RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Few cosmetic questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 04:40 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Few cosmetic questions...

I'm going to order HID's for the RX. Question is, has anyone used ebay for that? Also, the headlights are a little cloudy. Has anyone done the "restore" thing or should I just replace the headlamps?

I want to do the same with the rear lights, possibly going with the LED red/smoke lights from Ebay.

I found the kits on ebay ranging from 80 shipped to 160 shipped...

What should I buy as far as HID kits and would you do the low and hi beams of just the low? What about the projectors? Should I do them HID in a higher temp or go with yellow bulbs?

Thanks.
Old 02-29-08, 06:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

try this; www.plasmaGarage.com
Old 02-29-08, 07:29 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Your options are driven by what you want and how much you want to spend.

Are you looking for bluish-white appearance when the lights are on?
Do you want greenish lenses during day time?
Do you care for a projector with sharp focus & cutoff & auto-leveling [visibility for you and courtesy+safety for oncoming traffic.

The cheapest conversion kit, I have seen is through Harbor-Freight. Buying through ebay has its advantages & risks. Check Club-Lexus sponsors and also visit the General interest group of Club-Lexus for good information.

Personally, I have seen people go for the "pure white look" for the onlookers [indirect perceived fell good by the modder] and if not done right, comes with poorer visibility. I would urge you to spend the money and do it right, but the cost shoots up.

Salim
Old 02-29-08, 08:14 AM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a kit on eBay about 2 years ago for my sc300 (10k 9006 HID kit for about $120 shipped) and it worked great for about 8 months then one of the ballast died, replaced it, then about another 6-8 months later one of the bulbs went out. the kit was easy to install (they all are), looked good (I'm sure they all do) but it just didn't last very long. the kits are even cheaper now (98 shipped), I would honestly just buy 2 of them at the same time and keep the 2nd set for spare bulbs/ballasts... should last at least 2 years if not longer for under $200
Old 02-29-08, 01:19 PM
SLPR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my low beams converted to 8000K HID with an eBay kit and my fog lights to 6000K with an eBay kit, 2 years with no problems. 6000K is technically brighter than 8000K but 8000K appears brighter to the human eye, and it is more bluish, so whatever your preference is go with that one. If you are worried about eBay kits go to www.ddmtuning.com , their ddm kit (not the apexcone kit) is a very good high quality application for the rx 300.

I have also tried restoring my headlights and it did not accomplish much, there are some headlights on eBay that come with CCFL angel eyes you probably saw these, for $200, I would try those instead. And I don't have the LED tails yet but I plan on getting them. I wouldn't do HIDs in the center DLR/high beams but if you put some Silverstar Ultra's in there that woulb be a nice upgrade. Let me know if you have any more questions...
Old 03-01-08, 12:31 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Thanks guys. I really want visibility over appearance so I might go with a 6000K over the more blueish 8000k, plus I think I'll draw less attention from the cops, and try the 8000K for my fogs. I wonder how that would look...

Last night I just tried to "renew" my headlights and I'm really pleased with the results, I think I saved me some $200 from buying new ones so I will use that money to order two HID kits tomorrow. I used Blue Magic headlight restorer with an attachment for my drill and a foam applicator. This is what I ended up with.

You can tell by the date the before and after. The pictures don't do justice to either one. It looked worst in person and now looks better in person. I'll do the same to the rears as soon as daylight hits my door.
Old 03-01-08, 07:49 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like you have new headlamps.
Old 03-01-08, 07:50 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Looks very nice.

Now for the bad news .... the yellowing/haze is going to come-back lot sooner. You have lost the coating. [what good was the coating if it was already hazed up].

Some one did mention there is a way to add the protective coating.

Salim
Old 03-01-08, 11:27 AM
TampRX300
Driver

That my friend, is what I didn't want to hear. I thought about it when I was doing it... Well, at least it will buy me some time while I do the other upgrades.
Old 03-01-08, 01:53 PM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my headlights with the sandpapers 1500,2000 grit followed by Plastix by hand, and its been a little over a year and still looks new. So I wouldn't worry too much about the hazing coming back so soon.
Old 03-01-08, 06:19 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Good. I'm just wondering what to do next. The rear alteeza lights or the HID's... What about the chrome grill? Who has done it or where can I get it? any kit for DIY?
Old 03-02-08, 04:57 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Well, if I get a "kit" and just do the HID with my current headlamps, will I have any poor lighting or be a hazard to oncoming traffic? Would I benefit from projectors instead?
Old 03-06-08, 06:30 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Going back to the above question...

Those "projectors" available for the RX, aftermarket types, as anyone tried them with and HID kit? How do they perform? What is the benefit of a retro-fit when comparing the cost of both?
Old 03-07-08, 05:39 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out the CL lighting forum and one of our vendors, XenonDepot. He's very knowledgeable and has been more than helpful with questions like these. Contact him on the forum, via PM, or through the company website, http://www.kbcarstuff.com
Old 03-23-08, 10:17 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Ok, ended up getting new headlamps and HID's. Looks good IMHO. I like it and I'm pleased with the improvement at night. The housing are now chrome, which will lead me to get chrome looking rears and 18" chrome wheels along with chroming the grill. I'm just not too fond on the combo of Golden Pearl with chrome, I'll see how it comes out. Or might just leave everything the way it is, not likely...

Quick Reply: Few cosmetic questions...