RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

new member, looking to buy used

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 02:38 PM
stackz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am probably going to continue looking seriously into getting one of these for my fiance as, after a nice long talk at dinner last night, she said that if I got her one I could finally have my ford lightning truck woot!

that way I can relegate towing to the lightning and leave this as our little get around and family trip vehicle. I'm only going to look at awd models and probably 01-02 year range.

I've looked up the transmission interchange on mitchel and it goes from 99-03 so thats a nice year range to pick from and I can get a tranny used with a 50k warranty for $1400 which isnt really that bad considering...

I'll just install it myself if it goes bad since I have a fully operational shop with lift, etc and I've done work on lexus vehicles in the past. Hell, if I have to drop the whole front k-member to do it, saving $2.5k will be worth it....that and I get my lightning mmmmm.

oh yeah, I take it with salimshah's list that lexus is still having LCD display fade out problems?? is there anyone that redoes the displays on ebay like they do for the older LS400's??

as far as engine sludge, I know the problem is related to small oil drainback passages, we have always just flushed the engines every 15k with a quart of transmission fluid in the oil as it is a detergent and will break up all the sludge and collect it in the oil filter...
Old 01-05-08, 03:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

RX has the drive light bulb under "D" blown problem. There is a DIY and takes 15 min to do.

A few folks live with the blown bulb.

Salim
Old 01-05-08, 04:24 PM
stackz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
RX has the drive light bulb under "D" blown problem. There is a DIY and takes 15 min to do.

A few folks live with the blown bulb.

Salim
no, I already read about that. I was refering to your comment on the temp display...
Old 01-05-08, 05:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

The temp display issue is it seems to be off by few degrees.

I have not seen any complaint about the led display.

Salim
Old 01-07-08, 05:34 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stackz
...that way I can relegate towing to the lightning......
Good idea to look elsewhere besides a used RX as a tow vehicle.

At first glance a pickup with a big V8 would be end of towing issues but, choose your used Lightning wisely. Every Lightning left the factory with a towing package however, in stock form their towing capacity was only 5,000 lb. Many have been modified and performance tunes, modified suspensions, tires, etc... may greatly reduce this number.
Old 01-07-08, 05:50 AM
stackz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raoul
Good idea to look elsewhere besides a used RX as a tow vehicle.

At first glance a pickup with a big V8 would be end of towing issues but, choose your used Lightning wisely. Every Lightning left the factory with a towing package however, in stock form their towing capacity was only 5,000 lb. Many have been modified and performance tunes, modified suspensions, tires, etc... may greatly reduce this number.
oh I know, I also know that even though the lightning came from the factory with a blower and 385hp that the rotating assembly isnt forged and if you raise the boost much they tend to spit out the bottom ends unlike the terminator engine in the 03-04 cobras. ford guy at heart but I do know what I want. I'm probably going to look for an 03-04 lightning anyway to keep the miles down low and hopefully raise the ability to get a stock one. My dad has a friend who owns a large car dealership who said he would find me whatever I'm looking for in the price ranges I'm wanting to work with so I'm pretty good there.

now, I just need to do a little more research into other little nuances of the rx series and then actually go test drive a few to make sure it's what we want for her.

if anyone can think of ANY other issues with these as they get higher up in mileage please let me know.

oh yeah, how does the a/c system and the power steering system hold up in these in the long term?? my mom's a/c system ate like 4 compressors, even though that was spread out over 380k miles, it was still like $800 per compressor and drier to replace...
Old 01-07-08, 06:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

The Lightning is a friggin beast, one blew me away by 2 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-07-08, 07:50 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The Lightning is a friggin beast, one blew me away by 2 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

I checked out your homepage, 17.9 in the 1/4?
That 7,000 ft elevation must be killing your time.
If a Lightning beat you by 2 seconds I hope that driver had a bag over his head.

The only 15 sec Lightning I've seen ran with the parking brake on.
Old 01-07-08, 08:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Raoul

I checked out your homepage, 17.9 in the 1/4?
That 7,000 ft elevation must be killing your time.
If a Lightning beat you by 2 seconds I hope that driver had a bag over his head.

The only 15 sec Lightning I've seen ran with the parking brake on.
Elevation (and add bad gas and bad air) and you get a recipe for 1/4 mile sadness.

Some vehicles just seem to run much better up here like the 4 Runner can usually hit low 17s without trying.

The Lightning driver went at it a few times even doing torque braking and still couldn't bring it under 15.5 but it had the most beautiful sound with that compressor and exhaust.

I hope to rip that 17.9 to shreads in a few weeks but I am hoping we get some cooler air down here as it has been a mild winter.

Right now I am running a Redline Fuel System Cleaner and hope to change out this coming weekend the fuel filter.
Old 01-07-08, 09:50 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

"hope to change out this coming weekend the fuel filter"

Pics please.
Old 01-07-08, 10:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carguy07
"hope to change out this coming weekend the fuel filter"

Pics please.
If we survive the ordeal.

I remember reading on a Russian Lexus forum (using an English translator) about someone getting sprayed in the eyes with gasoline.
Old 01-07-08, 11:14 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like someone forgot to relieve the fuel pressure before opening it up.

I'm sure you figured that one out.
Old 01-07-08, 11:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carguy07
Sounds like someone forgot to relieve the fuel pressure before opening it up.

I'm sure you figured that one out.
The directions for this are a bit complex that is why we are taking a careful look to follow each step.
Old 01-08-08, 05:45 AM
stackz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The directions for this are a bit complex that is why we are taking a careful look to follow each step.

why not just crank the car up and pull the fuel pump relay and let it simply run out of fuel??
Old 01-08-08, 06:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

You can blow out your fuel pump doing it, I have seen that happen once at the track.

There are some other dangers in doing that.

Quick Reply: new member, looking to buy used