RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Vsc Vehicle Skid Control Light On?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 10:41 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vsc Vehicle Skid Control Light On?

Wen i bought this rx300 2001 i noticed the vsc vehicle skid control light is on i thought it was letting me know that it was on working while i was driving, i read the owners manuel today and noticed it said it must be off, if it turns on to contact the dealership, any advise would be apreciated. thanks in advance
Old 04-10-08, 08:37 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd first make sure all the warning lights come on for a short time when you first turn on the ignition switch. (To rule out the check engine light and other warning lights being burned out or disconnected).

Definitely none of those lights should normally be on. It sounds like you haven't had the RX long and can take it back for free repairs, so I won't speculate on some of the things it could possibly be.
Old 04-10-08, 09:15 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob2200
I'd first make sure all the warning lights come on for a short time when you first turn on the ignition switch. (To rule out the check engine light and other warning lights being burned out or disconnected).

Definitely none of those lights should normally be on. It sounds like you haven't had the RX long and can take it back for free repairs, so I won't speculate on some of the things it could possibly be.
i bought just last easter had 3000mile warranty or 3months, i followed lexmex advice on reseting efi fuse, it did the job no check engine light or vsc light no more, before i give it throttle the cel light would go on i believe now it was because the vsc light was on when i thought it was suppose to let me know it was working until the owners manuel said it suppose to be off but i doid the trick that lexmex said of taking fuse off efi, maybe dealership thought it was a problem so they sold it cheapest on market when it was minor i bought me a bargain awsome!
Old 04-10-08, 12:35 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by archangels
i bought just last easter had 3000mile warranty or 3months, i followed lexmex advice on reseting efi fuse, it did the job no check engine light or vsc light no more, before i give it throttle the cel light would go on i believe now it was because the vsc light was on when i thought it was suppose to let me know it was working until the owners manuel said it suppose to be off but i doid the trick that lexmex said of taking fuse off efi, maybe dealership thought it was a problem so they sold it cheapest on market when it was minor i bought me a bargain awsome!
Nevermind its back onany sugesstions? any help would be apreciated... thanks
Old 05-15-08, 06:04 PM
jocmarsh
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up a 2003 RX300 (72K miles) and as I was driving it home (about a 90 mile trip) the VSC and CEL lights came on. Scary! I checked this forum and was happy to see the info posted by LexMex and others. I tried the fuse reset and everything seemed fine for a day. 2 days later, the lights came on again. I have reset again and so far lights are off but I haven't done any significant driving since. I will take the car into AutoFair for a computer readout if the problem shows up again. I spoke with the previous owner and she said the only CEL she has had in 3 years was for a light leveling problem. That problem was fixed. I am assuming that the VSC CEL problem would not cause any damage if I drive the car for a while even if the lights come back on intermittently. Please someone correct me if that is a bad assumption. I will replace the a/f sensor if that is the source of the problem. This forum is great!

Thanks
Old 05-16-08, 05:28 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read for codes.
Old 05-16-08, 06:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Agreed, I need the codes, though if you aren't noticing anything dramatic (like hesitation or decreased performance), you probably have something as simple as a P0171 lean error. If it is a P0171, there might be a pending error in there.
Old 05-16-08, 07:29 AM
jocmarsh
Driver School Candidate

OOps! I meant Auto Zone, not Auto Fair for code readouts. Auto Fair is a car dealer. Since the car is running fine and gas mileage is 19-20mpg in local driving I doubt I have a serious problem. If the lights come back on I will get a check of the codes but may start off by cleaning the Mass Air Flow sensor first. It looks pretty straightforward.
Old 05-16-08, 07:32 AM
jocmarsh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club.

Agreed, I need the codes, though if you aren't noticing anything dramatic (like hesitation or decreased performance), you probably have something as simple as a P0171 lean error. If it is a P0171, there might be a pending error in there.
Lexmex, by pending error, do you mean a problem that is pending? I really appreciate your help.
Old 05-16-08, 08:01 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jocmarsh
I just picked up a 2003 RX300 (72K miles) and as I was driving it home (about a 90 mile trip) the VSC and CEL lights came on. Scary! I checked this forum and was happy to see the info posted by LexMex and others. I tried the fuse reset and everything seemed fine for a day. 2 days later, the lights came on again. I have reset again and so far lights are off but I haven't done any significant driving since. I will take the car into AutoFair for a computer readout if the problem shows up again. I spoke with the previous owner and she said the only CEL she has had in 3 years was for a light leveling problem. That problem was fixed. I am assuming that the VSC CEL problem would not cause any damage if I drive the car for a while even if the lights come back on intermittently. Please someone correct me if that is a bad assumption. I will replace the a/f sensor if that is the source of the problem. This forum is great!

