RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

A big black muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08 | 12:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Default A big black muffler

I can tell you after driving around, my RX still suffers from loudness at WOT. This is what my two uncles installed before I left and I can tell you I am glad they did. It is off a BMW and does have a two in two out and plenty of room for the exhaust flow, though I will likely remove it at some point in the future.

Some initial observations about life at sea level. The RX does pull but appears to have an issue about 3 to 5 seconds after WOT throttle where it seems too much air is coming in. Will likely pull the battery cable to check this out. Gas mileage is at least 24 mpg. Not sure when I will go to the track, but I still want to check out the acceleration/air intake issue I have been having on WOT, but other than that it runs just fine.

Have emailed a provider of Amsoil ATF, and hope to get to that on the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails A big black muffler-img_1073.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 10-24-08 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-16-08 | 12:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Police still looked at me funny when I drove by, but no issues yet with this muffler.
Attached Thumbnails A big black muffler-img_1074.jpg  
Old 04-16-08 | 12:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

More shots
Attached Thumbnails A big black muffler-img_1075.jpg  
Old 04-16-08 | 12:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

My uncle Antonio did some excellent welding here
Attached Thumbnails A big black muffler-img_1076.jpg  
Old 04-16-08 | 12:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And one more
Attached Thumbnails A big black muffler-img_1077.jpg  
Old 04-16-08 | 12:30 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

sweeeet! glad all is well here at sea level haha. yea i get dirty looks from cops, but I haven't been pulled over yet. I still struggle to get even 21mpg on highway from boca to coral springs, so I may open up my piping a little more. who knows maybe you will come down here and we coudl do some major damage on my car haha!
Old 04-17-08 | 06:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well, so far have been using Chevron and BP (as the test) to see any noticeable difference and the Chevron is really loved by the RX, I get about 1 mpg more and have been driving all over the place, though just filling up $10 USD at a time (still getting used to that, though gas prices are cheaper here). Plan to perhaps stop by Lexus of Sarasota today. I already have met a few RX300 owners at parking lots and getting nothing but great comments, and have added a few members to the club in the process.

As far as the muffler, I am looking at something simple like an APC or something on the back. The muffler shops I have talked to seem to know less than me, but granted I too know very few people who have ripped out their car's guts as much as I have.

I did see that muffler you put on their miniround and that is possible given you have your precats, cats, main resonator. Shouldn't have much problem there. I may think about a FlowMaster in my case, though an offset 2 into 1.
Old 04-17-08 | 09:32 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Keep us updated, Ron. I love the look of your muffler right now, I wish I could paint my stainless steel Magnaflow one matte black, and just leave the tip SS. Let me know if you're ever in Northern California, I'll take you to a dragstrip or something haha.
Old 04-18-08 | 08:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well yesterday we toyed with the air intake a bit. I had to remove the bumper part of the intake, because when I start her up, I get 2000 RPM easily in park and 1250 rpm in drive. Still have to do some more work today, but the little truck does pull now with reckless abandon. I am hoping to install my Weapon-R intake again today with some modifications I picked up at Home Depot to get it to quiet down just a bit and pull the RPMs down to 750.

Last edited by Lexmex; 10-24-08 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-18-08 | 04:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Manged to get the D rpm down to 1000 rpm with the re-addition of the Weapon-R filter. I am still amazed at the amount of oxygen in the air at sea level. My engine just screams down here and pulls even with the big muffler on the end. Still have a bit of work to do on it (some pvc additions) before I try it out at the track, but boy is it fun off the red light.
Old 04-23-08 | 08:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Hey lex,Welcome back home!! And i was just curious,are you still using regular unleaded fuel?
Old 04-23-08 | 08:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Using 93 octane Chevron, though plan to run some Sunoco as I have seen some stations around here.

I am really tempted to take my RX out to the Bradenton 1/4 mile track, but the big black muffler here is not allowing me quite the smooth power I was expecting for acceleration, though it does pull. I think in a bit I plan to put in a 2 in 1 out APC muffler underneath as resonator and move the Kire muffler I have underneath now to the back as the muffler. However, my uncle was right about the noise. Yesterday, I was at the light here on Manatee Avenue here in Brandenton, and I just toasted another RX300 (sorry I just couldn't resist and they were asking for it), but boy was it ever loud. Will try to get some sound clips this afternoon.

I don't do much highway driving around here, but I have been getting an MPG of about 23.5 around town.
Old 04-23-08 | 10:07 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Thats a whole lot better than I get around town,I`m around 19.5 now.I can live with that I guess.
Old 04-23-08 | 02:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have to take another video tomorrow morning as my batteries need to be recharged on my camera.

Well, odd thing is that my tires are on 35 psi (since I was carrying a ton of cargo on my trip to Florida), Lil4X can testify to this, and probably will get even better gas mileage after I get them up to about 39 psi or so.
Old 04-26-08 | 05:02 PM
BBLexus
Driver

Default Fuel mileage

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Using 93 octane Chevron, though plan to run some Sunoco as I have seen some stations around here.

I am really tempted to take my RX out to the Bradenton 1/4 mile track, but the big black muffler here is not allowing me quite the smooth power I was expecting for acceleration, though it does pull. I think in a bit I plan to put in a 2 in 1 out APC muffler underneath as resonator and move the Kire muffler I have underneath now to the back as the muffler. However, my uncle was right about the noise. Yesterday, I was at the light here on Manatee Avenue here in Brandenton, and I just toasted another RX300 (sorry I just couldn't resist and they were asking for it), but boy was it ever loud. Will try to get some sound clips this afternoon.

I don't do much highway driving around here, but I have been getting an MPG of about 23.5 around town.
Wow on the fuel mileage. I run regular unleaded and in the city I get about 16 mpg, combined about 21 and on the highway about 25. Is reason you are getting better city mileage due to the higher octane?

Quick Reply: A big black muffler