RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clanking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 09:34 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking noise

Needs some suggestions on what would cause a clanking noise. It happens when car is in a dead stop, shift to "drive" or "reverse", move slowly 10 feet or so and there's a quick "clank-clank", similar to the sound when you drive over a man-hole cover. Hear it all the time when I backup into the driveway.

I want to say its steering related as it comes from the front of the car, but can't be sure if it's steering.

Did a search and most of the problems people have with steering is a squeal or groan versus a clank. Suggestions on fixing the squeal were to WD40 the rubber boot.

I'm going to do that first, but would like any other suggestions to try while I'm at it should that not work.

I'm hoping(praying) its not transmission.
Old 02-18-08, 11:50 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Well, there's a clanking/knocking noise can come from the front brakes as you press/release them when they are cold - we were told it was the calipers sticking to the slide rods, which made some sense. Or is this nothing to do with applying the brakes?
Old 02-18-08, 12:20 PM
hitthepin
Driver

I don't think its brake related. The car will roll a good 10 feet, sometimes 20 and it'll give a clank.

The reason I think its steering related is, when I back up, I'll turn the wheel slightly to adjust and it will clank. It also only happens at parking lot speeds.
Old 02-18-08, 02:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Probably brake related (assuming you are keeping the steering wheel straight), as I have lubed up my steering system to death, and I can still hear a clank coming from the front brake area.

The other thing that can make an annoying noise like that is an exhaust joint that is in front of the catalytic converter. I replaced that with a flex pipe after numerous incidents with it making a clanking noise.

You have to get underneath there and check to see these two 14 mm bolts are tight, otherwise it can give a clank-clank.
Attached Thumbnails Clanking noise-img_3107.jpg  
Old 02-18-08, 02:58 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Lexmex, if it's brake related could it be as the sktn77a said and caused by a sticky caliper? Or something else brake related? This noise happens without the use of the brake.

I'll check out those 14mm blots on the exhaust. Thanks for the pic and the info.

BTW: How loud was the clank noise in your example? Mine sounds like a torque wrench click(or clank) only higher in volume. Other then annoyance, in your opinion is there a safety and/or performance issue. I personally don't mind if the vehicle developed a noise as long as its mechanically sound.
Old 02-18-08, 03:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Sounded like a pop sometimes, but when it would clank clank sounded like hitting two spoons together about 5 feet away.

I would check on the front brakes if you see a lot of brake dust around there. I never noticed much of an issue with the brakes, just more of an annoyance.

The exhaust issue was a problem for me, it affected my MPG and my power, but I am not sure what it would do on a stock RX300.

That clank with the exhaust I would also notice when coming to a stop or just shortly after taking off from a light, even if I never hit the brakes and was just slowing down and then speeding up again.
Old 02-18-08, 04:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Hitthepin:

If it occurs without touching the brakes then it's probably different to the noise we had.
Old 02-18-08, 05:17 PM
hitthepin
Driver

The two spoon example is a way to describe what I'm hearing as well.

I'll check to see if its any of these problems. I don't see any performance issues other then the noise being there and the MPG is still the same.
Old 02-18-08, 05:21 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Hitthepin:

If it occurs without touching the brakes then it's probably different to the noise we had.
Thanks. An example of when I hear the noise. Say your turn the car on, naturally I'll put my foot on the brake before I shift it into drive. Shift to "drive", without giving it any gas let the car roll forward 10 feet or so and I'll hear it. Same thing shifting to "reverse".
Old 02-22-08, 11:41 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Brake Fix Kit & Shim Kit

There are some other threads on this sound...which to me is almost identical to what your describing.

GS's apparently have a sticky barke pad to caliper problem which makes a loud Pop/Clank sound.

This has been reported on cars with 20K, and with 150K miles.

Lexus sells a Fix Kit, costs $65 for this, they also sell a Shim kit $85.

There are some posts where the peolpe have tried applying grease to the back of the brake pads, and this apparently stops the sound for a week or so...then it comes back.

I will try to find the thread (its recent) which describes almost identical problem as your having..

I say 90% chance its the Fit Kit/Shim kit you need.
Old 02-22-08, 11:46 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the link to the existing thread on this sound...there are also several others.

You will notice people who take their cars to Dealerships are NEVER satisfied...and after they finally installed the Fix Kits, they all claim the sound disappeared.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ake+click+loud

BTW: Mine started making the clank sound 6 months ago...it happens usually at slow speed, turning, and always after Ive gon from reverse to farward and then come to a stop. Its loud.

Ive checked all bolts, and ive disassemble brakes 3 times.

I bought the Fix kit this week, and the shim kit, and plan on installing them this weekend...if this fixed the problem, I will re-post for your benefit.
Old 02-22-08, 12:58 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by az-dave
Here is the link to the existing thread on this sound...there are also several others.

You will notice people who take their cars to Dealerships are NEVER satisfied...and after they finally installed the Fix Kits, they all claim the sound disappeared.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ake+click+loud

BTW: Mine started making the clank sound 6 months ago...it happens usually at slow speed, turning, and always after Ive gon from reverse to farward and then come to a stop. Its loud.

Ive checked all bolts, and ive disassemble brakes 3 times.

I bought the Fix kit this week, and the shim kit, and plan on installing them this weekend...if this fixed the problem, I will re-post for your benefit.

ahh, thank you. No wonder I missed this thread in the search, I wasn't using the right key words.

I orginally thought it wasn't the brakes, but after the last couple of days driving the RX, I hear the noise most in the situation you're experiencing. Please post about the shim kit.
Old 02-23-10, 12:54 AM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

Lexmex hi, this is Ilan, I am reffering to the thread #4 above:

I had the same clanking noise, last weekend I investigated and added spacer to the 14mm bolts to strengthen the spring force. I did it only to the rear joint connecting to the rear muffler and the major clancking noise dissapear. I still have small clancking noise and suspect it comes from the front joint to the cat.

I just wonder why did it happen? because the bolts, springs, exhaust tube, muffelrs, hanging rubbers all looks good.

Can you advise on a professional long term solution.
Is there a gasket between the 2 pipes, I didn't see one in the rear one I opened.

Last edited by ilanh; 02-23-10 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 06:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ilanh
Lexmex hi, this is Ilan, I am reffering to the thread #4 above:

I had the same clanking noise, last weekend I investigated and added spacer to the 14mm bolts to strengthen the spring force. I did it only to the rear joint connecting to the rear muffler and the major clancking noise dissapear. I still have small clancking noise and suspect it comes from the front joint to the cat.

I just wonder why did it happen? because the bolts, springs, exhaust tube, muffelrs, hanging rubbers all looks good.

Can you advise on a professional long term solution.
Is there a gasket between the 2 pipes, I didn't see one in the rear one I opened.
Parts can get old over time and gaskets can get rotted out as shown below.

My long term solution was to eliminate those gaskets and go to straight pipe, but replacing the gasket helps. Some I know (not necessarily with the RX300) use some Permatex to seal the area, but that's just a temporary solutino and doesn't always work.
Attached Thumbnails Clanking noise-rottedburned.jpg  
Old 02-23-10, 11:07 PM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

Lexmex hi,
When I opened the rear side no gasket was there, it seemed that one side has a ring sticking out and sit into the other side matching place presses by the 2x 14 mm bolt & spring force which joint the 2 sides together with some flexability for the vobration.

So I am not clear where exactly the gasket fits?

Quick Reply: Clanking noise