Thanks
Didn't Auto Fair provide some kind of warranty? I would be highly suspicious if I just purchased a car from a used car dealer and the CEL came on on the drive home. They must have just reset the light on the lot. Try asking, maybe they will take care of it. You could get lucky and fix it by cleaning the MAF but this could also get very expensive. They may be reluctant to help once you start working on the car on your own.
Old 05-16-08, 02:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Lexmex, by pending error, do you mean a problem that is pending? I really appreciate your help.
It's a code that is in the system and can be read by the OBD2 scanner, but it is a code that is not enough to trigger the CEL.
Old 05-16-08, 04:11 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default i can help

Thanks
find out the code on ob2 first lexmex helped me alot heres the kool thing if the code reads on ob2 po171 or p0174 its probably the iacv valve sensor , there was one guy who took it to the dealership it had a faulty iacv sensor, so what i did by luck is all the recommendations in the begining sticky on rx300 by lexmex i made sure that throttlebody and especially that small hole in right side throttle body was sprayed good cleaning the iacv sensor i am sure it was dirty, ever since that i was amazed never popped up ever again a miricle happened! however when i first bought used at the dealership 30 miles driving home vsc light and cel light kept reappering each day, dealership who i bought from said just gas cap error needs to be put on right, but it wasn't. but only thing wrong would be something not functioning right that could lead to more fuel consumption, believe me when i clean my throttle body and etc i was amazed after cleaned it was dirty but not filthy dirty, and it ran good like a dream come true! i did buy some af sensors and o2 sensors, i have them just in case i need them but i might as well have my mechanic slap them on anyways i really don't like leaving it around, i bought it used my rx300 and like to have every maintenece up to date i love anything that helps maintain better fuel mileage and anything for maintaing long term of this rx as i plan to use as long as its up to it?

i might have my mechanic change out 02 and af sensor just for the heck of it there was one person in this forum that had 1 bad af sensor but changed both and gas mileage skyrocketed i love my rx and want to just keep going so driving on the road is fun especially if gas mileage saves from up to date maintenance.
Old 05-18-08, 01:44 PM
jocmarsh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikey00
Didn't Auto Fair provide some kind of warranty? I would be highly suspicious if I just purchased a car from a used car dealer and the CEL came on on the drive home. They must have just reset the light on the lot. Try asking, maybe they will take care of it. You could get lucky and fix it by cleaning the MAF but this could also get very expensive. They may be reluctant to help once you start working on the car on your own.
Mikey00, I didn't purchase car from AutoFair, I just confused names of AutoFair and Auto Zone. I purchased the car from a private party.

I am going to clean the MAF since lights came back on again. I bought some carb throttle cleaner to use as the cleaner since I saw somewhere that it is better to use than alcohol or contact cleaner. I hope that is not the wrong decision. I will post here how things work out.
Thanks again.
Old 05-18-08, 01:57 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikey00, I didn't purchase car from AutoFair, I just confused names of AutoFair and Auto Zone. I purchased the car from a private party.

I am going to clean the MAF since lights came back on again. I bought some carb throttle cleaner to use as the cleaner since I saw somewhere that it is better to use than alcohol or contact cleaner. I hope that is not the wrong decision. I will post here how things work out.
Thanks again.
Sorry, I guess I mis-interpeted your post. I would still get the codes read before you start taking things apart and cleaning them. It may be a simple gas cap/evap hose type code and you may start causing problems in areas where you currently don't have them.
Old 05-19-08, 07:30 AM
kasak
Rookie

Bought a 2003 RX 300 AWD with 51K miles from a BMW dealer for $17,300. Drove back home and next day went for shopping. The VSC and CEL light turned on. I haven't driven bad or anything.
I would be surprised if a reputed auhtorised BMW dealer would try to sell by just resetting so that the lights won't come on during test drive or sale.
Went to Autozone as suggested in this thread and got the codes - theer were 6 codes but the autozone guy said it comes to these 2 codes as the others were same or something.

P0442 - The PCM has determined that a small leak exists in the evaporative emission control system
Defintion - EVAP (evaporative emission system) small leak/no flow condition
Explanation - The evaporative emission system is monitored
Probable Causes -
1. Defective or loose fuel cap
2. EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
4 . Vaccum leak at engine

P0446 - The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent control in the evaporative emission control system.
Defintion - EVAP (evaporative emission system) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition
Explanation - The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts
Probable Causes -
1. Purge or vent solenoids defective
2. Check connector and wiring
3. Fuel saturated vapor canister
4 . Failed EVAP vent solenoid

So, experts, can you please tell me how bad is this? They gave a 3mon /3000mi limited warranty.

Last edited by kasak; 05-19-08 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Vsc Vehicle Skid Control Light On?