RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Spark OEM Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 10:56 AM
equsnarnd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salim,
Thanks for that. Do you, does anyone, have a recommended youtube clip that shows how to remove the intake manifold. I have a seized spark plug on cylinder 5 and there is simply no room to work it back and forth to get ti out. I don't have a cordless ratchet wrench but would buy one with 65 ft lb of torque
if anyone can tell me it can generate enough torque to work the plug back and forth. But perhaps that's not a good way to go and that more control over the back and forth, provided by doing it by hand is needed. I've looked on youtube for a clear set of instructions to remove the intake manifold and haven't found it. Does anyone have a url to one.
And, 2, would a cordless 65 ft lb of torque ratchet wrench be useful. If anyone has used that tool to remove a seized plug I'd try it and could avoid removing the intake manifold.
Thanks
Old 04-25-21, 03:47 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by equsnarnd
Salim,
Thanks for that. Do you, does anyone, have a recommended youtube clip that shows how to remove the intake manifold. I have a seized spark plug on cylinder 5 and there is simply no room to work it back and forth to get ti out. I don't have a cordless ratchet wrench but would buy one with 65 ft lb of torque
if anyone can tell me it can generate enough torque to work the plug back and forth. But perhaps that's not a good way to go and that more control over the back and forth, provided by doing it by hand is needed. I've looked on youtube for a clear set of instructions to remove the intake manifold and haven't found it. Does anyone have a url to one.
And, 2, would a cordless 65 ft lb of torque ratchet wrench be useful. If anyone has used that tool to remove a seized plug I'd try it and could avoid removing the intake manifold.
Thanks
Power tools have their use, but I don't use them for this purpose. There is no direct access to put a power tool as I know it. I would suggest stay with a ratchet and different extensions ... i recall changing the extensions with the socket still on the plug. Use penetrant oil and be patient. If other plugs are there, you can warm up the engine a bit, but let the penetrant work its way.

I have written instructions on how to change the knock sensors in out DIY thread. Some one posted looks to a video too. The process of removing the intake is there. Keep in mind you may create a snowball as you take the intake out and you will need gaskets to put it back. It may be worth calling a mobile mechanic.

Also, get an in-lb torque wrench if you can for all low torque use.I suggest 3 torque wrenches ... low in in-lb, med upto 60-70ftlb and big upto 150+ ft-lbs.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-25-21 at 09:40 PM. Reason: till -> still (typo)