RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Advice on timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 08:15 PM
ravengotu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on timing belt

How hard is a timing belt replacement....I am getting near the 90k and would rather do it myself...What do you think and how hard is it?

Thanks
Old 04-04-08, 09:00 PM
salimshah

Received 1,079 Likes on 971 Posts

Try the search.

IN summary doable.

Cheaper alternative is to check with Toyota or independent mechanic.

I recommend look at the risk and pain-vs-gain. TBelt is pain-vs-gain issue and on a transverse mounted for me it too painful.

Salim
Old 04-04-08, 09:31 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Suggest getting a Haynes manual from your local toyota dealership on the Highlander/RX300. They have the procedure. The timing is critical with the Variable valve timing on this engine. Should be not too bad if you follow it carefully.
Old 04-05-08, 12:22 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Timing belt

[QUOTE=ravengotu;3420343]How hard is a timing belt replacement....I am getting near the 90k and would rather do it myself...What do you think and how hard is it?

Hi ravengotu- It's a little tough with the engine in the car- pretty close to the frame rail. I changed it in my DIL's 99RX but I removed the entire front drive and suspension as a unit because I was changing the rear main seal also.
How much mechanical experience do you have? Do you have all the tools necessary for the job? If the answer to both of those q's in on the plus side it is doable- but not a job for a beginner. I realize Lexus recommends it be changed at 90k but if I were you I would pull the cover and take a peek at it 1st. I don't think you have to pull the cover off- just loose so you can pull it back enough to get a look at the belt. I was astonished at the condition of my DIL's at 97k- there was NO cracking or wear evident at that point and I felt it could have easily have gone another 30-40k. In fact I have read of people who gone as high as 150k before changing without any problem at all. I can believe it from the condition of the belt that I changed at 97k. The original belt is made by Mitsuboshi (not i, but o), and is quite a belt. They can be purchased online for as little as $30. and I would stick with the original man.. They are an interference engine so the choice is yours as to when you change it but I would have had no problem going another 25-35k
had I known the orig. was in such good shape. (looked like it had 20k on it and I know it was the orig.) Good Luck- Roger
Old 04-05-08, 11:01 AM
ravengotu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My problem

Is I live about 45 miles from a Lexus dealer. Toyota is around 12. Toyota does not want to do it as it is a Lexus.....

Crazy huh....

So this is why I thought to go it...But for sure dont want to screw it up......

I dont have a wide selection of tools..so will see about a peek...... thanks so much
Old 04-05-08, 11:34 AM
salimshah

Received 1,079 Likes on 971 Posts

The 90K replacement is for "zero failure" ... I suggest against just the visual as physical appearance is just one factor.

The whole train needs to be looked at. My idlers had turned blue due to lack of lubrication (they are lubed for life .. I guess the life was over).

Lexus/Toyota has been hashed in another thread.

Salim
Old 04-05-08, 09:59 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

There's a local Toyota by me that does offer $250 for T-belt replacement on any V6 including belt.
I asked if they would work on an RX and they gladly accept. Times are tough and their mechanics said they'll do it.
It's just like a Sienna/Highlander/Camry etc...

As for DIY.
If you have no mechanical experience whatsoever. It's going to be a challenge. Not saying it's impossible though.
You might end up paying more than saving.
Old 04-05-08, 11:05 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ravengotu
Is I live about 45 miles from a Lexus dealer. Toyota is around 12. Toyota does not want to do it as it is a Lexus.....

Crazy huh....

So this is why I thought to go it...But for sure dont want to screw it up......

I dont have a wide selection of tools..so will see about a peek...... thanks so much
Dont know where you are in California, But Maita Toyota in Sacramento did mine and for half the price of the Lexus dealership. I had them do the waterpump also since it is driven by the timing belt. Wish I had done the idlers also, hopefully they will make it till the next change.
Old 04-05-08, 11:36 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nad1370
There's a local Toyota by me that does offer $250 for T-belt replacement on any V6 including belt.
I asked if they would work on an RX and they gladly accept. Times are tough and their mechanics said they'll do it.
It's just like a Sienna/Highlander/Camry etc...

As for DIY.
If you have no mechanical experience whatsoever. It's going to be a challenge. Not saying it's impossible though.
You might end up paying more than saving.
I totally agree, if you could find a Toyota dealer to do it For $250.-- w/ original eq. belt I would definitely have it done rather than doing it myself. I realize the 90k recommendation is "0 failure" driven. I never recommend stretching recommended replacement times if $ are 0 problem. For most Lexus owners that may be the case but not always. I am more cautious on an interference engine than on a non. It's just that I have never seen a timing belt in that kind of condition at 97k. I worked with a guy who broke his t/b coming into work 1 morning. He drove a Ford Ranger that he had purchased new and the speedometer had broken at 185k so he didn't know how many miles it had on it. He had never replaced the belt (didn't know it had 1 on it) and Ford recommended replacement at 60k!!! I DO NOT recommend that but he was fortunate that it was non-interference.