RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 10:05 AM
faylow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission upgrade...

Hi all,
So i've started a post on the other site:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...1&#entry271701

Didn't know if it was proper to repost the full question and good answers received there already....but maybe you guys have good thoughts as well?

Anyone DIY with upgraded transmission?
Anyone gone with IPT Trans or PRTrans and what was price/experience?

If it's better to just post the main question from over there here let me know, and i'll do that instead...again, just trying to find the best upgrade alternative for any RX owner instead of the same oem rebuild.
Thanks!
-k
Old 11-12-07, 06:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

fayow, welcome to the Club. I have read the posts and I agree with wwest and always good to hear other opinions.

I plan to go with IPT Trans in the future to firm up my AWD tranny on my 99. Only guy I know of that has done work with IPT and a 1MZFE is Tony Leung with his 1994 Camry turbo, http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/HomePage.html

As far as if you need this, it really depends on whether you plan to keep your RX300 for a long time, I do, and I also plan to boost it in the future, though my early idea is taking a light-compression turbo off of a 1.8T Audi or VW and putting in my RX, and that probably will not require a tranny upgrade.

You also may want to take a look over at www.toyotanation.com (that is where Tony posts sometimes) in the Camry section or over at www.solaraguy.org (where there are several supercharged Solaras and a few turbo Solaras, but I'm not sure if anybody did transmission upgrades).

Best thing you can likely do at the moment is switch over to Amsoil ATF like many of the members in this forum have done successfully. I don't have that luxury where I live, because Amsoil doesn't exist here and importing is not just $$$ but red tape, so I change my ATF out 3 times over 3 weeks (drain and filll) every 6 months with Type-IV available at Toyota down here.

Also take a look what I did on page 4 of my car domain page below on removing the windshield wiper reservoir to let the transmission cooler get better flow.
Old 11-13-07, 09:18 PM
faylow
Driver School Candidate

Wow, that's a pretty neat setup for a turbo!.

I didn't even think about that possiblity since i never even heard of an aftermarket mod. Well it looks like it'd be all custom anyhow.

Wouldn't it be possible to do a sequential twin turbo setup like the old mistubishi 3000gt's? i thought they were...i could be wrong.
just talking out of my a** i guess.

Anyhow, when it goes out, i think i'll go with ipt too.
I'll need to start doing the changes myself and follow the write up in the forum. maybe i'll try and post a video of it so it'll be even more easier for anyone else to follow.

Where's the best place to get the Amsoil?

Another thought, wwest from the other forum said he was going to rebuild it himself whenever it goes out and If/once my transaxle fails, as seems to be pre-ordained,and "convert it to R/AWD, rear torque biasing, via removing the spider gears and front drive side gear from the center differential and then welding the rear side gear in place. Then the ONLY drive to the front driveline will be via the VC, Viscous coupling."

Do you think this is something that would help with your racing? Or is leaving it in the AWD setup better?

Thanks for responding!
-k

Last edited by faylow; 11-13-07 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 05:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Someone did a twin turbo on a 1MZFE engine with a Toyota Estima minivan in Japan (sorry only photo I have). However, that vehicle I remember used a 5 speed manual (it was an option, not something aftermarket) that can better take the whip of a turbocharger. I would prefer to have one single turbo do the work as I run 1/4 mile.

For Amsoil, http://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/

Well for me, I don't have much issue with the way the AWD works for me now, my beef is with the engine management. For all the strange situations and weather I encounter here, the AWD has been pretty good to me even on the track. If I found a reason to do something with it, I would, but there are other things I would want to do first, simply because it is a 1/4 mile truck so to speak and also takes a big brunt on the roads here (new shocks should be upcoming).

However, I do feel that compared to other AWD systems (Audi and Subaru are my favorites BTW), the RX feels like it is just dragging the back.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission upgrade...-twinturbo1mzfe.jpg  
Old 11-20-07, 02:56 PM
faylow
Driver School Candidate

I think i'll stick with the toyota type iv for now.
anyhow, what do you think about the twin turbos that are put on a supra? maybe they could be easily adapted to the 1mzfe?
Old 11-20-07, 03:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by faylow
I think i'll stick with the toyota type iv for now.
anyhow, what do you think about the twin turbos that are put on a supra? maybe they could be easily adapted to the 1mzfe?
I wish. But if you are going to do that, might as well buy the Supra. There is what I like to call a zone of comfort with the 1MZFE, maybe about 50 hp or so over norm, higher if you modify, and seriously modify like Tony.