RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

pads and rotor, I've tried to read as much as I can. pls help ^^

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 07:58 AM
stevesxm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, it would seem that in 06 they had a bad year. and like all manufacturers that have a bad patch, they do what they can to fix it and move on. and it would seem evident that, based on the sales and satisfaction numbers, that the reputation they counted on was well deserved. having dealt with their hardware, factory reps and engineers for the better part of 30 years, i certainly think it is well deserved.

and i have driven my friends 00 rx 300 very aggressively... and in box stock form it stops brilliantly... with fluid thats now 7 years old... so i figure what they put in there stock couldn't have been that bad...

not to mention that a quick look around this forum finds only a few complaints of fade or brake issues of any kind ...none of which seem abnormal in any respect...

so... smaller rotors ? maybe... heavier ... maybe again...
anything to suggest that those are in some way hindering or suggesting that the system, as designed, is lacking ?

nope. seems like they got it just right.

as for the degradation of the fluid ( bp) over time... thats good and real data , i believe. but lets see where that data takes us...

after three years the BP is significantly lower... but not so low as ( proven by REAL WORLD data,) to cause any quantifiable problem as witnessed by the complete lack of observed or reported problems here.

but assuming it really IS a hidden issue, what is the suggested remedy ?

after two years, drain out the factory fluid and replace it with hi buck magic fluid that won't boil on the surface of the sun. ok... thats done... now... two years later THAT fluid is full of water at the same rate the first fluid was... BUT because the BP is so hi you can ignore it and collect water in it for ANOTHER two years again ... so now you have you magic bean fluid with TWICE the water in it that the factory fluid did... hmmmm maybe that fluid is SO good we can go ANOTHER two years...

gee. that sounds like a great idea. rather than do the simple and cheap routine brake bleeding as reccomended by the manufacturer, lets put some magic product in that will allow us to completely ignore the system for 6 or 8 years.

you can't have it both ways. if you believe the brake fluid degrades by virtue of moisture every two years as to warrent it being changed... then thats what you do...
and barring some pre existing issue that says the fluid wasn't up to snuff to begin with, thats what you put back in. otherwise you are throwing your magic bean juice away every two years as well.

if you believe you want to leave it in longer and that moisture ISN'T an issue, then, again barring a pre existing issue, just leave it alone and replensih at normal routine intervals as reccomended w/ stock stuff.

in the GTP cars at daytona, we had to run ap 600. on the
small cars at other tracks you could run LMA just fine. all you did was put temp paint or stickers on the calipurs and actually READ what the temps are... and used the appropriate product.

same here.

expensive magic beans because they are whizzy.... or simple box stock stuff that worked fine before and will continue to do so. not a difficult decision

re inventing the wheel is exactly what those merchants want you to do.
Old 01-22-08, 05:27 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad batch in 2006? did you even check what is the number of recalls in 2007?
555K Thundra recalled
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=326123
215K Lexus GS/IS Mark x recalled in Japan
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=320857

I will let you research on Camry and Solara recalled in 2007.

LS400 heavier (1764kg or 3889lbs) than a RX300 AWD (3900lbs)? Did you even research?
http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2000/2000RXspecs.pdf
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2000...fications.html

7 years of unchanged brake fluids from a very aggressive driver! Now that just tops it, wish to take a poll how many of RX300 members here want to be in front of you at a red light?

Last edited by Lexmex; 01-22-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 05:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am going to close this, the opinions have been reached as far as they can go.