RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Filter Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 02:53 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Filter Prices

Trying to find out where some of you are getting your filters. Is there an online source anyone is using to get better price?

Is there an aftermarket filter that I should stay away from?

What brands are out there and at what prices delivered?
Old 03-27-08, 05:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I can't remember offhand, but I think I paid about $45 USD or so at a Toyota dealership.
Old 03-27-08, 05:53 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Thanks, I tried calling my brother-in-law to see what they cost over where he works but I haven't been able to get a hold of him. He works in the used car dept. of a local Toyota dealer here in central Jersey, but I thought that maybe going somewhere other than toyota would be better on the wallet. I guess I'll wait till I get a hold of him to compare prices to whatever comes along online.

I found a couple different prices online and looks like there are different kits available. My build date is 2/98 and it takes a different kit then the build date of 5/98 and on. So far, the prices I looked at are steep compared to what my Super Duty trans takes. Some time back I bought 9 external OEM motorcraft filters for $40 Delivered.

I may decide to do an external filter set up like my ford, if I could find one, so I can share the filters and prolong the life of the internal filter.
Old 03-27-08, 07:06 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I have added a purolator external filter to my RX. It uses a PH8 size filter which adds a lot of extra filtering plus about 3/4 of a quart more fluid.
Old 03-27-08, 07:29 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by thomas1
I have added a purolator external filter to my RX. It uses a PH8 size filter which adds a lot of extra filtering plus about 3/4 of a quart more fluid.
How well does that work. My Ford Ranger uses the FL1A/PH8 for the engine oil. That would be a good option since that size filter is between $2-$4 depending on brand. Change it once or twice a year, depending on mileage. Now I have to look to see where to get a filter head to fit that filter.

You have any pics of install?

Does it make a difference that it's an engine oil filter?
Old 03-27-08, 08:33 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

The OEM filter is a metal screen.

Your first decision will be to wash and re-use vs change it with paper-like material. If you go with paper-like, then you must replace them religiously.

Salim
Old 03-28-08, 06:36 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had work done at 2 different Toyota dealers and both recommended not to change the trans filter. They also claimed that due to design it is not nesessary to clean the metal screen. They preferred the metal screen and said if I changed it I would be stuck with paper filters.
Old 03-28-08, 06:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

When I first changed my trans. filter in my 01 AWD,someone else had already been in their (cause it had that paper filter)My 1st to 2nd shift is sloppy,and when I went to the screen type filter (from carquest) it definatly improved the shift.(and the paper filter was not dirty) I dont know if it is due to these weak pumps they use,or what it is,but I would not recomend a paper filter in the u140f.
Old 03-28-08, 07:08 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

i dont have any pictures but I bought a kit, This is the kit I purchased:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...mission+filter
Old 03-28-08, 07:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I just might have to try that,the other thing I was considering was adding an atv cooling fan to the trans. cooler. I`m sure that would help come summer time.I`m not sure my transmission pump is strong enough for the external filter.Does it seem to get the filter dirty quick?(you can tell by the weight of the filter) Is the fluid nice and cherry longer?

Last edited by lexus114; 03-28-08 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added
Old 03-28-08, 07:29 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

I just bought the RX with 83k miles. I have no service history on it. So now I have to check if the filter has been changed to the paper. If so, I guess I'm stuck with replacing the filter vs cleaning it.

There must be a replacement with the metal screen somewhere, no? I would like to get an external filter like above without worrying about changing the one in the pan everytime I do a trans oil change.

This price search is going to be more of a finding out if I have the metal screen and just add the external.

Anyone know if the PH8A can be used with the trans oil? Trans oil is thinner but it should still work. Just would like to get some input on that external setup.

Thanks all for the responses. Philip
Old 03-28-08, 07:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I got the screen type filter @ CarQuest.It was kinda expensive though,around $65.00
Old 03-28-08, 07:43 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by thomas1
i dont have any pictures but I bought a kit, This is the kit I purchased:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...mission+filter
I didn't get to read this post and the post after before I posted my last one above.

So, this filter kit uses the standard PH8A type filter?

BTW, thomas how long have you been using that external, how many miles? Have you changed the filter yet since installed? Anything different since installed?

Also, like mentioned above, is the external filter too much for the pump to handle? For a $2 filter, I would be changing it at least once a year and adding a quart of new oil into the new filter.

I'm going to have to change the thread title from "Transmission Filter Prices" to "Transmission Filtering Options"

Thanks again

LexMex would you be able to change my thread title to 'Transmission Filtering Options' Thanks

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 03-28-08 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 08:10 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

The filter is so large that I dont believe there is any flow problems. I have had mine in the car for over 50k miles with no problems. I would use a very high quality filter (either the perma cool or mobil one or wix) Here is another site with the kit for cheaper:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=prm-10678

I mounted the filter on the left frame, very low on the car. You have to remove the splash shield to remove the filter, but it works great there.
Old 03-28-08, 08:24 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

So far in the last 50k miles since my transmission replacement, the fluid is always bright red colored. I however change the fluid every 10k miles or less and throw in a new external filter. my next thing is to either put a fan on the tranny cooler or move it to the front of the car where it gets real air flow. The filter I mounted is located directly below the battery on the frame that supports the front bumper. There is a space there that fits the large PH8 filter and the hoses runs are very short to the tranny and the cooler.

Last edited by thomas1; 03-28-08 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Filter Prices