RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clanking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 01:24 AM
Pescao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same noise and ended up been the arm plates. A real loud "tunk" that could feel it on the steering. If that;s the case, go for the Toyota Camry 1994-98 and look for the replacements. They runs for about $40.00 dollars instead $300.00 that Lexus wants to charge me.
Old 03-03-10, 07:34 PM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

nothing in the steering, just clancking noise sound from the bottom of the car. I am sure it comes from the exhaust spring connection and want to make sure i have a solution before open it.
Old 03-23-10, 01:32 AM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

On Sunday I opend to back and middle flange connection if the exhaust. I added a ring shape spacer (0.8~1.0 mm thick) between the exhaust tube and the exisiting gasket (both rear and mid flanges) to improve the tighness of the flange joined by the 14 mm screws and the springs. The clanking noise improved a lot but surprisingly still exisit.

The intresting part i found the inner of the Catalitic convertor was stuffed with rust particls (picture below). I managed to take out about 1/2 glass of rust particls. I am now suspecting the Cat might be blocked or broken inside and this is causing the clanking noise. I am also suspecting the blocked cat can be the reason for my poor fuel consumption (4.5 km/l, ~11 mpg).

Anyone saw this before? How can I check the Cat without replacing it?
Attached Thumbnails Clanking noise-cat-rust_1_1.jpg   Clanking noise-cat-rust_2_1.jpg  

Last edited by ilanh; 03-23-10 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 05:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

There's a gasket just in front of the cat that has two 14 mm bolts on it, and you can take pull down the section of pipe and see what you see inside the cat by shining a light in there and shaking it. In general, when a cat goes, the P0420 code is supposed to show up in the OBD2 codes, though most of the time this relates to the O2 sensor after the cat or a temporary air/fuel issue. This code was most common with vehicles back in Mexico.
Old 03-23-10, 07:12 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a noise when i drive and the car has been sitting overnight. But its only when i go over bumps and it come from the front right, im thinking it is the strut making noise. Any advice would help.
Old 03-23-10, 09:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99rx
I have a noise when i drive and the car has been sitting overnight. But its only when i go over bumps and it come from the front right, im thinking it is the strut making noise. Any advice would help.
What kind of noise, metallic, rubber?
Old 03-23-10, 12:56 PM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexmex
What kind of noise, metallic, rubber?
Just like when i go over bumps its like a creaking or like your tapping tap shoes together, that's all i can think of, haha. Its just annoying and would love to fix it if possible.
Old 03-23-10, 01:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Just like when i go over bumps its like a creaking or like your tapping tap shoes together, that's all i can think of, haha. Its just annoying and would love to fix it if possible.
I'd try to put some force on that side. I usually open up the rear hatch and hold the vehicle with two hands and pull it up and down while listening and see if I can find the noise.
Old 03-23-10, 07:09 PM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

I already opend the 2 14mm bolts in front of the Cat and pull out the rust particls as in the picture, I looked with a light but didn't see anything wrong or shaky. I still suspect the Cat is blocked or broken inside and this is the source of the clanking noise

How can I see if the P0420 code exist?
Can a blocked/broken Cat cause higher fuel consumption?
What is the rust particls found inside the Cat? Where is it come from?
Old 03-24-10, 01:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ilanh
I already opend the 2 14mm bolts in front of the Cat and pull out the rust particls as in the picture, I looked with a light but didn't see anything wrong or shaky. I still suspect the Cat is blocked or broken inside and this is the source of the clanking noise

How can I see if the P0420 code exist?
Can a blocked/broken Cat cause higher fuel consumption?
What is the rust particls found inside the Cat? Where is it come from?
For the P0420 code, you can use an OBD2 scanner and plug in as described here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-you-had.html

You might have a pending P0420, but I doubt it.

Yes, a busted cat can lead to higher fuel consumption but it depends on how much blockage, most of the time something like this will just contribute to a little backpressure on the exhaust and it won't be noticeable.

Well the honeycomb material inside the cat is made up of precious metals, that's just bits of the main part of the cat.

If you really had a big time issue with the cat the P0420 should come on or some other CEL code and some people have even reported a glowing red cat.
Old 03-24-10, 06:41 PM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I'd try to put some force on that side. I usually open up the rear hatch and hold the vehicle with two hands and pull it up and down while listening and see if I can find the noise.
I tried that with the hood up and bouncing up and down on the front right strut. Do you think i can lube it or grease it somehow??
Old 03-24-10, 07:26 PM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

so I am back to square 1: I still have the clanking noise while acceleration from stop(lower level then before) and high fuel consumption (~11 mpg), any idea how to move forward?
Old 03-25-10, 09:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I tried that with the hood up and bouncing up and down on the front right strut. Do you think i can lube it or grease it somehow??
You can try spraying the rubber areas with some WD40 for a start to see if that minimizes the creaking.
Old 03-25-10, 09:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ilanh
so I am back to square 1: I still have the clanking noise while acceleration from stop(lower level then before) and high fuel consumption (~11 mpg), any idea how to move forward?
What kind of smell are you getting on the exhaust right now?
Old 03-26-10, 12:26 AM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

nothing special, seems normal ehaust smell.
When starting at morning smell more like fuel and the RPM around 1,500 but will come down to 750 and normal smell aftre engine get warm

Quick Reply: Clanking noise