RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

JP Performance header

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 10:40 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question JP Performance header

hey guys ... i went with my buddy to go pick up his car today... while waiting i was asking the sell rep. if they have any headers for the rx300 so he went go check and came back said no but he said JP Performance header have some for the es300 also has the same engine has the rx300 ... he said it might work but what do you guys think?

sorry if this question was a repost. did a search nothing found.

http://jpheadersexhaust.com/cgi-bin/...s%20%20Headers

Old 01-30-08, 11:50 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there room to fit those headers? ive looking for them too.
Old 01-31-08, 01:02 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To my recollection this came up several years ago and I don't believe they will fit. There is a significant difference in the routing of the plumbing and clearances in the RX engine bay are not the same as the Camry or ES. Before making a purchase, ask around. Maybe someone here has some direct experience?
Old 01-31-08, 07:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
To my recollection this came up several years ago and I don't believe they will fit. There is a significant difference in the routing of the plumbing and clearances in the RX engine bay are not the same as the Camry or ES. Before making a purchase, ask around. Maybe someone here has some direct experience?
That is correct.

Now for some info and a bit of a commentary

There are some minor but important differences in the plumbing. In addition, the precats come off with this setup. Now, in Mexico I have been able to pass emissions here (and that on bad gas) that are at California levels, but my tests are voluntary, and I don't have precats anymore.

However, Toyota Solaras (similar 1MZFE engine) sold in California had to come with precats, while in other areas they didn't come with them. There is a chance you might pass and then a chance you might now, but I guarantee you if I kept my OEM cat, it wouldn't pass, only way that occurred is with the use of a Magnaflow 3 way cat.

With the plumbing the major difference is the connection between the main pipe and the header going to the rear of engine and a crossbeam by the power steering rack, which would require some slight modification by a muffler or exhaust shop.

On a side note that connection to the rear header on the engine bothers me, it is not as direct, but this is in order to equalize exhaust flow. Can't say with all my exhaust modifications I ever found this useful.

Moreover that long straight pipe in front of the cat, nope, well I am having problems with the 8 inch flex pipe I have not in front of my cat and have considered either moving to a 2 in one 1 cat or just cutting of my flex pipe and have a y right at the front of the cat. This particular issue is what is KILLING me on having a record time in the 1/4 mile, I know because the torque converter I have is a monster, and gave me a vehicle speed record last week given improvements to the higher gears, but at the low end I am 99% positive that straight pipe in from of the cat, with that similar length I see in this header package, nope.

So in the end, pass on these headers.

The only thing I do like on them are the exhaust manifolds and those should bolt directly, but I think I read on solaraguy.org if I am not mistaken, those alone, you could get for $1000 USD, but don't quote me on that. I think I remember someone asking them.

Last edited by Lexmex; 01-31-08 at 09:59 AM.