RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Shocks/Struts for 1999 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 06:19 AM
JBDUFFY1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shocks/Struts for 1999 RX300

I am reading more and more about RX300 nose diving and being a tad top heavy with mushy cornering. But I also hear that this is normal for this SUV and that 80K for milage is not alot to ask for this type vehical. Does anyone have a mileage estimate where they feel the front struts should be replaced? I want a stiffer front end and more stable feel around corners. But the RX300 is going to college with my daughter and I don't want to spend alot of $$ on struts if they are not needed....If the struts are required what else do I have to buy to do the job? I don't want it taken apart and then find I have to order more stuff.
RX300 is pulling to the right...could this be strut? Is it just an alignment issue? Does Lexus RX300 need alignment?

HELP!!!
Old 01-14-08, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Tokico, if they made ones for the RX300, would fit the bill, but they don't.

The only two companies I know readily available in the U.S. (and please somebody correct me if I am wrong here) are KYB and Monroe. You might have seen one of my recent threads on my KYB GR-2s I just installed, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=327873

There are some MORE expensive options out of Japan, but really not necessary for normal use.

With the KYB GR-2s although they have more stability than the stock shocks around the corners, they feel like they ride a bit higher and they are definitely not stiff-stiff, but definitely a slight improvement over the OEM shocks.

On installation, unless you have the experience and the tools I showed off in the thread above, not a DIY by any means.

Pulling to the right could be any number of things. Even a loose steering rack or a missing bolt (ask me about the latter, it drove me nuts for months). A bad shock like I recently had on the right side also caused it to track right.

The RX300 does not need alighnment, rather I should say needs a complete alignment and that does not mean the front wheels, but also the rear ones. There is a machine from a company called Hunter that does such an alignment (I plan to do it sometime this week) and it does not only the front wheels, but also has a separate unit for measuring the rear alignment (I will try to take pictures when I stop by) and this is vitally important.
Old 01-14-08, 07:19 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Milage to shock replacement have no corelation. It all depends upon the shock use, which is based on type of surface you drive on.

What you mention about roll and softness, is a design point of RX based on weight, springs and comfort. So if you want to alter it, there is the spring you can tweak, if you have limited options with the shock. [You may be faced with limited option on springs as well].

The way you tell, you need a new shock is to look for evidence of leaks and or do bounce test. For bounce test you push down each end at a time and let go. The vehicle is supposed to rise up and come down a bit and stop. If it does more or less than 1.5 motion then the shocks need replacement. The only problem is that the four corners are mechanically coupled, so at times you can be mislead in identifying which is the bad shock. On the other other hand, it is better to replace the shocks in pairs to keep the dynamics symmetrical.

Let us know what you end up doing and specially the results you achieved.

Salim