RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust upgrade for rx300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 09:03 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The Magnaflow will be louder when you go through acceleration (where it is harder to hear it). Putting it in park and listening to it never quite worked for me (even those exhaust clips that I do on youtube.com don't do justice to how loud my system is), though my air intake is even louder.
very happy with it, they said after awhile since its new it will slightly adjust and get a little louder is that true also adding intake sw will it get louder kinda excited on the combo made the rx more fun to drive... i was close to buying the dragon intake too , i like to buy it right once so bought an sw intake can't wait o test out
Old 05-18-08, 04:39 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default pics of magnaflow

pics of my magnaflows
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow1.jpg  
Old 05-18-08, 04:42 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default magnaflow

my exhaust upgrade saves fuel
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow2.jpg  
Old 05-18-08, 04:43 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default magnaflows pic

another pics
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow3.jpg  
Old 05-18-08, 04:44 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default magnaflow4

more pics kool
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow4.jpg  
Old 05-18-08, 04:46 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default magnaflow5

more awesome pics
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow5.jpg  
Old 05-18-08, 04:47 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default magnaflow6

more and more pics
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow7.jpg  
Old 05-18-08, 04:49 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default magnaflow7

moooreeeeeeeee pics
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow6.jpg  
Old 05-18-08, 04:51 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default last pics mgnaflow 8

last pics i will take pics of my ride sometime this week to show you... how it looks on it
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-magnaflow8.jpg  
Old 06-02-08, 10:15 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default thermal research and development exhaust what you think?

this is a sound clip of the thermal research and development exhaust sound clip what you think compared to magnaflow thanks
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6WMnmkGsBo4
also whats a drone? correct me if i am wrong but is it when muffler stays consistently loud at a certain mph such as 65mpg you could hear it in the cabin? thanks

Last edited by archangels; 06-02-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 07:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

That's not bad, but our engines will throw in a lot more sound down the pipe.

Drone is a hum that you can hear, usually in low mph. I've actually got that drone with the that APC muffler I am using as a resonator. But the drone/hum dissipates more so at higher mph. I am thinking of a future project involving a glasspack (actually two sets) to replace the current resonator so that it virtually will look like straight pipe underneath the vehicle after the cat and O2 sensor all the way to the BMW muffler that I have on there now.
Old 06-03-08, 07:51 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

That's not bad, but our engines will throw in a lot more sound down the pipe.

Drone is a hum that you can hear, usually in low mph. I've actually got that drone with the that APC muffler I am using as a resonator. But the drone/hum dissipates more so at higher mph. I am thinking of a future project involving a glasspack (actually two sets) to replace the current resonator so that it virtually will look like straight pipe underneath the vehicle after the cat and O2 sensor all the way to the BMW muffler that I have on there now.
this thermal muffler was always known to be loud and back in the days everyone was using them, you think this would be louder then my magnaflows? i was thinking maybe buying a thermal as a replacement of the magnaflows or slap it on the resonator? not sure yet that was the only video i could find that showed a good deep tone sound... also on magnaflows box the street version versus race version muffler looks like the street tuned has less holes inside that connects a second pipping going outwards, the race version has more holes but is definately 1 pipe straight through is there a big difference, i am assuming the race version would be more louder and better as its 1 pipe straight through what you think lex

Last edited by archangels; 06-03-08 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-03-08, 09:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I was taking a look at this Audi to get an even better idea, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieR9LAK2sCg

and that isn't bad. It appears with this more powerful engine that it cancels out a lot of the rasp/vibration I here on the less powerful vehicles. However, I am not sure exactly what kind of resonators are being run.

I am considering glasspacks for the moment for my next possible project, but have been looking at different options (won't be a muffler, but something long and thin).

Let me add something. Last week, the tire place I went to (got CrossTerrains again), had the stupidity (I won't mention their name since they fixed the problem) to lift the car by putting the mount underneath the resonator (it now as a dent). Problem is that it put enough force to crack open a section of pipe by the cat. The noise that came out I can only describe as something just lower of a motorcycle going by. And keeping in mind I just have one single cat, that will give you a good idea about as loud as the RX300 can get. That gave me the idea that I could strip out the APC muffler/resonator and ram in at least two glasspacks (thought about straightpipe, but I know from experience the glasspacks need to be in there to avoid rasp and/or shrill). However, this project won't be for a bit.
Old 06-03-08, 12:23 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

I was taking a look at this Audi to get an even better idea, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieR9LAK2sCg

and that isn't bad. It appears with this more powerful engine that it cancels out a lot of the rasp/vibration I here on the less powerful vehicles. However, I am not sure exactly what kind of resonators are being run.

I am considering glasspacks for the moment for my next possible project, but have been looking at different options (won't be a muffler, but something long and thin).

Let me add something. Last week, the tire place I went to (got CrossTerrains again), had the stupidity (I won't mention their name since they fixed the problem) to lift the car by putting the mount underneath the resonator (it now as a dent). Problem is that it put enough force to crack open a section of pipe by the cat. The noise that came out I can only describe as something just lower of a motorcycle going by. And keeping in mind I just have one single cat, that will give you a good idea about as loud as the RX300 can get. That gave me the idea that I could strip out the APC muffler/resonator and ram in at least two glasspacks (thought about straightpipe, but I know from experience the glasspacks need to be in there to avoid rasp and/or shrill). However, this project won't be for a bit.
i think thats a great idea lex.... OMG! sorry to hear that can't believe they did that to your apc muff i would be disapointed to, something dumb happened to my rx during speaker install i will take pics and do another thread since you brought it up you will see it was right when i barley bought it less then a month wait till you see the pics and installation was from a major company we all know who did install every time i turn my stereo on i get dissapointedi will show you today after noon as i take pics... thanks buddy ps... also i have seen that video what you think ? you think its louder then the magnaflows? thats how loud i wanted it like that video you sent... thermals where known to be nice at one point almost everybody where using thoseback in the days as they happen to move they stopped selling those but i found them on web search, i could leave resonator and slap one of these thermals as i know their product? what you think

also check this video out on stock everything besides a thermal mufflers on a dyno:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYExpl0Aaj8

i spoke with thermal company and they told me magnaflows would be slightly louder knowing thermal was known to be loud i was confused? leaving me to think i should have someone drive it so i can hear how loud it sounds going by me as i have never tried that yet and i will soon maybe i am satisfied but never heard how the magnaflows sounded when someone else drove... thanks lex oh also lex have you ever tried having no resonator and just a rear muff? if so was there a rasp? what was your experience if you tried just straight pipe on resonator and just rear exhaust and was it way too loud? thanks

Last edited by Lexmex; 06-04-08 at 06:00 AM. Reason: link corrected
Old 06-04-08, 06:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I haven't tried no resonator and just a muffler per se, but I have tried the following:

1. Large APC muffler (bigger than one now) as resonator...no muffler...just straight pipe out back. Was actually not as loud as most of my exhaust setups, but a loud hum
2. The twin in/out Arvin muffler that was on for so long on my RX on the back and a single glasspack resonator. This was tried for exactly one day before we went to a larger oval resonator. With this glasspack set up, it had a sharp high note that set off car alarms everywhere, very loud, but then again the muffler was very small and direct, not like that big BMW one I have now that is larger than OEM.

Only problem I see with above exhausts, and they sound okay otherwise, is that the resonator is giving some hesitation notes...means the sound is not smooth but has some chatter to it, rather than a low hum, which is usual to most OEM setups. Mine doesn't have the chatter, but that one setup I mentioned with the glasspack had exactly that. Think of a series of rapid, sorry for the analogy, consecutive farts at low volume and you'll get the idea.