RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tranny!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 08:27 PM
HygieneDad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so here is my update...

The dealer told me that they tried and tried to replicate the problem but were unable to. They will not replace the transmission under their 60/40 split warranty they gave me when i purchased the car until they can replicate the problem.

I started going through this big file folder of all the service receipts the previous owners provided when they traded this car in and found one from the local (Portland) Lexus dealer where the last owner brought the car in because of the exact same thing - it acted like it was in neutral in reverse and in drive. They did an fluid flush and called it good. According to the documents he sold it a month later (wonder why!)

So after showing the service manager what I had her jaw pretty much dropped. She basically told me I should not have received those documents because of identity issues (addresses, phone numbers etc) and said things basically just changed. Although she didn't offer a new tranny they are offering to give me dealer credit for exactly what I purchased the car for and pick out a new one. However, they are an Acura dealer and have nothing in the same price range. I'd have to shell out about 6k just to get a comparable rig - an MDX.

I'd just like to get some of you guys thoughts on what I should do next. Do you think I have grounds to just demand a new tranny? Also, I think that I've read somewhere that for some reason once you replace these trannys they just aren't the same. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Old 04-21-08, 07:31 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Once you replace the tranny they are not a problem, I have a replacement in mine. The issue is the cost of that repair. A flush as far as I am concerned is a bad move on a higher mileage, RX. It can disturb sediment and contaminate the valve body of the transmission. There should be some other cars available, If they arent going to pony up on the tranny, take the money and run, unless you want to spend 2500 to 4500 on a replacement. By the way the MDX also had tranny issues, but Honda stood behind their product and did a recall. I believe they gave them a 100k miles warranty also,but check it out.
Old 04-22-08, 06:17 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HygieneDad

The dealer told me that they tried and tried to replicate the problem but were unable to. They will not replace the transmission under their 60/40 split warranty they gave me when i purchased the car until they can replicate the problem.

I started going through this big file folder of all the service receipts the previous owners provided when they traded this car in and found one from the local (Portland) Lexus dealer where the last owner brought the car in because of the exact same thing - it acted like it was in neutral in reverse and in drive. They did an fluid flush and called it good. According to the documents he sold it a month later (wonder why!)

So after showing the service manager what I had her jaw pretty much dropped. She basically told me I should not have received those documents because of identity issues (addresses, phone numbers etc) and said things basically just changed. Although she didn't offer a new tranny they are offering to give me dealer credit for exactly what I purchased the car for and pick out a new one. However, they are an Acura dealer and have nothing in the same price range. I'd have to shell out about 6k just to get a comparable rig - an MDX.

I'd just like to get some of you guys thoughts on what I should do next. Do you think I have grounds to just demand a new tranny? Also, I think that I've read somewhere that for some reason once you replace these trannys they just aren't the same. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Things have changed in your favor. If they didn't disclose previous transmission issues to you, even though it is clearly documented in the service records, then they know that they are liable for the tranny repair. They want to give a credit for another vehicle so that they can sell the RX to some unsuspecting mark or send it to auction and not have to fork out for the cost of the repair. I would hold them to their sale and make them repair the tranny. After all, they didn't disclose the problems to you. You will have a better vehicle in the end.
Old 04-22-08, 07:19 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
My 2001 @127K is starting to have the reverse issue. Once every couple of weeks it goes into reverse with a clunk. Then it works fine for a couple of weeks. I have always maintained my trans using drain and fills and have recently had it flushed at the Toyota dealer. The reverse issue started a couple of weeks and about 700 miles after the flush. I plan on pulling the counter gear speed sensor, and a turbine input sensor, cleaning them and swapping their positions maybe tomorrow. If this doesn't do anything I guess my next move will be to call Lexus and see if they are willing to provide any assistance. Being that the car is 7 years old and has 127K, I bet they tell me to get lost.
My car's been doing that for a long time - goes into reverse with a "clunk". But is this an issue? I've always had this noise - not to mention the additional effort to go from P to R all the time.
Old 04-22-08, 09:14 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I wonder if your transmission range sensor which is mounted on the transaxle is flakey. It controls the ecu for shifting from park to reverse, drive, etc.
Old 05-13-08, 10:06 PM
marauder95
Driver School Candidate

Not to jack the thread, but...

