RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust upgrade for rx300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 09:12 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrade for rx300?

Has anyone put or thought of upgrading there factory exhaust to a better sound or atc? if so pics and info of whats out there in the marketplace for these, i was thinking about it but wanted advise as i like to hear my engine shifting gears and its more fun for me to hear exhaust sound with out one sounds too quiet, but let alone having a lexus is luxury so i was trying to get used to it being quiet... only thing i saw in the market was magnaflow for these but thats just the muffler not piping... thanks if you know any product on the market let me know or if you have an after market on let me know thanks

Last edited by Lil4X; 04-03-08 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Un-bolded text
Old 04-03-08, 11:01 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Only advice I can give you is ... do not make a decision based on looks only. You need to sit in the vehicle and drive or be driven in it for a bit. There is a drone that sets up [based on cabin size and engine rpm etc ... so it should be an Rx with the exhaust].

Invest in high quality Stainless steel ones and not just loud sounding coffee can at the end of the pipe.

Salim
Old 04-03-08, 11:22 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up Lexmex's threads on his custom exhausts. He has changed his exhaust setup multiple times.
Old 04-04-08, 03:41 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running a Magnaflow 14829. It has a smooth, throaty rumble at idle-low rpms and really opens up over the rev band. It's difficult for me to describe it but it more than not amplifies the engine tone so it doesn't sound ricey or raspy at all.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrade for rx300?-roll.jpg  
Old 04-04-08, 03:47 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

I second that you should read Lexmex's threads on exhaust. I will try to search some up for you later because it's 4AM in the morning and I'm heading to bed. But glad to have another RX modder here.

Better pic.

Old 04-04-08, 09:54 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tcheung87
I'm running a Magnaflow 14829. It has a smooth, throaty rumble at idle-low rpms and really opens up over the rev band. It's difficult for me to describe it but it more than not amplifies the engine tone so it doesn't sound ricey or raspy at all.
did it come with a complete pipe and muffler bolt on kit? or just muffler and you had to buy piping separate? i was told if you upgrade exhaust you could save gas plus nice sound and etc. is it true? where you buy it and how much thanks
Old 04-04-08, 09:58 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tcheung87
I second that you should read Lexmex's threads on exhaust. I will try to search some up for you later because it's 4AM in the morning and I'm heading to bed. But glad to have another RX modder here.

Better pic.

what else is on the market for these? any sway bars? and etc.
Old 04-04-08, 01:29 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by archangels
did it come with a complete pipe and muffler bolt on kit? or just muffler and you had to buy piping separate? i was told if you upgrade exhaust you could save gas plus nice sound and etc. is it true? where you buy it and how much thanks

It's a universal muffler piece by Magnaflow. I just bought the muffler and had a shop replace the stock one. They cut off the stock exhaust after the flange near the rear-differential so it is essentially an axle-back exhaust.

Theoretically a less-restrictive exhaust will save you gas but that really depends on your driving style, driving responsibly will save you more gas than getting an exhaust.

The sound is a definite plus, it suits a Lexus pretty well. Low and relatively quiet rumble at cruise and idle and really let's loose when you want to.

I purchased it from www.hottexhaust.com PM me for more info.
Old 04-04-08, 01:46 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Cant emphasize enough on the testing it out personally. Not everything sounds the same to every one.

Two examples that I will list ..

1. My wife hates the Ltuned exhaust I put in her GS4. Rest of the family likes it.

2. My friend ordered exhaust for his Corvette based on reviews and recommendations (without testing it first hand ... also against my advice). I installed the exhaust for him. He was exited for few days but soon got tired and annoyed that he wanted it out. Luckily there was no cut and weld so the uninstall was not too bad.

So test it out. Also the savings in gas and increased horsepower are drop in the bucket. You may get the same advantages by keeping the owner's manual at home [just a dig at the thick manual ... you should keep it in the glove compartment].

Salim
Old 04-04-08, 06:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Look up Lexmex's threads on his custom exhausts. He has changed his exhaust setup multiple times.
Muchas gracias. Tomorrow, we will be doing one final exhaust modification in Mexico, so stay tuned.
Old 04-04-08, 08:32 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some no-name muffler welded in place of the old one and i love the sound.
Old 04-05-08, 09:11 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniround
I have some no-name muffler welded in place of the old one and i love the sound.
you have pics? i'm just about to just add a screw on tip? someone told me these are known as luxury and adding exhaust will not look right? so i might just put a screw on tip? thanks
Old 04-05-08, 11:08 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by archangels
you have pics? i'm just about to just add a screw on tip? someone told me these are known as luxury and adding exhaust will not look right? so i might just put a screw on tip? thanks
Depends on what the exhaust tip looks like. In my opinion it adds a nice touch with a shiny tip but retains that stock look and quiet. Try not to over-worry about what others think and say, just use it as advice. What I mean is do what makes you happy. Like the tip and not crazy about making more noise, then go for it.

Last edited by tcheung87; 04-05-08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 11:30 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

now I added a round tip that looks kind of liek cheungs muffler tip and had that for a while, but i had to upgrade. i will take pics tomorrow with my phone and upload them...
Old 04-06-08, 12:24 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniround
now I added a round tip that looks kind of liek cheungs muffler tip and had that for a while, but i had to upgrade. i will take pics tomorrow with my phone and upload them...
kool i wanted to slap on a magnaflow with 4-5 inch tip i noticed when i here the exhaust i drive better, i know estimated speed im going, not boring, i have to have either music load or exhaust loud or both especially long journeys to experience the joyment of the rx300... is there any other kool things on the market thats complete piping bolt on or whats options on rx300 besides magnaflow for some reason i like them loud? i think borla has a universal muffler? i just bought some kool angel eyes and my bro inlaw put them on the rx looks sweet with them on.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade for rx300?