Even the good tire guys that claim they only use a torque wrench often use a impact wrench to remove them. Mine did manage to last 6 years with a torque wrench only tire guy before the key broke on a over tightened one. I even had a label on the key "do not use impact wrench". I feel much better now not worrying about that key.

Last edited by mikey00; 01-24-09 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Stripped the wheel lock, now what?