RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust upgrade for rx300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 12:36 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard many magnaflows on you tube i think this is the one i will add soon, but i was wondering whats better flow 1out or 2 exit exhaust? is there a difference besides looks? will sound change or flows diffrent? also is it true the shape and size tip changes sound roars? love the roar on the magnaflows
wait hears one of borla's sound clip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j5aga-QMaTU
by the way lexmex i heard one of your exhaust on youtube there were many you had so i can't remember which one but i like the loud roar... you have a clip when you had magnaflows on?

Last edited by archangels; 05-02-08 at 12:41 PM. Reason: aded borla sound clip
Old 05-03-08, 06:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Better flow is 1 in 2 out, the oval mufflers tend to get a smoother roar, but I favor oval ones that have more height in the middle of the muffler rather than just having ovals on the side. Tips, depending on the design, can change the tone to a minor extent.

Incidentally, I bought an APC muffler, a 1 in 2 out, yesterday at Pep Boys for about $89 USD. Plan to convert it into a resonator and redo some of the piping after the current Kire resonator I have there now.

Now here comes my rant on a complementary point. Without naming names, I went to a well-known exhaust shop here in Bradenton, and they absolutely refused to do the work the way I wanted it. Rather they claimed they would only do a professional job. And when I asked if being 'professional' means charging me more money, he said think of it as an investment. Needless to say, he won't be getting my business or that for my buddy's Z06 anytime soon. Plan to check a few other shops. I tend to avoid the chain muffler shops as I had a history growing up a few times with friends being overcharged for what I would consider was shoddy work, because they would go to car shows, and aesthetics mattered to them.

In Mexico, I didn't care much, nor do I care much now. Aesthetics are nearly last on my list, though I try to do this whenever possible, but not when it would add $200 USD more to the price as would have been the case with the exhaust shop in question.
Old 05-03-08, 09:38 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Better flow is 1 in 2 out, the oval mufflers tend to get a smoother roar, but I favor oval ones that have more height in the middle of the muffler rather than just having ovals on the side. Tips, depending on the design, can change the tone to a minor extent.

Incidentally, I bought an APC muffler, a 1 in 2 out, yesterday at Pep Boys for about $89 USD. Plan to convert it into a resonator and redo some of the piping after the current Kire resonator I have there now.

Now here comes my rant on a complementary point. Without naming names, I went to a well-known exhaust shop here in Bradenton, and they absolutely refused to do the work the way I wanted it. Rather they claimed they would only do a professional job. And when I asked if being 'professional' means charging me more money, he said think of it as an investment. Needless to say, he won't be getting my business or that for my buddy's Z06 anytime soon. Plan to check a few other shops. I tend to avoid the chain muffler shops as I had a history growing up a few times with friends being overcharged for what I would consider was shoddy work, because they would go to car shows, and aesthetics mattered to them.

In Mexico, I didn't care much, nor do I care much now. Aesthetics are nearly last on my list, though I try to do this whenever possible, but not when it would add $200 USD more to the price as would have been the case with the exhaust shop in question.
ron the 1 in 2 out has a 2inch core and the 1in 1out has 2.50 core is there a difference? those 2out looks nice also i was drawn to them what questioned me was the diference on core size thanks
Old 05-03-08, 01:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

2 inch is fine there since it is 1 in 2 out and would be a direct flow as opposed to the OEM.
Old 05-04-08, 12:01 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Lexmex;3497203]2 inch is fine there since it is 1 in 2 out and would be a direct flow as opposed to the OEM.[is there any pics or diagram of our oem muffler? i am forsure buying a magnaflow , also i was surprised how big the resonator was looked 3feet long or bigger? is that just to quiet muffs? is it possible just to slap a magnaflow or something else smaller? /QUOTE]
Old 05-04-08, 06:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I took some pictures of the OEM stuff a while back in this thread, see starting at post 60, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=347169&page=4

I think the APC I am going to stick on there is a just a bit smaller than the stock resonator. Glasspacks can be done but I got a nasty rasp and set off car alarms when I did it about 3 years ago with that old Arvin muffler (2 in 2 out) and a glasspack. Flowmaster also makes some small mufflers (Pep Boys often sells them or can order them) that can fit in there and they are indirect but short enough and have good internals not to cause a commotion.

The resonator quiets down some of the high notes.
Old 05-04-08, 01:10 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

I took some pictures of the OEM stuff a while back in this thread, see starting at post 60, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=347169&page=4

I think the APC I am going to stick on there is a just a bit smaller than the stock resonator. Glasspacks can be done but I got a nasty rasp and set off car alarms when I did it about 3 years ago with that old Arvin muffler (2 in 2 out) and a glasspack. Flowmaster also makes some small mufflers (Pep Boys often sells them or can order them) that can fit in there and they are indirect but short enough and have good internals not to cause a commotion.

