RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Should I change my transmission fluid in a high mileage RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 07:39 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

LexMex did you just do a drain and fill or did you do a manual fluid exchange like Amsoil gives instructions on their site???
Old 04-30-08, 08:00 AM
smerre01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you guys always buy your ATF from Lexus/Toyota or do you use something from say like advanced auto parts. I see where they carry the correct type of fluid (TIV I think, don't have my book w/ me) but not sure if I should use that or the Toyota/Lexus stuff.
Old 04-30-08, 08:18 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Just dont get confused at the auto parts stores, Dexron IV is not the same stuff. The only fluids other than Toyota Type IV are: Mobil 3309 or AMsoil ATF synthethic.

Last edited by thomas1; 04-30-08 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-30-08, 01:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Amsoil I bought at Carquest. In fact they seemed to have virtually ever other Amsoil lubricant available there. As far as changing it out, I didn't follow any Amsoil or any other method, just the same drain and fill that I always do (tranny pan and front differential).
Old 04-30-08, 01:58 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Just did 1st drain and fill today for my RX with Amsoil ATF. Already noticing differences, smoother/slightly quicker turnovers on shifts and also no occasional hesitation between shifts.

Is this what you used? Does Amsoil have another ATF or just the universal?

I'm looking to try this out after I finish whats left of a case of Type IV.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
Old 04-30-08, 02:43 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Thats the stuff.....
Old 04-30-08, 03:10 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool..thanks.
Old 04-30-08, 04:38 PM
supra_trd
Driver

I drain and refill my RX every 6000 miles. It feel faster everytime the new fluid going in the trans.
Old 04-30-08, 05:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

That's the stuff. Really happy to finally get this into my tranny. Today Actually had my friend Michael who has a Corvette Z06 change out to Amsoil ATF in his car, since Dexron III can be substituted by the Amsoil ATF (we also added Castrol 0W30 for his oil and Royal Purple for his differential).
Old 05-01-08, 06:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That's the stuff. Really happy to finally get this into my tranny. Today Actually had my friend Michael who has a Corvette Z06 change out to Amsoil ATF in his car, since Dexron III can be substituted by the Amsoil ATF (we also added Castrol 0W30 for his oil and Royal Purple for his differential).
Hey Lex,your a 0w-30 man,what do you think of the Amsoil signature series 0w-30 oil?
Old 05-01-08, 06:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I think it is also an excellent oil. I am going to consider trying it next oil change, (since I saw it the other day at Carquest), as a test.

Keep in mind, I HIGHLY recommend the Castrol 0W30. It was very much pushed through its paces by me back in Mexico (and also many track friends who paid $15 USD a liter, some $30 USD a liter) for it and were extremely satisfied with it. In Florida, it has a relatively tranquil life, so we will never fully know if Amsoil would have done better. I knew a guy at the U.S. embassy with an RX300 and he ran 5W30 Amsoil (had it imported) and found it quite adequate. I think he was running 5 to 6K drains on it with no loss in consumption.
Old 05-01-08, 08:02 AM
smerre01
Rookie

Okay, I have 99 RX300 that we bought from family, and to be honest I can't verify what if anything was ever done to it. I was going to flush the tranny, but have decided against it at this point. I want to drop the pan and replace the filter. Where do you guys buy your tranny filters from? I have heard mention of filter replacement kits, but have not yet found those. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-01-08, 08:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

smerre,If you have a Carquest down their in SC,that is where i got my filter kit from.What i liked best was,it came with the factory type screen,not the paper element kind.I have found it to work well so far.
Old 05-01-08, 04:08 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
I'm not a trans. mech. but I do know a little about vehicle maintenance. (and a few other things) If it were my car I would always pull the pan and clean ( if screen) or replace if fiber. When I did my DIL's Rx I pulled the line from the trans. to rad. and pumped the old fluid out as I filled the trans. until the fluid came out nice and pretty red. (it does it pretty abruptly when all of the old fluid is out). That way I have changed ALL the fluid at one time and am not going back 2 or 3 times to change the fluid . And though I admit if you change it enough times (pan) it will pretty much do the job- you will NEVER get all of the old fluid out that way and at $4.50- $7. a quart you will use more fluid in the process of not changing ALL of the fluid. Just the way I prefer to do it. Ya pays your money, your entitled to do it any way you want to- BUT BY ALL MEANS DO IT! Don't do the flush and don't listen to the guys that say not to change it above 80k if it hasn't ever been done. That's nonsense. I would hate to think that the dirt inside the transmission was the only thing holding it together. Oh, and did I mention- don't do the flush!
code58,
Did you clean your screen? If so what did you find? I want to do mine but I remember a post awhile back claiming the screen was a sealed box with inlet and outlet. Can anyone confirm this? You couldn't see the screen and it was difficult to clean. If that's the case I may just order a new screen online. Definetly don't want paper or fiber.
Old 05-02-08, 06:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

You can see the screen, but not all of it. There is a hole at the top and you can see in. See this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=347216

Incidentally, I had to leave that old tranny behind in Mexico. I wanted to see what caused it to fail (that was the RAV4 tranny), but it just weighed way too much and we were already weighed down.

I usually pick up my filters (paper ones though) at Toyota and just ask for the 1st gen V6 filter along with gasket.

Quick Reply: Should I change my transmission fluid in a high mileage RX?