RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

darn!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 04:12 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default darn!

darn it! i bought a secret weapon weapon-r cold air intake for my 99 rx300 awd about 4 months ago (because of recommendations by CL members). however, because of school, i haven't had the time to do anything with it. i told my dad i wanted to get it installed this weekend (he didn't even know i had it). he didn't know i had it (that's not the prob) and he didn't know what it is. i explained it, and he said i couldn't get it installed! he's worried it'll make my car too loud. he asked me if it will and i said i didn't know. he said i could get it installed but if it was loud then he would have it uninstalled and not let me get do anything else to my car again. so i decided to tell him to give me a bit to find out. so here's the question: i understand it will make my car sound different, but will it be loud? noticeable louder than w/o it? mostly he's concerned about it being too loud inside the car, but also doesn't want it to be loud outside the car. i dont know anyone with one, so i can't listen to theirs. he wants me to keep my car quiet like it was kind of meant to be, but said he doesn't mind if i want to change the sound a bit and add some power.

so...will it be loud or not too bad?
Old 11-23-07, 04:37 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jg 368 48
darn it! i bought a secret weapon weapon-r cold air intake for my 99 rx300 awd about 4 months ago (because of recommendations by CL members). however, because of school, i haven't had the time to do anything with it. i told my dad i wanted to get it installed this weekend (he didn't even know i had it). he didn't know i had it (that's not the prob) and he didn't know what it is. i explained it, and he said i couldn't get it installed! he's worried it'll make my car too loud. he asked me if it will and i said i didn't know. he said i could get it installed but if it was loud then he would have it uninstalled and not let me get do anything else to my car again. so i decided to tell him to give me a bit to find out. so here's the question: i understand it will make my car sound different, but will it be loud? noticeable louder than w/o it? mostly he's concerned about it being too loud inside the car, but also doesn't want it to be loud outside the car. i dont know anyone with one, so i can't listen to theirs. he wants me to keep my car quiet like it was kind of meant to be, but said he doesn't mind if i want to change the sound a bit and add some power.

so...will it be loud or not too bad?
Well, I had one on my car a year or so ago and it was a little loud for my tastes, but relatively quiet compared to most tuned/modified cars such as Integras and whatnot. It's about the same as stock until about near 3K RPM to redline where it is just an aggressive roar, sounds really nice but it is loud.

Keep in mind if your exhaust system is modified it will be louder than if you're just adding it on to a stock system.
Old 11-23-07, 06:07 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

oh really? ouch that might not be good. i guess the best way to ask the question is is it noticeable to others? if im driving down the street will the average person be like "omg that car's so loud" or rather think twice about the way it sounds. or is it a sound that the driver will notice but others really wouldn't? im trying to explain this but im doing awful!

lemme try again maybe
if my dad is outside on friday and im driving down the street and he's outside and i don't have the intake, will he hear a difference if the same thing happens on saturday but i do have the intake in. will he notice a difference?

--thanks!
Old 11-23-07, 07:19 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

It will only be noticeable if you NAIL it. Otherwise, you will be ok. Normal driving it will be the same.
Old 11-23-07, 07:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

3k rpm and it will roar. Same thing happened with the Dragon Intake.
Old 11-23-07, 11:25 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you should just tell your dad it helps increase the mpg. that worked on my parents when they use to care about me changing stuff on my car.
Old 11-24-07, 12:25 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I doubt the average person walking down the street will be affected by the sound; it actually sounds very good, so if anything they'd be pleased by the pleasant growl rather than a noisy rasp. I doubt your dad would even know if you installed it without telling him until he popped the hood, that is if you're not gunning it in and out of the driveway and revving it to wake the neighbors, oh wait that's me....

It's loud when you want it to be loud basically.
Old 11-24-07, 08:46 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i was afraid my exhaust would be too loud, but I actually just had a greddy muffler welded on haha. uh yea, ill probably take it off because it's too annoying in an automatic car...and then ill prob buy an intake to get a nice roar with my other muffler haha
Old 11-24-07, 06:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I made a change to my resonator today, will post pictures tomorrow.