RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Recalibrate? please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 09:07 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recalibrate? please advise...

for 2001-2003 rx300 i believe they came factory 16inch rims, if you were to upgrade to the 05 18 inch chrome factory or anything bigger then when the rx came on the specific car which was 16inch rims from factory for01-03 i was told you would have to recalibrate? because the mph and mileage will be slightly off is this true? how do you recalibrate? is there something in the market ?

Last edited by Lil4X; 04-03-08 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Un-bolded text
Old 04-03-08, 10:55 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by archangels
for 2001-2003 rx300 i believe they came factory 16inch rims, if you were to upgrade to the 05 18 inch chrome factory or anything bigger then when the rx came on the specific car which was 16inch rims from factory for01-03 i was told you would have to recalibrate? because the mph and mileage will be slightly off is this true? how do you recalibrate? is there something in the market ?
My understanding is that the factory provided rims, do not need calibration as the sidewall size makes up the difference. In other words, the tire diameter/circumference remains the same. That is also the reason why there are no clearance/rubbing issues with either factory provided wheel sizes.

Salim
Old 04-18-08, 10:33 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default recalibrate?

[/B]I read the owners Manuel and said if you upgrade rims from factory size your calibration will be off, handling and comfort levels will not be as smooth and etc, when i bought my rx300 i had some chrome peelings on my rim so was wondering to buy new ones then suddenly i was thinking of buying the new style chrome ones on the rx330 and 350 but was wondering if those new style ones where calibrated to that specific new style and comfort levels and etc, does folks in this forum have pics of there after market rims and was calibration off is there anything in the market that ca recalibrate upgraded rims correctly thanks, also any pics of your upgraded rims would benice, as when taxes come again might consider depending on advices i recieve thanks[/B]
Old 04-18-08, 05:11 PM
salimshah

As long as the diameter of the tire (lets not get into the difference due to tire pressure) is the same, your mph/odo-reading will be as exact as your OEM set-up.

The give of the rubber tires change with quality of tire and the height of the sidewall (rim to outer dia of the tire). The give in the rubber makes a difference in ride comfort and handling. You have to give up the comfort for more precise handling.

Now the fitment:

Rims: Trade uses terms that signify the number of holes, hole pattern, distance form center. Then you need clearance from the static part of the wheel assembly [rotors/calipers]. Rim size tells you the inner diameter of the tires that go on them. [constitution: Alloy, steel etc. Appearance: Spokes etc]

Tires: Since you are not going to ride on the rims, you can choose different profile [sidewall height ... just keep in mind your calibration will be off if you go over or under the OEM tire dia].

Lexus seats (shocks + springs) are cushy, so you can go with lower profile tires without getting the ride too harsh.

Looks and feel are so subjective, so make you own choice.

Salim

PS: I dont think there is anything available to re-calibrate. On board computer has it as a permanently stored program.

Last edited by salimshah; 04-18-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 11:30 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default 16 inch rx 300 rim vs. 18 inch new version rx rim?

i called lexus today about recalibration tey said if you slap on their new version 18 inch rim it will not mess up calibration ? from swapping oem 16inch to oem 18inch rim from lexus? then another person stated where i live dsaid if you buy a bigger rim with smaller tire diameter you will be ok, then i asked another said you sacrifice everything if you go bigger period thanks my chromes chipping and i want to know my options or i might just stick to these and ride it out until no good? thanks
Old 04-24-08, 12:26 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a tire size calculator to determine mph/odometer accuracy for different size tires. Of course once you achieve speedometer accuracy you still have to consider fit and handling.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 04-24-08, 12:46 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by archangels
i called lexus today about recalibration tey said if you slap on their new version 18 inch rim it will not mess up calibration ? from swapping oem 16inch to oem 18inch rim from lexus? then another person stated where i live dsaid if you buy a bigger rim with smaller tire diameter you will be ok, then i asked another said you sacrifice everything if you go bigger period thanks my chromes chipping and i want to know my options or i might just stick to these and ride it out until no good? thanks
Now that the concept is with you, you don't sacrifice every thing.
The floatiness (ride softness) is given up for more precise handling. (++)
Looks change (+/- depends upon your perspective)
You are parting money for new rims+tires ... I would say give it a serious thought.

Salim
Old 04-24-08, 02:59 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Now that the concept is with you, you don't sacrifice every thing.
The floatiness (ride softness) is given up for more precise handling. (++)
Looks change (+/- depends upon your perspective)
You are parting money for new rims+tires ... I would say give it a serious thought.

Salim
true i like the softness these offer, what are my options, buy same ones,buy another rim to same size? or just leave it ride it out till all chrome goes out? thanks salim , i saw that rx330 5 star chrome today look nice, thanks