RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lucas Transmission Fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 05:41 PM
edbro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a half bottle in mine this past weekend. So far the results have been almost the same as LexMex's. Noticeably smoother shifting.

The only difference is that it didn't cause the major transmission accident he had. Sorry Lex but it sound like too much of a coincidence; Lucas in the transmission one day - transmission dismantled in the garage the next!

Seriously though, it did cause smoother shifting and I can't see how this would do any harm. Again, I put in a half bottle and the instructions say to use the entire bottle. Also, mine didn't seem as thick as what LexMex described. Definitely thicker than TypeIV fluid, but I didn't need to heat it up to get it to flow.

$9.99 from Autozone.
Old 12-03-07, 06:06 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn i wanna use lucas transmission fix but i hear alot of good things and bad things...... i guess i have to sit on it for alil more longer ...
Old 12-03-07, 06:21 PM
edbro
Rookie

Originally Posted by sgv_bum
damn i wanna use lucas transmission fix but i hear alot of good things and bad things...... i guess i have to sit on it for alil more longer ...
What bad did you hear?
Old 12-03-07, 06:45 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edbro
What bad did you hear?
i was reading on some other forums couple of guys said there trans went out or start messing up on them and some said it works really good and haven't had a problem.. other people said use royal purple trans it stop there trans from slipping .. my buddy told me to use royal purple trans also he said it stop his trans from slipping... gonna do more research i guess. before using any of these products.
Old 12-04-07, 06:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I did read some things on Lucas and the tranny going out, but the way I read that was that the tranny was already on its way out. I think there is another one called Transfix or something. Either way, let me be the guinea pig on this. I have to keep in mind, too, that when I get my truck back and running that my tranny is going to shift better than before, so any use of Lucas again, may not be quite seen as well.
Old 03-08-08, 08:33 PM
edbro
Rookie

Lex,
What was your verdict on the Lucas? Did you use it in the new tranny?
Old 03-09-08, 12:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

No, we didn't use it. However, I can tell you that when I checked the fluid about a week after I got my RX back after we worked on the tranny, that I could feel the Lucas transmission fix in the fluid (probably the leftover still in there) that didn't come out with the fluid when we worked on it. All I can add is what was mentioned earlier, but should a need arise in the future I will try it again.
Old 03-09-08, 06:05 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooo, would you recommend it? No endorsement implied, just a question. I have used it and the engine stuff all my life in both my race cars and luxury rides. I've used it in my Jags, my Lincs, my Stangs, and my Lexus. I use the fuel, tranny and oil additives with great results.

I plan to do a sludge treatment on the RX just to be safe along with a tranny flush and then I'm going to start using Lucas all over it. The Lucas synthetic oil additive that is. I also add Purple Ice to my coolant from Royal Purple, it works.
Old 03-09-08, 07:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

What I would recommend is that if you sense a problem with the tranny to first do the transmission drain and fill as done by TunedRX300 in the sticky at the top of the forum and espcially report to us what you find on the drain plugs and in the bottom of the pan. I am more of a guinea pig myself in this forum, but sometimes we just have to know.

If still, after 3 drain and fills nothing improved, I would try this stuff, as I haven't seen much of anything else on the market, but I wouldn't try a huge gob of the stuff. I would put in half the amount that I put in first to see if there is any noticable difference and only after agitating it well with some ATF.

Purple Ice is quite good as my cousin has been using it in his Golf VR6. I plan to use this next time in place of Redline WaterWetter.
Old 03-09-08, 07:37 AM
stevesxm
Rookie

traditionally all these types of additives fall into one of two catagories:

solvents... these will soften up old dried out seals and swell them a bit and stop internal leakages and pressure losses... so the trans feels like it shifts cleaner...

viscosity enhancers... these are your maple syrup ones that thinken up the fluid and make the pump and all the valving work a little better because of the now increased internal pressures due to the thicker fluids.

for me, i have never seen any of it SOLVE anything. it doesn't grow new metal or seals. it might get you an extra month or two or let you get the car to auction under its own power . nothing i have ever seen has show any repeatable indications that using this ( or similar) additives increases the life of anything at all.

you will get far better results and success doing routine fluid servicing with good high quality synthetic lubes.
Old 03-09-08, 09:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have used this product with great results,and still works fine.I only added a little bit though. 1/4 of a bottle.
Old 03-09-08, 02:13 PM
edbro
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I could feel the Lucas transmission fix in the fluid (probably the leftover still in there) that didn't come out with the fluid when we worked on it.
Is that good or bad?
Old 03-10-08, 04:35 AM
boxbrownie
Rookie

Been following this with interest and even considered maybe some preventative measures for my transmission, although with only 48,000miles its still relatively untouched......I am here in the UK so checked out the availability of the Lucas Trans_Fix fluid......can get it no problem at the equivelent of $47 a US pint here ok then forget that, maybe I will just change the trans fliud... checked that out too.....Toyota ATF IV....what a bargain only $114 a US gallon here........aw forget it.....don't you ever maon about prices over that side of the pond again...OK?

Best regards David
Old 03-10-08, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

WOW!! That is some seriously inflated pricing. Is yours FWD or AWD?

Last edited by lexus114; 03-10-08 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added
Old 03-10-08, 08:22 AM
boxbrownie
Rookie

AWD.......yep prices this on this muddy bank are ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Lucas Transmission Fix