The resonator quiets down some of the high notes.
opk ron i will see i think i will buy a magnaflow not sure 1out or 2out? if loud enough i will leave resonator if not i will slap a 14 inch 1 out magnaflow in its place thanks buddy
Old 05-04-08, 02:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well, let's see if I can get this APC muffler on tomorrow as the new resonator (have 2 exhaust shops that could be possibilities) and then take an exhaust clip for youtube. I definitely plan to leave that big black muffler on the back for the time being.
Old 05-04-08, 11:42 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Well, let's see if I can get this APC muffler on tomorrow as the new resonator (have 2 exhaust shops that could be possibilities) and then take an exhaust clip for youtube. I definitely plan to leave that big black muffler on the back for the time being.
can't wait to heare your sound clip,.... i was driving home from walmart today and visualized what it would feel and sound like with magnaflows i got a little excited so i can't wait to add one but the problem i am having is determining if i should buy the 2 out or 1 out upgrade? will 2 benifit better then 1 out? besides core being bigger on 1 out? thanks exmex
Old 05-05-08, 12:17 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the apexi WS2 cat-back.
why? its straight through design(more power) AND is quiet.
Old 05-05-08, 01:35 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iKon_RX
get the apexi WS2 cat-back.
why? its straight through design(more power) AND is quiet.
i like it loud though... they make a cat back sytem for rx300?
Old 05-05-08, 06:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I remember they made this for the IS and it had the extension to the bolts for the exaust (so you didn't need to weld), but can't remember about it fitting the RX300. Issue I have with that exhaust (I have heard them before) is that they can get some raspy notes, though perhaps the RX300 1MZFE could pump a bit more power through than some of the smaller car engines I have heard. However, I only remember the WS2 being 1 in/1 out.

There is an Apexi exhaust out there that does fit the 2nd gen RX.

If you can get one of these two fit, less headaches and no welding.
Old 05-05-08, 05:30 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default Bought 1 Finally!!!

Originally Posted by tcheung87
I'm running a Magnaflow 14829. It has a smooth, throaty rumble at idle-low rpms and really opens up over the rev band. It's difficult for me to describe it but it more than not amplifies the engine tone so it doesn't sound ricey or raspy at all.
ok folks i finally bought a magnaflow 14829 like tcheung87 exactly same 125 dollars plus 3 dollars insured shipping came up to 128 dollars including shipping,hope and can't wait to recieve next week i will post exhaust sounds once installed... thanks folks on helping advise , if not loud enough i might consider swapping out resonator with a smaller magnaflow muffler freeflow
with just oem switched out will it sound at least this loud, not the rasp in video but the loudness, because that how loud i like my exhaust but with out rasps, tcheung87 if you could here this advise me because i like mine this loud, i am doing only oem swapout to magnaflow 18429, if its not that loud compared to the link what can i do to make it that loud or close to it, i have a k&n dropin replacement thats it.... thanks
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OO_hGdZgos4

Last edited by archangels; 05-06-08 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-16-08, 05:10 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default got one now!

i just slapped my new magnaflows like tcheungs (sorry if i spelled wrong) just oem to magnaflow replacement magnaflow 14829, ehen i first recieved i was amazed on the size of the tip it looked smaller in pictures but when i recieved it was amzingly huge better then i thought on appearence i had it installed for only 30 dollars i thought it would be louder, after installed i was at first diasapointed but i was revving engine i had no one to revv it for me so it sounded quiet from front, after i got home i had a family member rev it up and then i said ok now it sounds nice about 1k-3k rpms i was in back and it was amazingly louder than i thought i thought it was perfect sound loudness at first i was dissapointed i was supposed to go back to redo piping from 2inch oem to 2.25 from resonator back,
as at first muffler tech wanted me to take out resonator but i am sure it would be loud but , i was debating for several hours after then said i will give it one day, i decided to leave it alone i thought this muffler has a good sport luxury sound not too loud and not too quiet as long as i can hear some sound in the cabin i was happy, i found out that catback to flange is 2inch piping and flangeback was 2.25inch piping so that made me thin k of that 2.25piping to make things even but i decided not too as i love the oem torque, the kool thing is i gained more torque and hp and a drastic fuel mileage improvement that at times i would give a little throttle here and there and gas level did not go down so i knew after owning a less restrictive muffler i saved more fuel now the rx is more fun to drive, it was a very good investment that will pay itself out over time in gas savings..... love it ... thanks for advise also climbs better on mountains perfect product. oh also i was doing some research on after market intakes said owning one will drastically improve even more gas mileage? i will post new thread? i had fun driving that i think i drove 1hour and a half just cruising it listening to it ...? oh is it also true that magnaflows will get a little louder after time due to it being new the sound will get slightly ;louder after it adjust? thanks
i will post some pics maybe later tonight and hopefully add a sound clip
Old 05-16-08, 08:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The Magnaflow will be louder when you go through acceleration (where it is harder to hear it). Putting it in park and listening to it never quite worked for me (even those exhaust clips that I do on youtube.com don't do justice to how loud my system is), though my air intake is even louder.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade for rx300?