RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Leaking Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 01:28 PM
JM5879
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Tranny

I saw one of the other threads about a leaky tranny but mines not coming from that location. I have a 99' rx300 with around 89k miles on it..noticed that my tranny is leaking and climbed under the car to see where its coming from..to me it looks like its coming from around the driverside drive axel...is this a bad or worn seal? and would something like slick50's tranny leak stop stop this? and how bad is it to drive with a leak as long as i keep the atf fluid at the nessacary amount.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated..
Old 02-19-08, 01:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

That would be the front differential area of the tranny in this location. To confirm, the fluid was red in color and leaking out of that area?

If that is the case, there are seals on either side of the of the differential there. I had those replaced when I did tranny work back in December. In order to change out the seal, there is a special service tool that one needs to get at it. Some tranny shops and mechanics will also be able to get at it. This will require one to remove the wheel and the axle to get at this location, not exactly easy, but it could be worse if you have the leak on the other side of the this differential.

There is some gunk my uncle has used as a sealer in the past, but I am not sure about the name of it, he used it to help seal up the transfer case area last December when he had the seals changed out on that. However, I won't be able to check him until the weekend to see what he used for this.

For the moment, just watch your ATF level.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Tranny-img_3682.jpg  
Old 02-19-08, 01:46 PM
JM5879
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you...

yup its red..at first thought it was oil so didnt really question it at first but when i got home when day checked to see if it was still leaking and started freaking out cause it was red..lol..

if thats looking into the engine bay from the driverside right tire that looks exactly where its coming from..they can change this seal without dropping the tranny or taking it apart?

yeah check my fluids everyday and keep a spare bottle of the toyota IV in my car. if you could ask your uncle that would be great..thanks again, and especially for the quick response.
Old 02-19-08, 02:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

That's right, they don't need to pull off the tranny on that side. This actually on the left side of the vehicle (driver's side).

I will ask my uncle on the weekend what he used, as I am sure even if it has a Spanish name or is a Mexican product, the raw product is probably available in the United States, too.

This is another photo from the other side and you can see some of this product used (though this wasn't used for a leak, rather an adhesive when the tranny was installed at the factory).

The seal is that gray rubber ring you see.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Tranny-img_3569.jpg  
Old 02-19-08, 04:35 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

both seals can be changed, left or right, I changed the left seal myself, and it is a bear putting the new seal in without the tool. I used a block of wood, destroyed one seal, and learned and the second one went in fine.