RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust upgrade for rx300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 10:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I got a muffler yesterday that sounds outstanding, will post this afternoon. However, it was locally made.
Old 04-06-08, 06:04 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, for 1800 pesos you should ship me one LEX!

arch- I personally don't like the magnaflows or borlas. I want a tuner exhaust on my rx aka greddy/injen/hks. its all about what you like... id rather have loud and annoying that magnaflow throaty... mine's pretty loud/annoying now, but it doesnt quite sound like a civic/rsx/supra (which is what i want)

it's all a matter of preference..
Old 04-07-08, 07:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

mini,did you remove the resonator ?
Old 04-08-08, 03:44 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, not yet.
Old 04-23-08, 03:27 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from tip to magnaflows?

Originally Posted by miniround
now I added a round tip that looks kind of liek cheungs muffler tip and had that for a while, but i had to upgrade. i will take pics tomorrow with my phone and upload them...
i had my tip for several days now looks nice but i need some sound to it is magna flows going to be loud i like loud mufflers so i can hear the shift points with oem i can feel the shift points but wouldrather hear it from muffler, it just gives that better overall of listening and feeling the shift points, i might consider a magana flow if i have resonator in middle remmoved and do a cat back magnaflow im sure it would be louder but with the resonator im sure its more humble, i heard the resonator in middle is olny to quiet the oem muffler is this true? what size is oem piping? is it bigger or smaaler then 2 1/4 diameter? thanks
Old 04-24-08, 06:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The OEM muffler is 2.25 inch in and out and the resonator has a 2 inch diameter. The problem here is that unless you increase the size of the exhaust piping from the resonator to the muffler, you won't get much of any gain unless you use a direct flow muffler like a magnaflow. I think the OEM piping from resonator to muffler is about 2 inches in diameter.

That resonator only helps quiet the muffler to a point, but more so eliminate some of the funny rasps and notes that would come out without the resonator (or without a very restrictive muffler).

If you run a direct flow muffler like a Magnaflow and run without the resonator you could be in for some funny sounds coming out of that muffler. Will be louder, but the precats and OEM cat do act as a muffler in and of themselves.
Old 04-24-08, 06:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

What do you guys think of this muffler? http://www.luxurymods.com
go to RX,1st generation,hit exhaust systems.
Old 04-24-08, 06:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

http://www.luxurymods.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=337

That probably won't sound too bad. I had an APC Intimidator muffler shaped like that one and it gave a roar a bit lower than that of a Porsche 911 at wide open throttle.

As far as hp increase, you would probably see double digits, maybe 12 hp max, but definitely not 20.
Old 04-24-08, 06:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

The thing is Lex,If I put this on my RX,and it`s too loud,my wife would kill me.She would say something like,are you in your second child hood or something?Of course i have edited this.
Old 04-24-08, 09:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

That muffler would be tame compared to the workings I have done on my RX. Never had an issue when I had the APC muffler on there which was of similar design. Keep in mind that losing that restriction on the back end helps gas mileage as well.
Old 04-24-08, 10:18 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default thermal research and devolment vs. magnaflow?

has anyone tried thermal research and development exhausts? i was debating thermal vs. magnaflow both good companies , i forsure know for a fact thermal was a very popular universal exhaust back in the days known to be loud deep tone it was one of the best mufflers back in the days but not quite sure on the market competition, any folks out there tried a thermal forsure you can feel ains with this exhaust but i know magnaflow also is a good perfoming exhaust, as you said lexmex less restric saves more gas now im thinking and considering one do to gas prices and not only that i like to hear my rx shift and so i know how much to push down on the throttle, and its easier to hear how your motor and tranny function, with oem quiet hard to hear for the sounds especially if something malfunctions...
Old 04-24-08, 12:27 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The OEM muffler is 2.25 inch in and out and the resonator has a 2 inch diameter. The problem here is that unless you increase the size of the exhaust piping from the resonator to the muffler, you won't get much of any gain unless you use a direct flow muffler like a magnaflow. I think the OEM piping from resonator to muffler is about 2 inches in diameter.

That resonator only helps quiet the muffler to a point, but more so eliminate some of the funny rasps and notes that would come out without the resonator (or without a very restrictive muffler).

If you run a direct flow muffler like a Magnaflow and run without the resonator you could be in for some funny sounds coming out of that muffler. Will be louder, but the precats and OEM cat do act as a muffler in and of themselves.
lex mex how much gain if i buy that magnaflow universal fit with tip i might just go flange back to exhaust? does it roar , i talked to my neighbor he said i would ruin the lexus luxury if i added an exhaust just know it was a truck luxuy, but i am still conviced to upgrade to a better flow for gas savings and sound, if i just went 2 1/4 maganflow with there included tip like the pics earlier in this thread will i gain alot how much shound i expect i mean restriction to some point is good for torque i was told, i might use everything oem but add the flange back maganaflows will it roar and gain increase? if so kool, i have heard thermal exhaust gives a deep loud roar but was thinking of magnaflows since they added a tip already? i kinda like a loud deep roar
Old 04-25-08, 06:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I know of thermal research. Interesting designs and quieter than Magnaflow.

With Magnaflow direct flow, you are looking at about 12 hp on the top end in terms of gain. It does spring open the exhaust, because the OEM resonator is direct flow. The only other hindrances would be the precats and the cats, and they do a good job of keeping down the noise. I though the OEM sound was bad enough and most of the good sound actually came from the engine itself. The other one that has a good, but not deadly sound, is the Magnaflow 50 series.

With my system, I actually have an indirect system on both my resonator and my exhaust at the moment. I hope to get sometime today the exhaust video from behind my RX. However, I am going to modify that in the next few months with the APC 2 in 1 out for my resonator and probably that Kire muffler I have as my resonator now as my muffler. I am still getting great MPG even with hot weather at 23.5 and that is on 35 psi in the tires, which I will bump up to 39 psi today.
Old 04-25-08, 07:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus114
What do you guys think of this muffler? http://www.luxurymods.com
go to RX,1st generation,hit exhaust systems.
what`s nice about this muffler,is it`s a direct fit/bolt on set up.
Old 04-30-08, 05:21 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default magnaflow vs. borla vs thermal?

[B]when looking at magnaflows ,borla's and thermal websites which ones comes on top of the competion as all 3 are direct straight through exhast with added tips? evry website says improved gas mileage and etc benifits of there product, heres there website please give me your opinion as i think i will be purchasing one soon?

borla's universal muffler with tips:
http://borla.com/products/product_mu...oomer+Mufflers

magnaflows website:
http://magnaflow.com/02product/stree...n.x8in.%20Oval

thermal research and developments website no tips added however they offer some that you can weld on with there logo :
http://www.thermalrd.com/mufflers.htm
thanks

Last edited by archangels; 04-30-08 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade for rx300?