RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

premium octane fuel? 87 vs 91?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 09:45 AM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i get 92-93 octane, the super stuff, is that bad? it is just a habit. i dont put a lot of miles on my lexus so cost is not a big deal as far as gas goes. i dont buy the super stuff to be a snob or because i believe it makes the car run magically either, but it does knock on regular so i just out of habit use the super. without starting a technical sparring match or something.. i wondered if 92-93 can actually "harm" the vehicle? or just my bank account? ha ha
Old 04-12-09, 11:19 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by praxis
i get 92-93 octane, the super stuff, is that bad? it is just a habit. i dont put a lot of miles on my lexus so cost is not a big deal as far as gas goes. i dont buy the super stuff to be a snob or because i believe it makes the car run magically either, but it does knock on regular so i just out of habit use the super. without starting a technical sparring match or something.. i wondered if 92-93 can actually "harm" the vehicle? or just my bank account? ha ha
Praxis- I wouldn't argue with anyone who wants to run 91,92 or 93 octane in their car, no matter what it is or what it calls for. I wouldn't argue with anyone who says their RX (or other car ) gets better mileage on it or runs smother on it. That's their business. I can say that I don't think 92-93 can hurt anything but your wallet. For those that have used 87 (or whatever is regular in your area) with no problem and then used higher octane for a while and then gone back and had detonation, try unhooking the battery for a while and then see if the knock detectors don't relearn to run on 87. My DIL's has 130k mi. and I have driven it enough to know there is not and has never been a trace of detonation. That is all that has ever been used in it and the book says you can use it.
Use the 92-93 if that is what you want and can afford.
Old 04-13-09, 05:33 AM
upther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I plan to give Shell another shot next time I fill up (though I suspect nitrogen is a sheer marketing ploy on Shell's part). My girlfriend has had a CEL virtually everytime she has filled up with BP with her Expedition, though sometimes the cel (an A/F sensor) is pending as I check it when the vehicle is back after having filled up.
I didn't notice anything better with the supposed new and improved Shell gas. I get better mileage from the 93 octane at Hess and even Murphy's/Walmart. Not to mention that the Shell was a good $0.25 more per gallon than Hess.
Old 04-13-09, 07:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by upther
I didn't notice anything better with the supposed new and improved Shell gas. I get better mileage from the 93 octane at Hess and even Murphy's/Walmart. Not to mention that the Shell was a good $0.25 more per gallon than Hess.
My girlfriend just tried the 87 octane Shell (she always runs 87) and wasn't impressed and felt she had lost gas mileage with it given she has just made her commute on it for a week. I didn't tell her I had filled it up with it so talk about a blind taste test.

I have one Hess further down south, but it's a rare sight down here.
Old 04-13-09, 07:29 AM
upther
Driver School Candidate

Hess is quite popular in this part of the state and usually has the best prices on gas. Usually the only way to beat them is the $0.03 off deal with a Walmart card. The savings aren't worth the hassle.
Old 04-13-09, 07:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ah, okay, I see where you are at up in Brevard.

I'll have to check the price on Hess next time I go by the station. For those in southern Miami, I know one at 168th and US1.
Old 04-13-09, 07:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

ya know,we beat this subject to death,but it`s still fun isnt it??
Old 04-13-09, 11:05 AM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

well... you do all seem to be having fun.

evidently the super stuff will do no harm so im ok with it. thanks. carry on... haha.
Old 04-13-09, 11:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by praxis
well... you do all seem to be having fun.

evidently the super stuff will do no harm so im ok with it. thanks. carry on... haha.
Yeah,You can run 87-93 in the RX.But I personally think it runs best on the premium.

Last edited by lexus114; 04-13-09 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 02:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lexus114
ya know,we beat this subject to death,but it`s still fun isnt it??
Only issue I have is when we have current multiple threads about the same subject, which he don't really have right now on this subject.

However, it is important because of the economy and the price of gas, because even if gas is cheaper than it was a year ago, a lot of us are in a worse financial situation than we were a year ago and we want to know not just what octane but what gas.

Yes, I am aware that the base gas is really the same, but in my opinion, I have had different experiences with different gasolines based on their additives.

Seeing how much better a certain U.S. gasoline is compared to what I had to deal with south of the border is always fun.
Old 04-14-09, 05:43 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, I've always used premium on my vehciles (will explain the math later) but last week I had to run 87 because the station I was at ran out of premium (93) and the mid grade (91) also. Not sure how that happened, but hey ,that's what he said. I should have taken just a few gallons and gone to the next station, but stupid me I took a full tank. I've only got 115K on my '99 and it occured twice during several hard accelerations on merges and lane changes, but the car backfired. I thought I was at the wrong part of town and someone was firing at me...

