RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Just Purchased 02 RX300 - Buy the Extend Warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 03:28 PM
Tahmeroo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Purchased 02 RX300 - Buy the Extend Warranty??

New here and a new Lexus owner. Bought from dealer an 02 RX300. GREAT shape, 73K, all major services stamped in the original owners book. Got all original keys (including valet) which sales guy said was rare...all these things combined seem as if it was taken care of v. well. I've read lots about tranny issues...does this hold true for 2002 FWD models (I've read some issues resolved by 2002 and AWD is worse). Should we consider the $1700 "extended 3rd party warranty"? We have 30 days from date of purchase to decide and its almost up.

Any advice is great appreciated!
Old 01-21-08, 03:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Tell me about the specifics of this warranty.

As far as the transmission, we get more early models, usually AWD, on this forum with reports of tranny failure in terms of the overall percentage.
Old 01-21-08, 04:04 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Tell me about the specifics of this warranty.
Particularly the duration of coverage (e.g., two years) and any deductible amount per event. Another thing to check would be whether or not the transmission was drained and refilled. This was not called out by Lexus in the recommended maintenance (ever!, unless the fluid turned dark). The dealer should be able to pull this out of their computer records. Finally, you have to consider that insurance companies plan to make a profit and you need to consider your willingness to self-insure.
Old 01-21-08, 04:16 PM
Tahmeroo
Driver School Candidate

I just went to pull the warranty options and can't find the flyer they gave me in finance - but if i remember correctly, it was up to 110K or 3 years, whichever came first, and I'm a stay at home mom who does not commute or drive far. I need to call and have them fax me the form again and I can post details. I had one trusted mechanic tell me that in his experience, the warranties rarely cover the things that break, and if they do, not 100%. I pulled the CarFax Report and it was clean, no issues. My gut says this is a good car and my feeling on extended warranties is usually never to buy, but reading all the tranny issue posts got me rethinking....
Old 01-21-08, 04:29 PM
drhardee
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a 2002 FWD RX300 in 2005 with a 4 year, no mileage limit "Platinum" powertrain and electrical warranty from Great Lakes Warranty Corp.. I paid $2,000.00 for the thing. I now have 68K on the odometer, and I've used it once...for a $175.00 air/fuel mixture sensor. My navigation system has gone bad on me, and of course, that's not covered! So, $950.00 out-of-pocket for that (pre-owned) little replacement item. If your car has been well maintained, they're pretty much bulletproof. Now, YOUR mileage may vary, etc., etc. I think I'd keep/bank the money, and put the $1,700.00 towards a repair if/when it's needed in the future. These cars are expensive to work on.
Old 01-21-08, 05:07 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

you need to look at the credentials of the insurance company.

Engine is covered by Lexus (gel issue)
Ac repair will run you say 2000.
Power train if failed will be about 4k.

I would take the risk.

Salim
Old 01-22-08, 10:16 AM
rahul325
Driver School Candidate

well, i bought a 2000 rx300 back in 2005 and bought an ext warranty (4yr/50K) for $1000(max $100 deductible). i am so freakin glad i did. the car wud not go into reverse last week and this week it was lurching, RPM increases but no power to the wheels. Took it to the dealer yday and i just got the call that they gotta replace the tranny. boy, am i glad i have ext warranty !!!! was reading a few responses on cost of replacing tranny, its at least $4000.

shoud get the car back in a cpl of days and the dealer put me in a loaner 08 ES350 with 1700 mi !!!!!! this car is freakin suh weeeeet !!!!

bottom line- if u can afford it, get the ext warranty !!!!!

edit: i got mine from Eagle Warranty Corp.
Old 01-23-08, 11:35 AM
Tahmeroo
Driver School Candidate

Default New Info - Tranny and now Steering!

I found out that the tranny fluid was "replaced" at the 60K service at the local dealer. Other than this I've no clue if it was ever done prior. Do I have a 75K service to do as well, and if so, should we do the tranny fluid job again??

Now, to add to my concerns, there is a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel when i turn it...almost sounds like a coin is rattling around in there. My hubby says I'm just looking for things to be wrong, but I don't think I'm supposed to hear that much sound from the steering column - and its not when I'm using the blinker, so its not that.

Never having owned a Lexus, I'm here to find out what is normal and what isn't. I guess I should just go down the Lexus athorized shop and get the bumper to bumper once over.
HELP!
Old 01-23-08, 11:55 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

My wife has a 2002 Coach Edition with 85K miles on it. I strictly followed the scheduled maintenance and have had no major issues such as tranny problems or even minor ones. Only normal wear and tear (brake pads, tires, etc). We did not get the extended warranty.
Not knowing if your '02 has had all the proper maintenance, it might not be a bad idea to have your trusty local dealer give it the onceover for your own peace of mind. The outcome may help with your decision on a warranty. If you do choose one, scrutinize it to make sure you know what is or is not covered!
Old 01-23-08, 07:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahmeroo
I found out that the tranny fluid was "replaced" at the 60K service at the local dealer. Other than this I've no clue if it was ever done prior. Do I have a 75K service to do as well, and if so, should we do the tranny fluid job again??

Now, to add to my concerns, there is a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel when i turn it...almost sounds like a coin is rattling around in there. My hubby says I'm just looking for things to be wrong, but I don't think I'm supposed to hear that much sound from the steering column - and its not when I'm using the blinker, so its not that.

Never having owned a Lexus, I'm here to find out what is normal and what isn't. I guess I should just go down the Lexus athorized shop and get the bumper to bumper once over.
HELP!
It is kind of late, but you should have pulled the maintenance records and have the vehicle checked out by a mechanic.

Now that you own the vehicle, I would suggest taking it to the dealer and work out a program to bring the maintenance upto date. [Does not mean you let them do the work. You can have your husband, friend, yourself or an independent mechanic do these over time].

Now the clicking sound ... if it happens when you have the steering wheel turned pretty much all the way, the cv joints can be bad [this is only one of the possible causes]. Inspection will confirm or dispel it.

Salim
Old 01-24-08, 05:32 PM
Tahmeroo
Driver School Candidate

Default Got Service Records Today!

I went to dealer and they pulled the car's lifetime maintenance record. I'm happy to say every oil change and every major mileage service was done at the dealer...transmission service already done 2x, which avg. out to about every 30K. They were consistent on their oil changes at every 5k.

I've certainly learned more about buying used - thanks to everyone for their comments here. I think we're going to go w/out the warranty and save that money if or when a major repair should come around.

Luvin' my Lexus in Texas