RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Vsc Vehicle Skid Control Light On?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 07:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

It's not bad like the car's going to blow up. This is purely emissions. Usually, this amounts to either a bad fuel cap or a charcoal canister (inside the big black square thing underneath the rear of the vehicle) in the cases I have seen. You can still drive around on this, but I would take it back and have them fix this under the warranty, because it can cost several hundred just to track down (the biggest problem) and repair the issue.
Old 05-19-08, 10:27 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kasak
Bought a 2003 RX 300 AWD with 51K miles from a BMW dealer for $17,300. Drove back home and next day went for shopping. The VSC and CEL light turned on. I haven't driven bad or anything.
I would be surprised if a reputed auhtorised BMW dealer would try to sell by just resetting so that the lights won't come on during test drive or sale.
Went to Autozone as suggested in this thread and got the codes - theer were 6 codes but the autozone guy said it comes to these 2 codes as the others were same or something.

P0442 - The PCM has determined that a small leak exists in the evaporative emission control system
Defintion - EVAP (evaporative emission system) small leak/no flow condition
Explanation - The evaporative emission system is monitored
Probable Causes -
1. Defective or loose fuel cap
2. EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
4 . Vaccum leak at engine

P0446 - The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent control in the evaporative emission control system.
Defintion - EVAP (evaporative emission system) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition
Explanation - The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts
Probable Causes -
1. Purge or vent solenoids defective
2. Check connector and wiring
3. Fuel saturated vapor canister
4 . Failed EVAP vent solenoid

So, experts, can you please tell me how bad is this? They gave a 3mon /3000mi limited warranty.
take it back, i bought mine day before easter sunday, 30 miles after driving home from sale of the dealership i had vsc and cel light come on, dealership was not lexus i bought from, they said it was a fuel cap error just retighten, 50 miles of driving it will go away, i am sure they reset it also when i test drived,because i even left message for sales manager never called me back i guess he figured ok i have a 3month or 3,000 mile warranty they won't call so your warranty will run out, also that must of been the reason why it was the cheapest on the market, the sales person said it was in the market for a long time, but all i had to do was lexmex procedure on sticky, was a dirty iacv sensor sprayed that thing good and i was in heaven.... so after all i bought an amzing rx at a very good price, which had a very minor maintenece issue, i bought mine i think (let me think i have a headache right now) i believe $13,999 but with tax and licence about $15,200 and only had 66,000 miles this was amazingly way below market couldn't understand why it went low , before i bought i saw a window sticker saying $16,999 so i got lucky right before easter sunday and bought one, if it weren't for a good tax return refund i today would not have this, as i needed money to buy this, i missed one opportunity last time at $15,200 this other fellah had heated seats navigation system basically everything, hope everything works well for you, oh and also i tried resetting but came on everyday from day 1 since i bought but after doing maintainece sticky that lexmex taught actually saved me a fortune, it used to bother me and spook me when it came on because i knew i could buy one of these but could i afford to own one? lots of great tips from lexmex and others cut costs drastically 50% without there help i don't know where i would be, i would be lost confused, pissing in my pants trying to figure whats going on and ow much things would costs and etc, because i know i could purcahse a used rx not new and as of owning one i try to do step by step maintenece to try to be up to date so i don't have to worry about anything, i like to know that if i replace a maintence part i wouldn't have to worry about maintence on that part forawhile..... so can't wait till tax return again at end of year going to do lots of maintence...

Last edited by archangels; 05-19-08 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-21-08, 01:54 PM
jocmarsh
Driver School Candidate

Hi folks. well I took my car to AutoZone as the lights (VSC and CEL) came on again. They read the codes and here is the result.
Troubleshooting p0155
OEM Brand: Domestic

HO2S 21 Heater Condition (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 10

Explanation
The powertrain control module monitors the oxygen sensor heater. The computer has recognized a failure in this circuit.

Probable causes:
1. -Oxygen sensor defectife
2. -Poor connection at oxygen sensor
3. Check circuit fuse.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Troubleshooting P0155
OEM Brand: OBDII

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the heater circuit for oxgen sensor 1 in bank 2.
(oxygen sensor 1 is closest to tthe cylinder head before the catalytic converter. Whilte oxygen sensors 2 & 3 are located further downstream and are typically mounted in or after the catalytic converter) (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1 , while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is the information I have right now. The lights don't come on right away after they have been reset. Usually the next day or after I have been driving for an hour or so. From the pictures of the sensor, it looks like the leads don't go to a connector. Are they spliced in or how are they attached? I haven't located the sensor yet. I thought I could at least check the connections as indicated on the readout. Also, any idea of which fuse they could be referring to? If I have a Toyota dealer replace the sensor do you have any idea what it would cost for the sensor and the labor to replace it?