I know it was my car because one of the two times there we no cars around me. Other than the hard acceleration, the car did not seem sluggish or drive any "worse" per say. So from my experience, I can say that 87 under hard conditions will have an adverse affect on your engine and performance. Unless you like the sound of gun fire while you're driving.

As for pricing... I like to look at the big picture, meaning what you're doing the full year. Here are the numbers I'm getting for my RX and LS, figuring averages and 15,000 miles/year usage:

RX - 19 mpg
LS - 23 mpg

cost now: $1.99/gal for 87 and $2.20/gal for 92-93
cost highest ever : $3.95/gal for 87 and $4.25/gal for 92-93

Cost RX - $1571.11 vs. $1736.90 = $165.79 / year or $13.82 / month
$3118.53 vs. $3355.38 = $236.85 / year or $19.74 / month

Cost LS - $1297.88 vs. $1434.84 = $136.96 / year or $11.41 / month
$2576.19 vs. $2771.85 = $195.66 / year or $16.31 / month

So on a monthly basis, I would be "saving" from $12-20 using regular fuel presuming that I get NO performance variance or fuel mileage droppage. Honestly, I'd rather save two McD value meals or drink a few less cafe latte at Starbucks than risk possibly damaging my luxo vehicles. The "perception" of savings just doesn't add up for me.
Old 04-14-09, 06:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

For me, it's easy for me to choose premium based on experience, but also I don't drive as much as I did in Mexico, so I am not wasting as much $$$. One interesting thing I have to watch for is that every now and then stations here in Miami can widely vary their prices. I have seen some stations separated by 40 blocks, where the price of regular at the same branded station is the price of premium at the same branded station in another location. Seems to be a function of high traffic location and I also think the income group of the surrounding area.
Old 04-14-09, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Okay, I've always used premium on my vehciles (will explain the math later) but last week I had to run 87 because the station I was at ran out of premium (93) and the mid grade (91) also. Not sure how that happened, but hey ,that's what he said. I should have taken just a few gallons and gone to the next station, but stupid me I took a full tank. I've only got 115K on my '99 and it occured twice during several hard accelerations on merges and lane changes, but the car backfired. I thought I was at the wrong part of town and someone was firing at me...

I know it was my car because one of the two times there we no cars around me. Other than the hard acceleration, the car did not seem sluggish or drive any "worse" per say. So from my experience, I can say that 87 under hard conditions will have an adverse affect on your engine and performance. Unless you like the sound of gun fire while you're driving.

As for pricing... I like to look at the big picture, meaning what you're doing the full year. Here are the numbers I'm getting for my RX and LS, figuring averages and 15,000 miles/year usage:

RX - 19 mpg
LS - 23 mpg

cost now: $1.99/gal for 87 and $2.20/gal for 92-93
cost highest ever : $3.95/gal for 87 and $4.25/gal for 92-93

Cost RX - $1571.11 vs. $1736.90 = $165.79 / year or $13.82 / month
$3118.53 vs. $3355.38 = $236.85 / year or $19.74 / month

Cost LS - $1297.88 vs. $1434.84 = $136.96 / year or $11.41 / month
$2576.19 vs. $2771.85 = $195.66 / year or $16.31 / month

So on a monthly basis, I would be "saving" from $12-20 using regular fuel presuming that I get NO performance variance or fuel mileage droppage. Honestly, I'd rather save two McD value meals or drink a few less cafe latte at Starbucks than risk possibly damaging my luxo vehicles. The "perception" of savings just doesn't add up for me.
Wow backfired huh??,I know the last time I ran regular in mine,I had to beat this Jerk off the line from a stop light because it goes into one lane and I didnt feel like being cut off.Anyway,besides getting yelled at from the other half,after I did it,the RX felt like it was going to stall on me when we had to slow down.I thought uh-oh I did it now,I blew a gasket or something.Never does that on the higher grade of fuel.

Last edited by lexus114; 04-14-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 01:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by upther
I went down to the Hess station that I mentioned earlier at 168th and US1 here in Miami and was shocked to fine it was closed. The pumps had been taken out, signs removed. Looked like there had not been a gas station there in a thousand years. Wonder if this is going to affect Hess statewide.
Old 04-16-09, 01:28 PM
upther
Driver School Candidate

I don't think so. The one in town here just installed new pumps about 6 months ago and is right by the boat ramp so they make a killing on weekends. If they go then I'm left with Walmart/Murphy's, the over priced Shell, and an over priced BP that charges extra for credit/debit cards.

Quick Reply: premium octane fuel? 87 vs 91?