RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

No oil in oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 05:29 PM
louiee_g
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil in oil filter

I've got a 2000 RX300, and i do my own oil changes. For the last oil change at 180k miles, I noticed something odd. there didn't seem to be any oil in the oil filter. Usually i get a puddle of oil once i remove the filter, but this time there was nothing. There also seemed to be no oil inside the filter. Either that or my eyes were bad that day.

Is this an indication that there is something wrong with the car? A bad oil pump? What's the risk with driving around with this issue? I intend to get it fixed, but i'm not sure how long it's been. Maybe 5k miles since i found the problem.
Old 01-17-08, 06:27 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

How did the oil in the pan look? I cant imagine no oil unless sludge completely blocked that passage which is generally near the oil pump. I wouldnt drive it unless i verified there is oil going to the filter.
Old 01-17-08, 06:31 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No oil came out at all, even after you removed the filter and flipped the filter over? I've never ever NOT had oil come out, even if the vehicle was sitting around for a week. There will always be oil in the filter, just on how the filter is positioned almost horizontal with ground. Like thomas1 said, I wouldn't drive it until confirming the status of the oil flow. I'd presume your oil change was completed and everything is back on and oil level filled. Run the engine until operating temp. then remove the filter (after it cools down a little). If no oil comes out and filter is "dry" then definitely an issue with either pump or a clog.
Old 01-17-08, 06:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Forget about it. I have done the oil change back in December (going from Castrol to Redline for a test) and just a few drops came out of the oil filter when I did it. That oil just sits down in its sump most of the time
Old 01-17-08, 06:54 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

If you had a problem with the pump that is the last place you would see it. After 5k miles you would have spun a bearing by now. The idiot light would warn you if you had super low oil pressure. I would not give it another thought.
Old 01-17-08, 07:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The oil flow has to go through there.

What likely happened here is that filter itself was full of gunk after 5k miles and changing it out would be the best course of action.

As carguy07 mentions there is an oil pressure light that will go on. I have had this light go on a few times when I had some consumption issues when I used to use Mobil 1 5W30 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails No oil in oil filter-img_3617.jpg  
Old 01-17-08, 10:26 PM
louiee_g
Driver School Candidate

To answer a couple of questions:

1. The oil in the pan looked dirty like a normal oil change.

2. There was a small amount of oil around the lip of the filter. But the inside looked clean. I held the filter upside down and no oil came out.

3. No check engine light so far. I will change the oil in about another 1 thousand miles and let you guys know if i still have the same problem.
Old 01-18-08, 06:32 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

what kind of filter? OEM or aftermarket?
Old 01-18-08, 06:48 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

How long did your car sit for before you did the oil change?

If you got was sitting for a few hours and then you started your oil change then its normal.
Old 01-18-08, 07:24 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil filter does not hold oil. Whether there is oil or no oil in the filter does not indicate any problems with the engine. The anti-drain-back valve is not supposed to hold oil in the filter. Most likely it filtered out through the filter media and seeped back into the pan. Its normal. I usually let the car sit for several hours before changing the oil and the most I get is a drop or two on the drop cloth. If the oil pump was messed up, you'll most likely have other problems first.
Old 01-18-08, 08:00 AM
louiee_g
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
what kind of filter? OEM or aftermarket?
This is the interesting thing...i had been using OEM filters for the past 2 years. And the last oil change (the one with no oil in the filter) was with an aftermarket bosch oil filter (mix up with online order). anybody using bosch filters have a comment? do different filters behave differently?
Old 01-18-08, 08:02 AM
louiee_g
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
How long did your car sit for before you did the oil change?

If you got was sitting for a few hours and then you started your oil change then its normal.
The car sat overnight before the oil change. This has been the case for my previous oil changes, but there's always been oil in the filter. I mentioned the different oil filter above, and so far that's the only variable that has changed.
Old 01-18-08, 08:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I haven't had experience with a Bosch on my RX300, not sure about anyone else here. I know TunedRX300 was using an oversized Fram oil filter (despite what one might think about Fram, that oversized filter has been pretty good for him).

I was using a K&N HP-1002 OEM sized oil filter for many years and like it better than the OEM filter, but recently switched off to a larger HP-2009 filter and am now back on an HP-1002 for a comparison. The reason I switched to the larger one is to improve oil flow.

Some members also seem to like the Mobil 1 oil filter or the one from Amsoil.
Old 01-18-08, 08:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

What kind of oil have you been using?
Old 01-18-08, 08:19 AM
louiee_g
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
What kind of oil have you been using?
Valvoline regular (non-synthetic).