AWD 2001 RX 300 was giving me some trouble with reverse about a month ago. Shifted to R, eased on the gas...nothing. Then, suddenly, it engaged and lurched. Last night, noticed that while in D the tranny was slipping (Tach was jumping back and forth). Rolled to a stop and put it in park. Put it through all gears (R, D, 2, etc) and got nothing...like it was in neutral. I am just shy of 87000 miles. People keep telling me that Toyota/Lexus run forever. I am the second owner with no warranty. Got it at 53K. Had it towed and the pan dropped today. Apparently the filter is clogged with metal shavings and the magnets in the pan are full, too. I don't know much about cars but this doesn't sound right. Tranny problems before the 90K service? Independent shop says $2500-4000.
Old 05-14-08, 05:18 AM
smerre01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My God MAN! I have 99 w/ 180K on it that we got from family used, no telling how many prior owners or service history. I am getting ready to do my first Tranny service once Amsoil gets the fluid here.

Reading all of these posts on tranny problems has me paranoid now, lol, I have to quit reading them, going to jinx myself. I wish all of you with the problems the best of luck though.
Old 05-14-08, 06:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
Thanks,

A well respected local shop has it. They said $1700-$2700 with a 1 year warranty.
Wow,what shop is this?Full rebuild?I do agree that a lot of these shop`s,and even the dealerships are too quick to say that the whole trans is bad.When most likely it`s only a speed sensor,or something simple.

Last edited by lexus114; 05-14-08 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added
Old 05-14-08, 06:23 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HygieneDad

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Oh man,I hate when they say that : (
Old 05-14-08, 07:27 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

I am on my third tranny, the second one was defective new... I have 50k miles on this tranny and it works great.... I however now do a fluid change (drain and fill) every 15k miles or less.....Yes the new tranny should work just fine, assuming it is done right....
Old 05-14-08, 11:20 AM
marauder95
Driver School Candidate

If tranny problems are common, why don't ratings magazines like Consumer Reports know about it? I bought my RX based on their findings. Nothing led me to believe there was a history of transmission problems for this model. Is it more common in AWD vs FWD? Certain model years?

I imagine if there are metal shavings in the filter and pan I don't have a sensor problem...
Old 05-14-08, 11:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Well,statistics are showing mostly AWD,and generally 99-01.From 2002 on,they corrected the problem.If it`s any consultation I did the same research,i.e Consumer reports,and everything was rated excellent on the RX.Hence,the main reason I own one.That and I love the body style/Toyota reliability.I`m still very glad that I got this vehicle,as I posted before,Put some money aside(hopefully you won`t need it)
Old 05-14-08, 12:44 PM
marauder95
Driver School Candidate

Just received the estimate:

$2100 in parts, $3500 in labor for a grand total of $5600. I think the guy named every part that could be involved in the transmission and said it needed to be replaced. Clutches, front something-or-other, an EPC solenoid, some other type of sensor...

For those who have had this done, does this sound right? This is with my buddy getting me a deal on labor.
Old 05-14-08, 01:13 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

absolutely not....Heck the Lexus dealership is cheaper....Go somewhere else and get an estimate for a rebuilt transmission. That guy is way out of line....I have not heard of anyone paying that much, not even at the dealerships.... That is no deal. Tow it to Lexus or Toyota and get it done if you dont have another tranny shop with better prices. My friend got his done for $2600 out the door. I paid $4300 at Lexus.... Labor at the most should only be $1700 and then the tranny...
Old 05-14-08, 02:55 PM
marauder95
Driver School Candidate

Ok...just got off the phone with a Independent Toyota/Lexus shop:
$3800 Parts, $1300 Labor plus a 5% discount. Apparently they want to use a remanufactured transmission from Lexus. He explained that the labor and parts are opposite the other shop because the "all make" transmission shop intends to rebuild an aftermarket tranny. By the way he described it, I would rather have a Lexus remanufactured tranny than an aftermarket rebuilt tranny with used parts. Am I getting this right? He said that's why the labor is so much more expensive and the parts are cheaper.

Option C is to take it to a dealer, see what they will give my for it and put that down on the loan.

Any advice? Again, sorry to jack your thread, HygieneDad. Didn't want to post a parallel tranny thread.

Quick Reply: Tranny!!