RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

engine oil and tranny oil question please advise. thanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 02:37 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine oil and tranny oil question please advise. thanks

i got a 2001 lexus rx 300 day before easter and don;t know much about these things, i was wondering how many quarts does this rx consume as i bought castrol 5w30 oil but i will switch over to synthetic mobil1 oil next oil change, also i was wondering when do you put new tranny oil (how many miles) and tranny gasket and filter and what oil to buy and where to buy the stuff for this so i can just pay labor costs to my mechanic thanks for your helpoh also how many tranny oil quarts and what brand weight and etc thanks
Old 04-13-08, 09:35 AM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

The best investment you can make is buy the workshop manual Volume 2.

Visit your local dealer and get a printout of services performed by Lexus. You can work out a service plan, with them and then choose the best place to get them performed [DIY, your mechanic or at Lexus].

There are some diy posted here in this Forum and others which you can follow.

Synthetics are great but regular oil is fine too. Just watch out for leak when you switch and remember not to go back to regular oil after extended synthetic use. My RX takes 5+qts with a filter change. I buy my filter + crush washer from Lexus.

Transmission service, typically is drain and fill. Some avid DIYers drop the pan and change filter. I buy my transfluid + crush washers from Lexus. I do a drain fill at 30k miles. The Lexus parts knew how much fluid I would need and sold me that many bottles. [That is exactly what I needed when U drained from the two places.. FWD].

What brand and how often the change is all debate-able. You can use the manufacturer's recommendations as minimum.

Some of the information you seek is in the owner's manual. Most of the other is in the workshop manual.

Salim
Old 04-13-08, 09:49 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

the AWD tranny takes 4.3 quarts to do a drain and refill. Use toyota type IV or AMsoil only, Or Mobil 3309 fluid.
Old 04-17-08, 02:47 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
The best investment you can make is buy the workshop manual Volume 2.

Visit your local dealer and get a printout of services performed by Lexus. You can work out a service plan, with them and then choose the best place to get them performed [DIY, your mechanic or at Lexus].

There are some diy posted here in this Forum and others which you can follow.

Synthetics are great but regular oil is fine too. Just watch out for leak when you switch and remember not to go back to regular oil after extended synthetic use. My RX takes 5+qts with a filter change. I buy my filter + crush washer from Lexus.

Transmission service, typically is drain and fill. Some avid DIYers drop the pan and change filter. I buy my transfluid + crush washers from Lexus. I do a drain fill at 30k miles. The Lexus parts knew how much fluid I would need and sold me that many bottles. [That is exactly what I needed when U drained from the two places.. FWD].

What brand and how often the change is all debate-able. You can use the manufacturer's recommendations as minimum.

Some of the information you seek is in the owner's manual. Most of the other is in the workshop manual.

Salim
salim i got a p0171 and p0174, i recently noticed when i accellerate i hear a rattling sound lke if you put a stone in a soda can and shake it around its not loud but after acceleration goes faster it stops any ideas buddy? thanks i was wondering if this whats what caused my vsc and cel light to keep coming on? thanks actually can you pm me or i might forget i wrote you thanks
Old 04-17-08, 02:49 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomas1
the AWD tranny takes 4.3 quarts to do a drain and refill. Use toyota type IV or AMsoil only, Or Mobil 3309 fluid.
is there a quick lube place that offer these tranny oil changes locally? thaks
Old 04-17-08, 03:16 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes your local toyota dealership, or Toyotas only type independent garage. Make sure it is toyota Type IV fluid only.......
Old 07-13-08, 09:53 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default oil filter remover?

does anyone know a good best tool to use on taking oil filter off? i have a 2 prong claw type that is not working due to length, can any none post a pics, are end caps better thanks
Old 07-13-08, 10:59 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

Well you need to determine which filter you would use.

I have a band tool which squeezes the sides as you spin the filter off. Sice the band is loose, I add couple of layers of mesh sandpaper (used to sand down sheet rock).

Salim
Old 07-14-08, 12:31 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Well you need to determine which filter you would use.

I have a band tool which squeezes the sides as you spin the filter off. Sice the band is loose, I add couple of layers of mesh sandpaper (used to sand down sheet rock).

Salim
you got a pics of that? as for the magnetic bolt bought on ebay was no good when i screwed it on oil pan firt 3 turns was nice then got stiff , so i put oem bolt back in oil pan, was not worth trying to see if it will fit wasn't worth double treading... engine runs smoother and quieter, if you go slightly above the the full level slightly is that ok? thanks salim and others for help