RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changing tires...I guess everyone would recommend the Michelin Cross Terrains?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 11:25 PM
FCobra94
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing tires...I guess everyone would recommend the Michelin Cross Terrains?

Looked through the old posts and this is pretty much what I gathered. Dad said we have to change the tires already on our 00 RX and it barely has 16K on it It looks like the tires are wearing uneven. Should I just get the thing aligned, even before I get the new tires or just swap the stock one's out? Would it even be worth it to balance and roatate the stockers? Well, if I do need new ones, what size should I get for stock wheels? Also, if anyone could recommend something better for the money, I'm open to suggestions Also, what have you guys paid for the tires and where'd you get them from? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-26-02, 03:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

FCobra, I'd get the RX realigned before (or at the same time as) installing new tires. The Goodyears (or Bridgestones) have not had tire life issues, for all their other weaknesses. No sense in rebalancing the Goodyears if you're just going to take them off.

I have read posts from one individual who was so unhappy with the ride and noise of the CrossTerrains that he removed them within days of installing them, but literally every other poster (me included) has found the ride to be no stiffer and the tire noise level to be (as near as I can tell) unchanged. This vehicle is my wife's driver, and she's not had any complaints either.

I ordered mine through TireRack, $124 each for the replacement size. It is possible to go to 235 (from 225) on the stock rims, but anything wider will require a wider rim and in turn will require a spacer for strut tower clearance. The cleareance problem is only an issue in the rear, but IF you're going to use spacers, do so on all four wheels. Also, be sure and replace the tire on the spare, too. I know it doesn't have any wear and seems like a waste, but the spare tire needs to have the same handling characteristics of the tires already on the car. The Goodyears are SO different that this is absolutely necessary, and a safety issue.

As far as a better tire for the money, I think the CrossTerrain is the newest tire currently available that is (supposedly) specifically designed for car based SUVs. Not saying there aren't possibly better tires, but they are also likely to be more expensive.
Old 01-26-02, 07:33 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

A slightly less expensive route would be the Bridgestone Duelers. I've heard people were satisfied with their performance. At least the are more aggressive than the Goodyears. I'd also check out the Michelin LTX/MS. I've had these tires before, not on my RX (I have, however seen them on RX's before), and they were great all-around performers.

Also, when you change tires, you may want to consider going to 235/70R16 instead of the 225's. A 235 should fit.

-Nick
Old 01-26-02, 08:00 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, they do sound pretty good from what I have heard so we'll probably give them a shot when the time comes. Any downside/upside when going with the 235/70/16's? Thanks again for the help
Old 01-26-02, 04:27 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

FC, can't speak personally but those who have upsized have not posted any complaints that I have seen. Odo/speedo will be very slightly off (less than 2% by a hair) on the plus side (50 mph indicated will be 51 mph actual).

Looks better, tho.
Old 01-27-02, 02:46 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the spare still fit under the floor with the 235 width??? That could make or break it for me.
Old 01-27-02, 05:12 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by RX300TC
Will the spare still fit under the floor with the 235 width??? That could make or break it for me.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

-Nick
Old 01-27-02, 08:03 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Clearance OK

My CT 235/70R16 spare fit under the floor with no problem. The carcass of the tire is not much wider than my old 225/70R16 GYs - only the tread is wider due to the square shoulder. The CT fits easily in the well, and the cover has plenty of clearance. The only tight fit you will encounter is between the rear tire and the strut - about 3/8", again due to the more square shoulder on the CT, vs the rounded shoulder on the Integrity.
Old 01-27-02, 09:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: Clearance OK

Originally posted by Lil4X
My CT 235/70R16 spare fit under the floor with no problem. The carcass of the tire is not much wider than my old 225/70R16 GYs - only the tread is wider due to the square shoulder. The CT fits easily in the well, and the cover has plenty of clearance. The only tight fit you will encounter is between the rear tire and the strut - about 3/8", again due to the more square shoulder on the CT, vs the rounded shoulder on the Integrity.
That's good news, thanks for letting ys know Lil4x. I'll bet the Michelin in a 235 width will add a little weight in the rear as a spare.

-Nick
Old 01-28-02, 04:09 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Very little additional weight. The tire carcass is only a few pounds heavier than the Goodyear.
Old 01-28-02, 08:26 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Default Re: Clearance OK

Originally posted by Lil4X
First, thanks for the valuable feedback!

With the extremely small clearance on the rear struts, have you at any time heard or experienced any rubbing or bumping? Theoretically, it shouldn't happen since the bottom of the strut assembly moves in conjunction with the wheel. But you never know, there could be some kind of flexing that happens under extreme conditions, like heavy road bumps at high speed.
Old 01-28-02, 10:28 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face Slipping the surly bonds of earth...

You're right TC, the tires moving with the strut do not make contact. I received empirical proof of this running at moderate speed late at night last fall on an unfamiliar private dirt road. With about 300 lbs. of equipment in the back, an associate and I unexpectedly discovered an old railroad grade crossing.

Upon landing after a brief but exciting full-suspension-droop flight, we heard no untoward noises – other than those produced by ourselves – and a load of camera gear repositioning itself after a brief zero-G experience. When we reached a safe turnout, I inspected tires, struts, etc. for signs of damage. No indication that the rear strut had contacted the CT – the coating of dust on the strut was intact. My nerves, less so.

Proving that there is no statute of limitations on stupidity, I had performed nearly the same stunt in a new full-boat LeSabre (company car) a number of years earlier. Broke a rear shock mount and blew both front shocks that time. While the RX is not my vehicle of choice for the Baja, at least it’s one up on the Buick!
Old 01-28-02, 10:36 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Very cool, thanks again for the feedback. Well, as sson as I can afford the extra $675 for a set of 5, looks like a set of 235/70-16 CTs are in the cards for me.
Old 01-29-02, 05:52 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Default Price alert!!!

I was just checking TireRack.com site and noticed the following:

Mich CTs 225/70SR16 are the usual $124 each
BUT.... the 235/70SR16 are on special for $94!!!!

The only downside seems to be that the 225s are treadwear rated at 520 and the 235s are rated at 420.

Hope this helps someone who is ready to buy!
Old 01-29-02, 09:30 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: Price alert!!!

Originally posted by RX300TC
I was just checking TireRack.com site and noticed the following:

Mich CTs 225/70SR16 are the usual $124 each
BUT.... the 235/70SR16 are on special for $94!!!!

The only downside seems to be that the 225s are treadwear rated at 520 and the 235s are rated at 420.

Hope this helps someone who is ready to buy!
That sure makes me want to buy them even thought I don't need new tires yet. That'll save you $150 if you buy five. Hmmm...I hope this same deal is around somewhere when I need tires.

-Nick

Quick Reply: Changing tires...I guess everyone would recommend the Michelin Cross Terrains?