RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust upgrade for rx300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 05:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

You really can't go wrong on anyone. However, the Magnaflows would tend to be the loudest of the three.
Old 05-01-08, 12:06 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You really can't go wrong on anyone. However, the Magnaflows would tend to be the loudest of the three.
i ve heard borla before there pretty loud, so you think magnaflows are louder then borla's? i like them loud anyways
Old 05-01-08, 04:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

In general yes. Now, it would depend on the type of vehicle and the rest of the setup. But having known people back in Mexico at my track running the roughly the same setup on the same types of vehicles, I always saw Magnaflows as louder than Borlas. Borlas were kind of cost prohibitive for me, since they were WAY more expensive down there in proportion to that of Magnaflow, so having a Borla down there was usually greeted with awe .
Old 05-01-08, 12:39 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

In general yes. Now, it would depend on the type of vehicle and the rest of the setup. But having known people back in Mexico at my track running the roughly the same setup on the same types of vehicles, I always saw Magnaflows as louder than Borlas. Borlas were kind of cost prohibitive for me, since they were WAY more expensive down there in proportion to that of Magnaflow, so having a Borla down there was usually greeted with awe .
yeah borla vs magnaflow what a big price difference i might just go with maganaflow since corporate is close to my relatives if anything happens but i am going with flange back basically replacing oem with magnaflow with tip, will i notice a bigger noticable difference i think the factory pipe i will leave to keep my torque while gaining freeflow , i had many folks say it would look ridiculous to add a muffler on my rx just because its a luxury truck, i added a tip got good complements , but as other members stated they added tip later to upgade a magnaflow, i asked one folk why would it be funny if i added a magnaflow if they already complimented my tip, they said sound on a luxury thts why, now adays you see exhaust on any particular car .... so i guess i will add a magnaflow not unless any one knows a company that has a bolt on kit on the market?
Old 05-01-08, 01:18 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haha...have you seen the pics of my muffler?! it's hidden kind of, but i am still planning to throw a big can on the back from injen or hks haha. i really dont care how ridiculous it looks, i will like it..
Old 05-01-08, 04:48 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by archangels
yeah borla vs magnaflow what a big price difference i might just go with maganaflow since corporate is close to my relatives if anything happens but i am going with flange back basically replacing oem with magnaflow with tip, will i notice a bigger noticable difference i think the factory pipe i will leave to keep my torque while gaining freeflow , i had many folks say it would look ridiculous to add a muffler on my rx just because its a luxury truck, i added a tip got good complements , but as other members stated they added tip later to upgade a magnaflow, i asked one folk why would it be funny if i added a magnaflow if they already complimented my tip, they said sound on a luxury thts why, now adays you see exhaust on any particular car .... so i guess i will add a magnaflow not unless any one knows a company that has a bolt on kit on the market?
Some companies make axle-back exhausts specifically for the 1st gen RX,

Rod Millen Motorsport (Extremely rare, but TunedRX300 has one)
Blitz - Realize TT, full stainless steel canister and tip, I know someone who has one but I lost the pics.
Fujitsubo This is the muffler I wanted to get initially, but had a hell of time finding a way to get it to the United States from Japan. I've heard this on video and sounds great, low rumble and all engine sound at WOT, sport luxury fit.

And some other high end VIP companies, just check www.l-tunedparts.com However they are much more expensive than just doing a muffler and weld on, which will give you 95% of the same effect.

I went with Magnaflow because of the direct flow, it is louder than most aftermarket mufflers but it sounds good and fits a Lexus well and so long as you don't modify any other part of the exhaust system itself, it wont be loud enough for anyone to make remarks about it, unless they had something positive to say.

Last edited by tcheung87; 05-01-08 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Edit for spelling.
Old 05-01-08, 05:33 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tcheung87
Some companies make axle-back exhausts specifically for the 1st gen RX,

Rod Millen Motorsport (Extremely rare, but TunedRX300 has one)
Blitz - Realize TT, full stainless steel canister and tip, I know someone who has one but I lost the pics.
Fujitsubo This is the muffler I wanted to get initially, but had a hell of time finding a way to get it to the United States from Japan. I've heard this on video and sounds great, low rumble and all engine sound at WOT, sport luxury fit.

