RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Newbie Questions, Outside Temp Gauge, AC Filter, Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 10:32 AM
lopatag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions, Outside Temp Gauge, AC Filter, Rear Differential

Hello everyone,

I am a newly-registered member of this forum, but have been reading your posts for the past four weeks (ever since I purchased my used 2001 RX300 from a used car superstore). I'm intrigued and excited about the wealth of knowledge from the forum's users, and look forward to being part of the community!

I am very satisfied with the vehicle so far, which had about 61K on the odometer at the time of purchase. When I bought it, the only issues were a bad battery, a bad rear hatch light assembly, and a bad rear wiper washer assembly - all replaced under the superstore's 30-day warranty.

Several of my initial questions were able to be answered by searching the forum's posts; however, I have a few for which I wasn't able to find resolution. I'm hoping that you guys could provide me with some advice or answers.

1. My outside temperature gauge is skipping over certain temperatures. As an example, when it nears the 40-degree area (Fahrenheit), it will skip over the even-numbered temperatures and not register 38, 40, 42, or 44 degrees. When it gets down around the 30-degree range, it will skip over the odd-numbered temperatures (29, 31, and 33). If it wants to display, say, a 33-degree temperature, it will bounce between the 32 and 34 intermittently, alternating about every 2 seconds. It seems like the thermometer sensor is not as sensitive as it should be. Is there a setting that can be adjusted to increase the sensitivity of the thermometer sensor? If not, do you think that replacing the sensor would fix the problem? Does anyone know the correct part number? I've tried searching for the part on Carson-Lex's OEM parts site but I can't find it. It may seem like a trivial issue, but this is rather important to me to know the actual outside temperature.

2. The owner's manual shows how to replace the in-cabin HVAC filter in the glove box, but the illustrations are only for a vehicle without the CD changer (as mine has). How can I access the filter for inspection/replacement in my vehicle? Am I simply not looking hard enough for access screws?

3. I read that Lexus offered an optional limited-slip rear differential. Is this true? If so, how can I tell if my vehicle has it (I know I have the 4WD model)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I look forward to sharing thoughts and experiences with my RX300 for years to come.
Old 12-17-07, 11:44 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

For the air filter it requires no screws. In the glove box look above the glove box tray to the right of the CD changer. There should be a little plastic retangular panel, lift up and out on it and you will see the filter behind it. As for the temp sensor, maybe it is not secured properly to the front bumper area. Maybe it has some corrosion on its mount.
Old 12-17-07, 12:02 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

To clarify on the cabin air filter access:

The CD changer is not in the way at all. The first panel to be removed is what I would call the back panel of the glove box. Next, behind this, there is another panel that pulls straight out. You can either pull it by hand or use pliers to help. The filter is what pulls out next. It is much easier than it sounds.
Old 12-17-07, 12:10 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Five minute job.
http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/~r...air_filter.htm

I never need the pliers, it just pops out.
Old 12-17-07, 12:16 PM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by lopatag
3. I read that Lexus offered an optional limited-slip rear differential. Is this true?
I have an 2002 FWD RX300 and in 2002 there was no option of that nature, so I assume the answer is no for the 2001 model year.

There is, however, a standard equipment electronic traction control (at least on the FWD models). The TRAC OFF button (e.g., for use in snow situations) is located in front of the gear shifter, to the left of the cigarette lighter outlet. There are sensors on the wheels that detect slipping and take action accordingly.
Old 12-17-07, 12:25 PM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by lopatag
1. My outside temperature gauge is skipping over certain temperatures.
Let me take a wild guess on this one and say that it may be normal. If so, it's because the car is native to a celsius world and is trying its best to adapt to our English deg-F system. [There are 2 deg F to approx. 1 deg C].
Old 12-17-07, 12:32 PM
salimshah

Received 1,059 Likes on 955 Posts

We have had a few threads on temperature display. Although the moto of Lexus is .. in pursuit of perfection .., the temperature display is never meant to accurately show the outside temperature. There are no known means of adjustment. I have even observed a non linearity in displayed temperature ... so with a known reference, you can not add/subtract at all ranges.

Just use the number as a ball park number +/-5 degrees ... which generally gets more accurate reading once you start driving.

Once you allow that much leeway it does not matter if the display is even numbers or odd numbers.

Salim

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-07, 12:32 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I think by 2001 they dropped the limited-slip differential. They just use the VSC/traction control to control wheel spin with the brakes. Seems to work pretty well to me.

If you jack up the rear end and spin one tire by hand if the other one goes in the opposite direction it is an open rear end, same direction = Limited Slip.
Old 12-17-07, 06:02 PM
lopatag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info, guys. This is great information.

I was able to inspect the AC filter based on your instructions (it was fine).

Can anyone actually confirm that their outside temperature gauge has registered a 38, 40, 42 or 44? Surely someone has noticed.