RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Your MPG/MPH #'s on display

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 05:54 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your MPG/MPH #'s on display

If you reset both of the avarage MPG's and average MPH's at fillup, What are your #'s on both when tank is nearly empty?

My average so far on my second tankful is 12.9 MPG at 14.8 MPH. Tank is about half way now, so I'll see what the new numbers will be when the fuel light comes on.
Old 04-03-08, 07:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,097 Likes on 987 Posts

The numbers have nothing to do with gas remaining or the next time you fill.

These numbers are calculated from the "last reset" and are running totals. The longer you drive the average becomes more stable.

Salim
Old 04-04-08, 06:37 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
The numbers have nothing to do with gas remaining or the next time you fill.

Salim

I don't want to know how much fuel I have left in the tank. I'm trying to figure out how some guys are claiming 17-19 mpg's city driving and I'm only getting around 13.

That is why I'm curious what is the average Miles Per Hour(average speed) that is getting them the higher Miles Per Gallon.

What is your current MPG's on the clock and at What average speed(MPH)?

I don't care what is left in the tank just trying to compare to what my two #'s on the display read, so if anyone has both of the #'s to compare and also say if it's an AWD or FWD?

Mine is: 1999 AWD 83,525 miles 12.9MPG @ 14.8 MPH

What is yours?
Old 04-04-08, 07:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

That does seem to be a very low mpg your getting.Have you figured it out manually,or just going by what the comp.is reading out? If so,try doing the mpg yourself,and see what it is then.Maybe even try pulling your neg. batt. terminal,to reset the engine ecm. ( I recommend buying a scanner to reset the ecm, or code reader) You can buy a mini code reader @ autozone,for around 60.00.That way you won`t get any hidden back door codes re;battery disconnect.
Old 04-04-08, 07:32 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
That does seem to be a very low mpg your getting.Have you figured it out manually,or just going by what the comp.is reading out? If so,try doing the mpg yourself,and see what it is then.Maybe even try pulling your neg. batt. terminal,to reset the engine ecm. ( I recommend buying a scanner to reset the ecm, or code reader) You can buy a mini code reader @ autozone,for around 60.00.That way you won`t get any hidden back door codes re;battery disconnect.
Thanks for the response. I don't know exactly what size fuel tank I have but I got it to go 221 miles on the first tankful since I got the RX. The computer is 12.9 @ 14.8MPH

I did the calculation based on 16 gallons of fuel and i'ts over 13 mpg but I don't know if the tank takes more fuel than 16. I'll pay closer attention at the pump next time to get the right fuel amount put in and I'll have the new total miles on this tankful. In fact, I'm still about half full so when I head out later with it I'm going to top it off to see some more #'s.

I'm not looking to get the miles of a hybrid but when this vehicle claims to get 19city and 24highway I should at least get close to the city average since I have done some highway mix.

First time toyota buyer and with all the hype I hear on commercials, the fuel economy isn't all what I expected. Love the truck but I bought it so I could rest my diesel from the high diesel prices and I'm getting the same mileage for nearly half of the interior room and I have 10X's trunk space with more power to move w/250. I drive this RX in the same manner as the 8,000+lb F250 and MPG's are the same in city.

I guess I'll have to give it more time than just a month, love the rest of the truck.
Old 04-04-08, 09:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Just curious,What octane fuel are you using?And is your air filter etc. in good shape?
Old 04-04-08, 09:53 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by 6.0PSD
Tank is about half way now, so I'll see what the new numbers will be when the fuel light comes on.

I'm not looking to get the miles of a hybrid but when this vehicle claims to get 19city and 24highway I should at least get close to the city average since I have done some highway mix.
The first statement lead me to believe you expect reset on near end of tank.
The second makes me think that there is a conceptual misunderstanding on how manufacturers come with the numbers (till 2009 models it was closed loop test with favorable conditions)

One of the pitfalls of net communication ....

MPG is so dependent on engine condition, driving style, terrain and traffic pattern. In city I average 18.5 with FWD. Your milage may vary.

Salim
Old 04-04-08, 11:21 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
Just curious,What octane fuel are you using?And is your air filter etc. in good shape?
93 octane and air filter is not too dirty but I am planning on changing that this weekend to see if it does give me an extra mile or two. I have checked MAF sensor and it was new but I sprayed it anyway.

One more thing I want to get out of the way is installing a new fuel filter. First need to find out where it's located on the 99's

I want to try one step at a time just so that I can see if a difference occurs.

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 04-04-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 11:34 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
The first statement lead me to believe you expect reset on near end of tank.

Sorry on that misunderstanding, What I was trying to say is resetting both MPG/MPH while you are fueling up(topping off tank) so that you can get a computer average on that tankfull.

The second makes me think that there is a conceptual misunderstanding on how manufacturers come with the numbers (till 2009 models it was closed loop test with favorable conditions)

So the 19city/24highway advertised is just #'s so that people will buy vehicle.

One of the pitfalls of net communication ....

MPG is so dependent on engine condition, driving style, terrain and traffic pattern. In city I average 18.5 with FWD. Your milage may vary.

Is this 18.5 on the computer display or hand calculated? What #'s does your display have for the MPH?

Salim
FWD has slightly better economy than AWD but 5 MPG is a little much, that is why I wonder what is your average city speed on the display. Your average MPH is probably 30 and mine is 14.4(now)I'm just curious on the difference.

I have questions that are mixed into the above shaded QUOTE. I thought they would show up white and black with the quote in shade

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 04-04-08 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 11:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

As far as the fuel filter,don`t bother. this vehicle does not have a conventional fuel filter.It`s down in the gas tank,on the fuel pump.And unless your up for an almost all day pain in the butt job,Let it alone.Lexus must have wanted to keep this dept. Maintenance free.
Old 04-04-08, 12:03 PM
salimshah

I think the average mph is around 25mph (25.6). confirmed and edited.

I still think inferring the milage from average MPH is not the right thing to do. I would look at the changing mpg to determine the correlation between your driving style and mpg. How one steps on the gas pedal makes a lot of difference.

Also check the air filter, tire inflation level, free coasting and finally the O2 sensor [with age they give lower voltage signal to the ecu and you end up running a little rich].

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-04-08 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 02:51 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is: 2001 AWD 127,000 miles 18.9 MPG @ 26.5 MPH on 87 octane. The car rarely goes on a highway. If I paid for unnecessary premium, it would be like getting 2 MPG less.
Old 04-04-08, 03:41 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Currently 19.5mpg @ 25.2mph. 116K 2000 Awd.
Reset every tank full.
Old 04-04-08, 08:25 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Thanks for those #'s everyone.

It looks like my city driving is alot slower than some of you so it definately makes a difference on MPG's. I must stay idling too much or too many lights in this cramped Jersey state. I'm still curious if there is someone's RX out there averaging 14/15 MPH just to see how it compares to mine on the MPG's.

I can't believe that lexus trusts our fuel enough not to put in a serviceable fuel filter. I have owned several vehicles and all have/had fuel filter. And I really don't or will not pull the tank to change a filter.

I will be changing air filter tomorrow and I'll look into the o2 sensor in the near future. I'm going to take it one at a time to see if there is a difference on each changed part.

One thing I still have to check is the tire pressure. I'll check that tomorrow. I think I read somewhere here that it's 30 psi, I'll look it up on the truck.

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 04-04-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 08:30 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

16.9mpg and like 20mph... but the mph is totally irrelevant to any comparison that you are trying to get because it is all depending on how fast some one drives, obviously. but I get 16 mpg and I hardly use my a/c down here in FL.. it sucks and i want a new car haha

Quick Reply: Your MPG/MPH #'s on display