And some other high end VIP companies, just check www.l-tunedparts.com However they are much more expensive than just doing a muffler and weld on, which will give you 95% of the same effect.

I went with Magnaflow because of the direct flow, it is louder than most aftermarket mufflers but it sounds good and fits a Lexus well and so long as you don't modify any other part of the exhaust system itself, it wont be loud enough for anyone to make remarks about it, unless they had something positive to say.
yes i am looking to buy a direct flow muffler i have seen some on ebay that are universal mufflers like obx and apex or something im looking for loud straight through muff and leave factory piping so i keep torque but add abetter flows.... flange back would be a kool upgrade but most are quieter then magnaflow...tcheung87 when you going to put a sound clip i am seriously interested, i like borla's but as lexmex said more more money then magnaflow lexmex said magnaflows were louder and i saw how they made the inside of magnaflow muffs looks promising plus there corporate headquarters close to relatives if anything went wrong.
tcheung87 can you hear muffler sound in the cabin? if so thats what i am looking for when you can hear it in the cabin you know its louder outside lol

Last edited by archangels; 05-01-08 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 05:46 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i mean i can hear mine inside and i had a friend drive it for me so i can drive next to it outside... its extremely loud
Old 05-01-08, 06:21 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes i am looking to buy a direct flow muffler i have seen some on ebay that are universal mufflers like obx and apex or something im looking for loud straight through muff and leave factory piping so i keep torque but add abetter flows.... flange back would be a kool upgrade but most are quieter then magnaflow...tcheung87 when you going to put a sound clip i am seriously interested, i like borla's but as lexmex said more more money then magnaflow lexmex said magnaflows were louder and i saw how they made the inside of magnaflow muffs looks promising plus there corporate headquarters close to relatives if anything went wrong.
tcheung87 can you hear muffler sound in the cabin? if so thats what i am looking for when you can hear it in the cabin you know its louder outside lol
Yeah I can hear it in the cabin, it sounds like what the engine sounds like right now, but imagine that you had a volume **** for that and turned it up. It's not really noticiable until about 2800+ RPM you can hear your engine roar more and a more "vrooom" from the rear of the vehicle.
Old 05-01-08, 07:49 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tcheung87
Yeah I can hear it in the cabin, it sounds like what the engine sounds like right now, but imagine that you had a volume **** for that and turned it up. It's not really noticiable until about 2800+ RPM you can hear your engine roar more and a more "vrooom" from the rear of the vehicle.
sounds like a winner .... i am considering the one you bought. i got atracted to borlas 5 inch tip you think theres enough clearance to buy a borla with 5 inch welded tip? also i seen magnaflows freeflow cats are those good addition? how many cats in rx? maganaflow says 50 state carb legal with better flow... is this a good investment? i have not seen a flange back or complete exhaust system as loud as magnaflow i wished magnaflow made a flange bolt on version... easy swap instead of rewelding... i got a mustang mach1 that roars with borla's but switched to flowmaster, i noticed bigger gain with borla topend, flowmaster low to mids , i liked borlas gain but flowmasters sounds , sounds like a muscle car...
Old 05-01-08, 10:01 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniround
haha...have you seen the pics of my muffler?! it's hidden kind of, but i am still planning to throw a big can on the back from injen or hks haha. i really dont care how ridiculous it looks, i will like it..
i heard an universal exhaust hks and skunk2 they sounded very loud and nice and also look nice i heard some sound clips of magnaflow but it seemed to me for some reason skunk2 universal muffler and hks universal muffler were louder, heres a link to both:
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yFgjW6YT-sc
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lqZbH4NtjS0
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XiKUJSVOKnE
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OO_hGdZgos4
hks universal exhaust: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-cEVrlEKrsU
hks: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EgEvY3Vrvik
what you all think? i have seen on youtube many folks praticaly adding universal mufflers to all sorts of cars even if it don't look right but let me know what you think i was thinking hks or skunk2 universal or you think magnaflows are best? it seemed like hs and skunk2 were louder? but i know magnaflows to be a good product, advise me thanks
Old 05-02-08, 06:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Magnaflow would have a better sound than the skunk or HKS that I heard above. I can hear rasps in those exhausts. They may have set up the resonator differently to get that sound (thinner, perhaps a glasspack might have been used). As far as the Flowmaster, I only like the 50 series, 40 still can be quite loud, but can fit. They have a rather indirect design to them, but still good flow. The BMW muffler I have on the back now of my RX has a similar design to the Flowmaster.