Thanks again, for your help :-)
Old 05-21-08, 01:57 PM
jocmarsh
Driver School Candidate

P.S. Sorry for the typos. Obviously that should have read Bank 2 Sensor 1.
Old 05-21-08, 03:06 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jocmarsh
Hi folks. well I took my car to AutoZone as the lights (VSC and CEL) came on again. They read the codes and here is the result.
Troubleshooting p0155
OEM Brand: Domestic

HO2S 21 Heater Condition (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 10

Explanation
The powertrain control module monitors the oxygen sensor heater. The computer has recognized a failure in this circuit.

Probable causes:
1. -Oxygen sensor defectife
2. -Poor connection at oxygen sensor
3. Check circuit fuse.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Troubleshooting P0155
OEM Brand: OBDII

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the heater circuit for oxgen sensor 1 in bank 2.
(oxygen sensor 1 is closest to tthe cylinder head before the catalytic converter. Whilte oxygen sensors 2 & 3 are located further downstream and are typically mounted in or after the catalytic converter) (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1 , while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is the information I have right now. The lights don't come on right away after they have been reset. Usually the next day or after I have been driving for an hour or so. From the pictures of the sensor, it looks like the leads don't go to a connector. Are they spliced in or how are they attached? I haven't located the sensor yet. I thought I could at least check the connections as indicated on the readout. Also, any idea of which fuse they could be referring to? If I have a Toyota dealer replace the sensor do you have any idea what it would cost for the sensor and the labor to replace it?

Thanks again, for your help :-)
ask lexmex he's the enthusiast of lexus knows alot about these vehicles he is a genius like bill gates...
Old 05-22-08, 06:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is the sensor right on the front of the engine block. Do a search in the this forum for code P1155 and that will lead you in the right direction. Generally, when you get this code, the sensor does need replacing. You can have a mechanic with a more advanced scanner verify you are getting readings off of this bank. The good part of this is that the other sensor is behind the engine block, but not this one. The fuse just means looking for a short circuit, there's no magic fuse. There is a connector for the other end of the sensor. I don't think I have good picture of this for this particular sensor.
Old 05-22-08, 01:20 PM
kasak
Rookie

WOHOOO.. I think I did my first hands on repair with the info from this forum. I checked fuel cap and tried to reset by taking the fuse out and the fuse didn't come with ignition as suggested by lexmex. Later I searched more in this forum for P0442 and P0446 errors and noticed some mention about the disconnected pipe/hose behind the airfilter box. And yes, that is right, the hose is disconnected. The disconnect location behind airfilter box is not easily reachable. Noticed that the clip on the rubber hose from airfilter box connecting to a metal pipe is not tight enough and they are disconnected. Tightened the clip and then connected the pipes. Started engine again and still the CEL and VSC are on. Then I thought I have to reset them. This time I was successful in pulling the fuse with the ignition key (have to support the key rfom underneath and pop the fuse out; it will come out smoothly - check lexmex post with the diagram to see which fuse). Put that back in. I haven't driven yet but started engine and the lights are gone. I hope the disconnected pipe is the main issue here and after some driving the lights won't come again. If they come again I will post here. If not assume that, that did it. Thank you all and thank you lexmex.
I really hope that those pipes are the right ones to connect .
Old 05-23-08, 09:37 AM
kasak
Rookie

$7 worth gas so far (30mi) and the light didn't come on. I think we will watch our miles if we mention them in terms of gas money spent .
Old 05-27-08, 11:45 AM
jocmarsh
Driver School Candidate

Much to my surprise, the VSC and CE lights went out without my resetting them. Just completed a 200 mile trip and several days without lights coming back on. (Keeping fingers crossed). Mileage is decent (19+ mpg). I was wrong, the sensor we are talking about does have a connector and I was tempted to clean those contacts and even check out the sensor heater for continuity with an ohmmeter. Doing a little more research I discovered if I had done that but tried to measure the sensor element with ohmmeter I could have damaged it. Will leave well enough alone. BTW is it normal for VSC and EC to reset themselves? Feels like summer is finally here in New England.
Old 05-27-08, 02:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Yes, they can reset themselves.