RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lucas Transmission Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 06:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey LexMex,

Do you Really Race your rx?,And if so,what do you race against?
Old 11-21-07, 06:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Hey LexMex,

Do you Really Race your rx?,And if so,what do you race against?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215309/8
Old 11-21-07, 07:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Wow!!
All I can say is our tranny`s cant be that bad if they hold up to racing.You really didnt even do any mod`s to your trans either did you?Except remove the washer bottle.I think the guy who posted about using an atv fan has come up with the best idiea so far to keep the trans cool,by placing the fan rite on the tranny cooler.I may do that myself.Any way,those are some really good pics.
Old 11-21-07, 07:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Wow!!
All I can say is our tranny`s cant be that bad if they hold up to racing.You really didnt even do any mod`s to your trans either did you?Except remove the washer bottle.I think the guy who posted about using an atv fan has come up with the best idiea so far to keep the trans cool,by placing the fan rite on the tranny cooler.I may do that myself.Any way,those are some really good pics.
Well, I am more religious about my tranny fluid changes, about once every 6 months I drain and fill 3 times with Toyota Type IV. If Amsoil ATF were available down here (it is a nightmare getting the stuff shipped unless you are a diplomat), I would use it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-21-07, 07:44 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Lex,
I know amsoil is supposed to be good stuff, but our type iv fluid is synthetic also.So,at least it is a good oil.
Old 11-21-07, 07:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Lex,
I know amsoil is supposed to be good stuff, but our type iv fluid is synthetic also.So,at least it is a good oil.
I am not convinced the Type IV is the best quality ATF out there, the Amsoil definitely from the RX owners I have heard from is superior. Part of my reason for using the Lucas stuff is due to the lack of having something better available down here. The Type IV stuff is made by ExxonMobil and actually its own Mobil 1 ATF has better characteristics (and I have known someone with a Harrier who used it but didn't hear anything more from them), but I wouldn't touch it except as a PSF fluid.
Old 11-21-07, 08:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Well,that being said,I guese I`ll have to try the amsoil my next drain and fill.The thing is, the amsoil where I get it here,is $10.00 a quart.That`s why when I found out the type iv fluid is synthetic, I figured it must be okay fluid.And,mobile makes a good synthetic oil.
Old 11-21-07, 08:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The oil would be much more expensive down here or for that matter any additive.

When I went to AutoZone over in Toluca west of me (they just opened), WaterWetter was about $10 USD, quite fair, and the same price as each of these Lucas Transmission Fix bottles. I used to pay $30 USD a quart for German Castrol 0W30 and now it is $15 USD a quart at any BMW dealer. I was shocked at that price I paid for Type IV the other day as it used to be more expensive. However, down here if you want some specialty fluid not readily available (assuming it can be had) you have to buy a whole box/carton, which ticks off so many people at my track, a frequent complaint.

I'd take it for $10 USD a quart easily and junk the Type IV.

I was out in Jamaica in March and there were RX300s, RX330s, Harriers all side by side, and Amsoil sells big time there. I saw so much Amsoil ATF on the shelves and can't for the life of me wonder why they don't sell it here in Mexico.

Mobil I have my reservations about their oil primarily the 5W30 though some grades are better than others (I used to use it), but take a search on CL and also at another one of our favorite sites, www.bobistheoilguy.com. The German Castrol 0W30 is what I and a few others like here like to use. AutoZone is the place you usually find it in the U.S.
Old 11-21-07, 10:20 AM
edbro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,that being said,I guese I`ll have to try the amsoil my next drain and fill.
Can you mix the Amsoil with the TypeIV? That's what a drain & fill would do.
Old 11-21-07, 11:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by edbro
Can you mix the Amsoil with the TypeIV? That's what a drain & fill would do.
Yes, no problem.
Old 11-24-07, 06:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I drained and filled my tranny a few hours ago and added also .4 liters (out of .7 in the bottle) of the Lucas Transmission Fix. Keep in mind I already had put about .3 liters in the old fluid.

My observations after taking her out on the highway and in the neighborhood.

1. Shift from P to R is slightly smoother again over before
2. Shifts are EXTREMELY fluid. I heard it described somewhere that after using this stuff after a drain and fill and adding it again it feels like a sewing machine in the tranny, that it does, you cannot sense the shifts
3. Did not notice this before, but in P, R and D when stopped I notice some chattering noise on and off coming from the area where the torque converter is, but once in motion no issue and shifts are fine.

On item 3, not sure if something was cleaned out, but the tranny has been operating just fine. I also should mention I changed out my oil, this time to a Redline 10W40 (yeah $24 a liter, but worth the test). In addition, I changed my resonator out today for another one, but nothing is clanging.
Old 11-25-07, 05:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

An update this morning. No track last night (had some other things to do), but will go this afternoon. However, item 3 with regard to ticking, that has apparently ceased for the moment.
Old 11-27-07, 08:41 PM
tmuti13
Driver School Candidate

I've always been a fan of Lucas products and I've had my transmission fail at 105K. I was thinking about adding some of the Transmission Fix with this next drain and fill. Considering I've had one transmission fail already, I'd like to do everything I can to keep this one from failing. My only question is are there any risks to adding this additive to the Type IV? I would think that adding the Lucas would only help things, but I know that these transmissions are funny.
Old 11-28-07, 01:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

To be fair I am going to have to give tihs another shot. I got to use it for about a week when I added about .3 L to the fluid and did receive what I mentioned earlier. However, I added .4 L to new fluid on Saturday before having the accident with the undersize on Sunday I mentioned in another thread. I didn't feel anything negative from its use, but to verify, I will have to try it again once I get my vehicle up and running again.

Keep in mind, I read of some other modern Toyota vehicles using this stuff, but I would tell everyone to wait until I give it another go so I can see the long term effect.
Old 12-03-07, 03:44 PM
tmuti13
Driver School Candidate

Lex, I look forward to hearing your input. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Lucas Transmission Fix