I plan to realistically try to get my resonator changed out today (can't believe how cheap some of the mufflers I saw in the auto parts stores, they charge 3 to 4 times for the same exact mufflers in Mexico).

Since you are in California, I really wouldn't play around with the cats. There are 2 precats and one 1 main cat. The only vehicle that has a different configuration is mine (that I know of) and the 1st gen Toyota Solara (also a 1MZFE) for the ones not sold in CA, that don't have precats. As I have said before, I believe without precats, the A/F sensors last longer and have fewer errors. However, you are (if you live in the right counties) under smog testing. However, I will say that I passed back in Mexico City under my current system, and they also have a CA-style system on the emissions numbers (not to mention bad gas and high altitude, which made passing a PITA).
Old 05-02-08, 10:44 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Magnaflow would have a better sound than the skunk or HKS that I heard above. I can hear rasps in those exhausts. They may have set up the resonator differently to get that sound (thinner, perhaps a glasspack might have been used). As far as the Flowmaster, I only like the 50 series, 40 still can be quite loud, but can fit. They have a rather indirect design to them, but still good flow. The BMW muffler I have on the back now of my RX has a similar design to the Flowmaster.

I plan to realistically try to get my resonator changed out today (can't believe how cheap some of the mufflers I saw in the auto parts stores, they charge 3 to 4 times for the same exact mufflers in Mexico).

Since you are in California, I really wouldn't play around with the cats. There are 2 precats and one 1 main cat. The only vehicle that has a different configuration is mine (that I know of) and the 1st gen Toyota Solara (also a 1MZFE) for the ones not sold in CA, that don't have precats. As I have said before, I believe without precats, the A/F sensors last longer and have fewer errors. However, you are (if you live in the right counties) under smog testing. However, I will say that I passed back in Mexico City under my current system, and they also have a CA-style system on the emissions numbers (not to mention bad gas and high altitude, which made passing a PITA).
yeah those muffs were loud but i did hear that rasps sound i think thats very common with civics and most import designs, i just wanted to be different but i might as well go with magnaflows as their company has ivan stewart on their team and their company has been reputable for years i guess when you see many of the same muffs i guess you can see satisfacory due to folks having one and passing good advise to others , i am sure if something was not good you wouldn't recomend it to others, your right i did not think about that rasp i was more looking at that huge tip and loudness and for got to listen to that rasp sound does look like a glasspack, i like magnaflows design on ho they made it, i saw a magnaflow 1in 1 out and a 1in 2out design which one is best to overall? will both flow the same?
Old 05-02-08, 12:01 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniround
i mean i can hear mine inside and i had a friend drive it for me so i can drive next to it outside... its extremely loud
miniround can we get a sound clip of yours, the skunk2 and hks look nice as i wanted to be different from other rx but as lexmex said the sound would be better from magnaflows, if i added the other 2 it might sound raspy? so might go magnaflow, however i was drawn to borla's 5 inch tip, i always thought big tips looked nice, i saw on ebay apexi universal looked nice but too quiet for me
Old 05-02-08, 12:26 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

i heard an universal exhaust hks and skunk2 they sounded very loud and nice and also look nice i heard some sound clips of magnaflow but it seemed to me for some reason skunk2 universal muffler and hks universal muffler were louder, heres a link to both:
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yFgjW6YT-sc
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lqZbH4NtjS0
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XiKUJSVOKnE
skunk2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OO_hGdZgos4
hks universal exhaust: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-cEVrlEKrsU
hks: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EgEvY3Vrvik
what you all think? i have seen on youtube many folks praticaly adding universal mufflers to all sorts of cars even if it don't look right but let me know what you think i was thinking hks or skunk2 universal or you think magnaflows are best? it seemed like hs and skunk2 were louder? but i know magnaflows to be a good product, advise me thanks
heres thermals exhaust its loud:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SSIxoGyMDCI
thermal:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=omZ9JQs1Ev0
thermal:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FiGnZctdUvI
thermal:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IBjOgJEAEJQ
thermal:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WQxH2r3ss0s

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade for rx300?