RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

odd repetitive noise coming from rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 10:49 AM
Zoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd repetitive noise coming from rear wheels

Hello,
I just recently had my transmission and transfer case rebuilt. I week ago I began hearing an noise which is repetitive and metallic sounding coming from the rear end. I know that I have to get the tires balanced, but this noise is very apparent when I have my foot on the gas. Its hard to explain but it kind of sounds like a metallic grind once in every rotation of the wheels. I also noticed that oil is dripping from the rear differential case. I don't know what the mechanics had to do to fix my transmission but I think they broke something. What do you think is the problem.
I would appreciate it if you can help
thank you
Old 11-16-07, 11:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Fluid in the rear differential could be low (there is only about .9 L in there) and without enough fluid, clank.

Other thing is the rear differential could have a crack in it and makes the noise that you hear. The transfer case can also have this issue (would be interested to hear more on what occurred with your transfer case and tranny just as a point of interest for the forum). I have seen this mostly in the transfer case. In particular my friend Michael (who has the RX-7 you see listed on my car domain page) had a Murano that had pieces in the grooves broken off. My uncle got a replacement and fixed it for her.

I am not sure if they took the ENTIRE propeller shaft out when they did work on the transfer case, and if so it may not have been positioned right into the rear differential, but that is rare.

Easiest thing to do would be to drain the rear differential and see what comes out. I would do that alone since you have a leak.

Now there some other areas that you migh want to check, the struts can go bad in the rear and also the sound is noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails odd repetitive noise coming from rear wheels-img_0177.jpg  
Old 11-16-07, 11:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another thing to check are these bolts circled in blue. They are 17mm and when loose can also make a clank.

Rear differential is of course in the center of this picture
Attached Thumbnails odd repetitive noise coming from rear wheels-img_3175.jpg  
Old 11-16-07, 11:24 AM
Zoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for your knowledge

the vehicle was leased to someone before I bought it so I think the last owner abused the car thats why I had to get the tranny and transfer case and u-joint replaced soon after I bought it. My mistake to buy this particular rx 300 I wished I bought another rx from an old lady.
Any way I appreciate your advise and expertise. I will check the bolts and the struts and I will change the oil or have Mr. Lube do it since I am a very poor mechanic.
I just hope the rear differential doesnt seize
I will also reset the left rear wheel because I am convinced Mr. Transmission mechanics didnt put the wheel on straight.
I already spent over 8000 in repairs I hope I dont have to spend more soon.
anyway thanks and have a great weekend
Old 11-16-07, 11:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Sometimes they can overtighten the bolts on the wheel, common problem my uncle and I see on vehicles down here and many RX300 owners here have encountered.