RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Trans Oil, can't get a good read

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 08:46 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Oil, can't get a good read

Just did a drain and fill and can't seem to get a good read on the trans oil dipstick.

Before I drained, the reading on the dipstick was like 3 inches above the "hot" mark. The engine was ever so slightly warm.

Drained the trans fluid from the pan only. I measured approx. 4.5 quarts came out. I refilled 4 quarts, turned on the engine and ran through the all gears. Let the car warm up and then tried to get another read on the dipstick. Still 3 to 4 inches above the "hot" marks on the stick.

Couldn't get a good read so I didn't want to fill anymore incase of over filling. I let the car sit overnight and took a read this morning. Car was dead cold and the stick stilll read about an 1.5 inches over the hot mark.

I know I didn't over fill compared to what I drained. How can I get a better read.
Old 11-12-07, 09:14 AM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

You read with the engine running and trans in park.

Look for the solid line across and not the high marks at the edges.

Not an easy task ... as you have to clean and re-insert (again and again) to get a good read.

That is why I measure the drained fluid and fill with the same quantity.

Salim
Old 11-12-07, 10:52 AM
cogon
Driver School Candidate

My way of measuring is this way. While engine running & place stick shift in rear position. Make sure to apply the foot breaks. Then I pull the measuring stick and wiped clean. This is the trick here. When you insert back to get the measurement, pull back right away as soon as you hit the bottom. Do not let it idle at the bottom. My idea here is that while the engine is running, the fluid is obvioulsy splashing inside. By doing this, it will minimize the chance of bad reading on the fluid level. -- A soon as you pulled it back, take a reading because it may slowly drip and have another chance of a bad reading.

Let me know if this helps.
Old 11-12-07, 01:56 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by cogon
My way of measuring is this way. While engine running & place stick shift in rear position. Make sure to apply the foot breaks.

I cant visualize this... did you mean to say N-> Neutral and auxiliary brake or Park->Pushed all the way to the front. I don't think that you meant rear->R->reverse with Auxiliary brake

Salim
Old 11-12-07, 05:13 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
You read with the engine running and trans in park.

Look for the solid line across and not the high marks at the edges.

Not an easy task ... as you have to clean and re-insert (again and again) to get a good read.

That is why I measure the drained fluid and fill with the same quantity.

Salim
Thanks Salim. I did measure the drained fluid, but wanted some feedback as to why my trans oil was inches above the dipstick. This is my second time doing the drain and fill. The first time "I think" I over filled it a little. So this time around, I wanted to be as accurate as possible.
Old 11-12-07, 05:15 PM
hitthepin
Driver

My way of measuring is this way. While engine running & place stick shift in rear position. Make sure to apply the foot breaks. Then I pull the measuring stick and wiped clean. This is the trick here. When you insert back to get the measurement, pull back right away as soon as you hit the bottom. Do not let it idle at the bottom. My idea here is that while the engine is running, the fluid is obvioulsy splashing inside. By doing this, it will minimize the chance of bad reading on the fluid level. -- A soon as you pulled it back, take a reading because it may slowly drip and have another chance of a bad reading.

When you say "rear position" do you mean reverse? If so, why?

I'll have to assume this is a 2-man job if the car is in gear. One to stomp on the brakes and the other to take the measurement.
Old 11-12-07, 05:50 PM
edbro
Rookie

I check mine in park. The only problem I have is that when you add fluid, it takes a very long time for the dipstick to clear. If I check it within 10 minutes of adding fluid down the dipstick tube, it will smear all the way up and down the dipstick.
Old 11-12-07, 09:50 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I flip the dipstick over and find the fill level everytime. The smear is usually on the front....
Old 11-13-07, 10:02 AM
cogon
Driver School Candidate

I cant visualize this... did you mean to say N-> Neutral and auxiliary brake or Park->Pushed all the way to the front. I don't think that you meant rear->R->reverse with Auxiliary brake

Salim
Yes, engage transmission to reverse and apply the parking brakes. The idea is in case car moves while it is engaged with parking brakes applied, it will not go forward while you are in the process of checking the fluid. I hope that will not happen, but make sure the parking brake is in working condition.
Old 11-13-07, 10:53 AM
salimshah

Now I understand what you were stating BUT, why in gear? Although the Owner's manual does not tell how to check trans level, my understanding is that the trans must be in PARK and engine idling to check*. Your method is risky, which can be mitigated by 2 ppl on job, but what is the source?

[* If you ask "Salim what is your source to check in Park" ... it is simply based on various posts ... which we all know can be flawed ]

Salim
Old 11-14-07, 10:09 AM
cogon
Driver School Candidate

Now I understand what you were stating BUT, why in gear? Although the Owner's manual does not tell how to check trans level, my understanding is that the trans must be in PARK and engine idling to check*. Your method is risky, which can be mitigated by 2 ppl on job, but what is the source?

[* If you ask "Salim what is your source to check in Park" ... it is simply based on various posts ... which we all know can be flawed ]

Salim
I tried both ways. Before I drained the original factory fluid, I checked in Park and it showed well over the markers. Then, I tried my way as discussed it meets the markers on high level side. So, I decided to use where I have to engage the transmission for accuracy of filling the fluid. --- Maybe you can experiment both ways and let me know what your getting.
Old 11-14-07, 09:06 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by carguy07
I think you were already over filled and just overfilled it again. They whole sysytem only holds 4.1 quarts and you did not drain the torque converter or cooler which will hold a full quart themselves.

Pan should only dump about 3.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rx300h...id_change1.htm
I don't mean this as an argument, but I'd have to disagree about the entire system only holding 4.1 quarts. I may have overfilled it, but 99% sure the system a lot more fluid.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220061
Old 11-15-07, 09:51 AM
cogon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hitthepin
I don't mean this as an argument, but I'd have to disagree about the entire system only holding 4.1 quarts. I may have overfilled it, but 99% sure the system a lot more fluid.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220061
I agree with you. When I had replaced the original factory fluid, it measured about 4.5 quarts.
Old 11-15-07, 06:17 PM
hitthepin
Driver

I agree with you. When I had replaced the original factory fluid, it measured about 4.5 quarts.
Thats about what I refilled to this time. The first time I replaced the factory fluid, I think I overfilled a bit. This time I want to try and pin point the right about.

I have a few more drain and fills to go.
Old 11-15-07, 09:11 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Couldn't get a good read so I didn't want to fill anymore incase of over filling. I let the car sit overnight and took a read this morning. Car was dead cold and the stick stilll read about an 1.5 inches over the hot mark.
Follow these steps for proper reading - preferably in a cold morning. Don't start the engine yet.

#1 - Remove the tranny dipstick and wipe clean. Leave it out.

#2 - Start your engine.

#3 - Shift through all gears - stay at least 5 seconds in each gear. Put it in Park.

#4 - Insert the dipstick and quickly remove.

#5 - Check BOTH sides of the stick and take the lower reading.

#6 - Don't bother with another reading, as some fluid has smeared up inside the tube. Further reading is futile.

#6 - When you get home from work, repeat #3-5 for warm reading.

Quick Reply: Trans Oil, can't get a good read