RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Toyota dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 06:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Toyota dealership

You know,it seems to me, after reading posts re; this,That Toyota dealers resent working on Lexus.And I`m wondering why?

Last edited by lexus114; 03-20-08 at 07:46 AM. Reason: re-done
Old 03-20-08, 07:49 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I would hope in this economy that they would bend over backwards for your business. I have heard that many are stretching everything including maintenance because of the gas prices, etc. Maita Toyota of Sacramento has always done good by me...
Old 03-20-08, 07:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

That`s good to hear,I have only gone to my local toyota dealer here once,(for trans fluid)and they seemed ok.

Last edited by lexus114; 03-20-08 at 07:54 AM. Reason: editing
Old 03-20-08, 08:21 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In my area, one Toyota dealer basically doesn't work on Lexus' (Jack Taylor) and the other one does (Koontz, at least for oil changes). Neither one is owned by a Lexus dealership or nearby one. I think that the Lexus dealers may have applied pressure.
Old 03-20-08, 08:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I never thought of that,maybe Lexus does put pressure on the toyota dealers.
Old 03-20-08, 11:39 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
You know,it seems to me, after reading posts re; this,That Toyota dealers resent working on Lexus.And I`m wondering why?
My local Toyota dealer is always happy to see my Lexus there.
Old 03-20-08, 06:25 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking for my A/F sensor, I called the yota dealer close by us in Brandon FL as there's only one Lexus dealer in Tampa and it's really far from me, at least too difficult to get to. Well, I asked for the A/F sensor for my RX and they told me they didn't sell Lexus parts. I had my wife call later to ask for the A/F sensor for a 2001 Avalon which is the same and they had it for $207. She then asked if it would fit the RX300 and they said yes, then she asked if they would change it for her and they told her that to be sure she needed to bring the car to Lexus to do a diagnostic. If she brought a letter from the Lexus service department to them stating that the A/F sensors are bad, they would change it out WITHOUT warranty on the service. I ended up buying the sensor on Ebay for $150 shipped and it fixed my problem.
Old 03-20-08, 06:52 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I have two different Lexus dealers in my area. One dealer is a very small volume dealer that has a small service bay, in contrast...we have another Lexus dealer that is split Lexus/Toyota in the same building. The Lexus service is only open to 6pm M-F while the Toyota service is open till midnight M-F and closed on Sat-Sun.

Not sure if Toyota service techs are service Lexus vehicles and vice versa.

Out in the country where I purchased my Toyota...they do service Lexus vehicles on occasion.
Old 03-21-08, 07:17 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can sort of see a few reasons why would not do it. One is obvious, that there is a nearly Lexus dealer (within 30 miles let's say) and they either don't want to, or are told by parent company not do, fix Lexus vehicles. Two is that a Toyota is a Toyota and a Lexus is a Lexus, the dealer probably doesn't want a bunch of Lexus' bogging down their service bays in front of Toyota customers who may not necessarily know that they're "the same" and think "oh boy, what are these rich snobs doing here taking up my time....", and third I can think of is the price selling. What do you do when you go to a shop? You wait but walk around the dealership looking at what is on the floor. What if by chance, you walk around and find a Toyota you like (i.e. Camry) and you look into that, rather than a more money maker for Toyota like the ES350.

These are just my thoughts...
Old 03-21-08, 09:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

some very interesting thoughts,I appreciate all of the comeback re;this thread. thanx
Old 03-21-08, 09:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Reality check ...

How many who drive a Lexus, openly say they drive a Toyota?

The parent company is making a distinction between the two by pricing, warranty and image.

Salim
Old 03-21-08, 11:31 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Glory glory

Originally Posted by salimshah
Reality check ...

How many who drive a Lexus, openly say they drive a Toyota?

The parent company is making a distinction between the two by pricing, warranty and image.

Salim

I don't say I drive a Toyota because I don't drive a Toyota, I drive a Lexus. Toyota is just the "parent" company, but it's not a "Toyota" or else it would not have the big L inside the oval.

Just like those that drive a Lincoln Navigator are not going to say they drive a Ford.
Old 03-21-08, 06:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Many times down here I have to tell people it is a Toyota, because they just don't understand when I say Lexus. Sometimes I have to tell them it is the 'marca lujo" or "luxury brand" of Toyota, so they understand.
Old 03-21-08, 06:19 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

funny all my friends say the oposite, it is just a glorified toyota....
Old 03-21-08, 08:33 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Many times down here I have to tell people it is a Toyota, because they just don't understand when I say Lexus. Sometimes I have to tell them it is the 'marca lujo" or "luxury brand" of Toyota, so they understand.
Lexmex, what does it say on the windows of your RX? My father bought a '99 when they first came out, all the windows have "Toyota" decals. People use to say he over paid for a Toyota and they were too cheap to put Lexus decals on the glass. Our '02 has "Lexus" written on it.

Quick Reply: Toyota dealership